Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM #1
SonicCyborgPballer

drop forwards

i dont really understand the appeal to them.
they seem like they would be uncomfortable.

anyone here use one? and if so why?
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 PM #2
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Depends on tank length. A short drop lets you use a longer tank than you'd be able to use with out one. Flip it around and you can use a shorter tank than you'd normally be comfortable with.

Posture comes into it as well. If all you play is that stereotypical speedball "power stance" where you're leaning way forward with a hunch back and your head way in front of your chest and shoulders, then no, a drop DEFINITELY is not for you. But if you play upright, or leaning slightly back...say to get behind tall thin cover, like a tree or single hyperball tube... you might need a much shorter setup than a simple bottom line can provide.

And if you do that super old school "Z formation" where you're kneeling and leaning so far back that your head is now behind your feet, well you might just need the uberdrop.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:23 PM #3
SonicCyborgPballer

ok now i get it. thanks it makes sense now. ive been wondering that for years. i play mostly speedball, some woodsball and ive always been happy with the conventional setup lol
Old 08-21-2010, 10:07 AM #4
loneassassin
A Grim and...

They were originally invented because Hpa tanks were so huge, you couldn't really shoulder your gun with a normal bottomline. But nowadays tanks/regs are a lot shorter so a drop makes it feel really tight - too tight for me.

I rocked medium and small drops for quite some time, but after awhile I got a Myth reg which made my setup way too short. Overall I prefer a slightly stretched out stance more anyway; I can be a lot more accurate while running and gunning that way.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 PM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Dropforwards became popular because the bunker design of the time was completely different. Most speedball fields had bunkers that were lower, smaller, and completely inflexible, usually made of wood or plastic. Playing these properly meant making yourself as small a target as possible, almost always on your knees, with little room behind and on the sides to shoulder a tank.

When fields changed, so did tank setups.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM #6
PumpChump131

To me, Drop fowards were meant for better balance of the whole gun setup and tighter profile.

Autococker parts... Don't need them, can't stop buying them.
PumpChump131 is offline   Reply With Quote