PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-23-2010, 04:22 PM #85
Thorpydo
dede!

Thorpydo is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Purpose of the 2nd extruder will be for a support material, probably PLA- to do under hangs.
Thorpydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2010, 04:37 PM #86
theitalianbubble
Monastery.Flapjack

Here's my two cents into this thread.

This is a gun I'm currently designing in my high school class. It is not functional, and not really supposed to be at this point, however this is probably the 20th revision to this basic concept, mainly due to my teacher is incompetent, and has the "Find it out on your own" tactic. Which works in some aspects but really doesn't help me do ANYTHING. This is comprised of extrusions, fillets, and chamfers in the 2010 Inventor program.(Don't know if this is the greatest program for this type of work but I can't really pick and choose.)

The eye cover holes are just temporary, and this is currently a working progress.

And I'm looking for some tips on the following:

-Places I can find basic Paintball dimensions and specs; such as ASA threads, autococker barrel threads, and things of that nature.
-How I can create 3 dimensional milling; alternatives to just extruding and filleting.
-Pneumatic do's and dont's
-Other general tips and tricks.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
theitalianbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:43 PM #87
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Leafy helped look for balloons
most of the thread standards are in a sticky in the voided warranty section. Inverter is a decent program, its not as good as solid works but it get the job done. for 3d milling you can try using the loft or sweep commands and I'm sure you know about the mirror command. If you get really daring you can try surfacing but thats hard and I havent spend too much time in inventor or solidworks trying to figure the damn feature out.
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM #88
nerve2030

i got some good info for you pm me your email and ill send it to you. as far as orings and oring design goes http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3455833
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 AM #89
M98custom1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
most of the thread standards are in a sticky in the voided warranty section. Inverter is a decent program, its not as good as solid works but it get the job done. for 3d milling you can try using the loft or sweep commands and I'm sure you know about the mirror command. If you get really daring you can try surfacing but thats hard and I havent spend too much time in inventor or solidworks trying to figure the damn feature out.
Solidworks please.. Inventor 2011 is far better then Solidworks

Before you ask if I have even used Solidworks..Well Yes I have used Solidworks 2009/2010, PRO E Wildfire 4.0, Catia V5, Inventor 2010/201, Mastercam X3/X4, Gibbs Cam, Bob Cad V23

I use Inventor 2011 as my main designing program and Bob Cad to write the tool paths.

OLD FEEDBACK

No Custom Milling Without A Deposit
CAD/CAM Engineer

Last edited by M98custom1212 : 09-24-2010 at 01:53 PM.
M98custom1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 AM #90
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

They actually made it better? once inventor went to ribbons it went to ****. The only thing inventor used to have over SW was that its easier to use, but once they put the ribbon in they killed it.
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 AM #91
M98custom1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
They actually made it better? once inventor went to ribbons it went to ****. The only thing inventor used to have over SW was that its easier to use, but once they put the ribbon in they killed it.
Yes far better then Solidworks.

What I have noticed- the help function is actually helpful, as are the tutorials. (even more advanced ones)

The main functions show up in the model space I will show you want i mean

The thread command (makes counterbore, treads etc) and oring design

OLD FEEDBACK

CAD/CAM Engineer
Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 AM #92
desertT1
The Burninator

I'm going to call it "Lucifer's Gaze" and it'll be made if I ever can save up some cash and stop starting a new project before a current one is finished.

Default explode, I didn't feel like messing with it, I'm tired.

The barrels are 12", will be using FREAK bored BL Assassin's. I have everything else, so I didn't model it, the barrels are there so I had some sort of scale reference. Very generic and overly thick. Comments, questions?

Thanks Photobucket for crapping out the quality... oh well.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 AM #93
M98custom1212

^You doing the machining your self?

OLD FEEDBACK

CAD/CAM Engineer
Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 AM #94
nerve2030

from that demo it looks to be catching up to sw (sw has been able to do the heads up sketch and dynamic edit feature since at least 08 they added a feature called rapid sketch in 09 so you can pull geom to the length or size you want) and i for see some of the "smart" features being too smart for their own good if you know what i mean what if i wanted not concentric and coincident mate but a concentric and offset mate now i would have to be careful where i put the mouse or i get unintended relations. and i still have yet to see one of the most time conserving features in assembly the pattern by pattern feature. this lets me make 1 hole and pattern it then when i want to put screws in that hole i insert one screw (that auto sizes itself) and then i can when i hit pattern it asks what components do i want to pattern and what is the seed feature then if i ever change the number of holes in the pattern my assembly automatically follows whatever the pattern in the base part does. oh and if i change the size of the hole it resizes the bolt and nut.
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 AM #95
desertT1
The Burninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M98custom1212 View Post
^You doing the machining your self?
Nah, I would if I had the tools though. cs900 has done some work for me in the past and I enjoy the results he gives me. I've already been talking to him about it and the ball is in my court now.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:52 PM #96
M98custom1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerve2030 View Post
from that demo it looks to be catching up to sw (sw has been able to do the heads up sketch and dynamic edit feature since at least 08 they added a feature called rapid sketch in 09 so you can pull geom to the length or size you want) and i for see some of the "smart" features being too smart for their own good if you know what i mean what if i wanted not concentric and coincident mate but a concentric and offset mate now i would have to be careful where i put the mouse or i get unintended relations. and i still have yet to see one of the most time conserving features in assembly the pattern by pattern feature. this lets me make 1 hole and pattern it then when i want to put screws in that hole i insert one screw (that auto sizes itself) and then i can when i hit pattern it asks what components do i want to pattern and what is the seed feature then if i ever change the number of holes in the pattern my assembly automatically follows whatever the pattern in the base part does. oh and if i change the size of the hole it resizes the bolt and nut.
Thats just is small taste what inventor 2011 has. I didn't like solidworks so I switched, if you like by all means use Solidworks.

I still use solidworks because thats all we have at school.

OLD FEEDBACK

CAD/CAM Engineer
Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 PM #97
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Mechanical Bull for my second Kinematics project.

The coupler curve is insane, not as crazy as some of the ones we came up with with a geared 5 bar but the professor said those were to complicated. Its going to have to go very slow to not kill the person/ actually be ride able.
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 PM #98
Spitlebug
I'm rule 34...

Spitlebug is a Supporting Member
Spitlebug donated to help Peyton Trent
Spitlebug has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Spitlebug has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spitlebug is attending Decay of Nations VI
Screw it. Thin the gene pool.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 AM #99
Hob Hayward

Quote:
Originally Posted by M98custom1212 View Post
Thats just is small taste what inventor 2011 has. I didn't like solidworks so I switched, if you like by all means use Solidworks.

I still use solidworks because thats all we have at school.
Also note solidworks has the same mating system, you just have to hold down buttons to do it. It's nice becuase it gives you the option, but doesn't force it on you.

You can also set up smart mates if you need to do a lot the same part (i.e. screws). I usually find that the auto mate when you ctrl drag out duplicate parts does a good job though.

But yeah, that video made it sound like inventor is doing a ton of catch up, and I wouldn't be surprised to see their best ideas implemented in the next solidworks.
Hob Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM #100
paintballa8224
Engineer in the Making

anybody use solid edge?

Just starting to work with that in the Computer Aided Engineering class I'm taking. I dont think I like it as much as inventor or autocad.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
paintballa8224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 PM #101
thatdoolinkid

I'm telling you all nx is the way to go......if you have half a million $ in your pocket :p

"The problem isn't a need for more 'idiot proof' guns. The problem is they keep making better idiots!"
-anonymous
thatdoolinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 PM #102
theitalianbubble
Monastery.Flapjack

Heres an update on my work

This model I just recently did, however it is flawed, and there is problems with it that I'd rather address by just starting over.

The overall premise to this is to see what milling I could create using the loft tool, and yes it was a long and painful process.

So here you go

theitalianbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 AM #103
M98custom1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballa8224 View Post
anybody use solid edge?

Just starting to work with that in the Computer Aided Engineering class I'm taking. I dont think I like it as much as inventor or autocad.
I have remind me of basic version of solidworks

OLD FEEDBACK

CAD/CAM Engineer
Old 11-11-2010, 01:30 AM #104
Spitlebug
I'm rule 34...

Spitlebug is a Supporting Member
Spitlebug donated to help Peyton Trent
Spitlebug has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Spitlebug has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spitlebug is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by theitalianbubble View Post
Heres an update on my work

This model I just recently did, however it is flawed, and there is problems with it that I'd rather address by just starting over.

The overall premise to this is to see what milling I could create using the loft tool, and yes it was a long and painful process.
That's really not that bad, though I wouldn't want to mill that. Too many operations. You'd be better off thinning out the cuts.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:15 AM #105
desertT1
The Burninator

A little something I've been working on. The business I'm in has an affinity for acronyms, so I thought I'd carry that on. I couldn't come up with one, so it's either ROATS (Reach Out And Touch Somebody), or The FSS (First Strike Sniper). Anything in black is either Phantom, or COTS. Default Pro/E is mine. Boring 12" barrel for a little scale.

I don't mind if people borrow the idea for the feed, just so long as if the detent system gets borrowed, I get at least a mention :p

8 rounds, internal magazine fed. Would be suitable for either FS rounds, or regular paintballs.