Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-22-2010, 04:28 PM #1
CNYpaintballer

Orange Tip, required by law?????

Just as it says, is the orange tip on the front of the gun required to be there???? I am uncertain of the reason for it. I have an airsoft pistol that didn't come with an orange tip but most others have them in some form.
CNYpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 AM #2
CNYpaintballer

SO I did some more digging and I guess I do need it in place.

A small forum I run. Check it out:
http://www.garageretreat.com/forums/
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 PM #3
Noltez
Ψ

Short answer is it's advisable to keep it in place. There doesn't seem to be a law stating the end user from removing it, but then there's a transport issue. Letter of the law says the blaze tip must be at least 1/4" (6mm in Canada) and afixed to the replica for sale or transport.

....▪Young Players "Making Money" FAQ
....▪General Shipping Costs Guide & FAQ
Noltez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:09 AM #4
mymutter
I crack myself up!

mymutter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
The Customs and Border Protection FAQ page states that Airsoft guns are not considered toys and do not require orange tips for importation

American federal laws require minimum 6 mm (0.24 in) orange tips to be present on all "toy guns" while being transported within or imported into the United States

All I could find with a quick search. Brings up the problem, these are designed to shoot at people, thus being a toy, but if airsoft markers are not "toys" then they are NOT required. Might have something to do with FPS of the projectile if you dig more into it, anything under 150fps is considered a "toy".

My feelings are that kingman decided to err on the side of caution. If they made it without an orange tip, and a police officer shoots someone because they thought it was a real marker, kingmann may be facing a lawsuit. However, because they only ship with the 6mm blaze tip........

If you play in your yards which are visible to other people of the street then I would not remove, what would be the point. If you are going to a paintball field and want to remove it then I would do so only at the field. legally you might be able to remove it, but why in hell would ya?

Last edited by mymutter : 09-12-2010 at 11:12 AM.
mymutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM #5
CNYpaintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymutter View Post
If you are going to a paintball field and want to remove it then I would do so only at the field. legally you might be able to remove it, but why in hell would ya?
I mostly wanted to remove it for woodsball. Trying to keep from having bright colors.

When I am not using it, I have the tip on.

A small forum I run. Check it out:
http://www.garageretreat.com/forums/
Old 09-27-2012, 03:21 PM #6
rickwarnack

rickwarnack is playing at Living Legends VI
rickwarnack has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
rickwarnack has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
rickwarnack is attending Decay of Nations VI
you need it, and you won't get shoot by the cops either with it on! lol
rickwarnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 PM #7
venarius

has been a member for 10 years
Use a little common sense and you should be good.

I wouldn't walk around or drive without the orange tip on...

But when actually in field sanctioned play you can remove it. I'd be weary of removing it for outlaw ball though...
Autococker (built from scratch myself back in the day!)
venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:02 PM #8
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
Use common sense as these other guys have said, but of you really hate it I'm sure if you don't walk around in public wavin it around you should be fine.
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM #9
shinjinian

shinjinian has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
shinjinian has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
shinjinian has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Legally air soft replicas (or any gun replica) are required to be manufactured with the orange tip, as well as shipped (only by stores) I don't believe there's any law paintball manufactures have to include an orange tip and its perfectly legal to remove it. There's only one small screw holding it in so its easy to remove if you don't like it.
shinjinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM #10
Blueburby1

everyone who is saying a cop won't shoot because of that orange tip is dead wrong.

If you point a paintball marker at a cop, expect to get shot and killed, orange tip or not...the officer doesn't know it's a paintball marker, and in the case of space guns, he's got no way of knowing if your loaded with Pballs, PepperBalls, or marbles.

For the record, they sell blaze orange paint, I think I'll go let all the criminals know all they gotta do is paint the first 6mm of their barrels blaze orange so they don't get shot -rolleyes-

it's a cover the manufacturers *** thing, and thats all...the fact it's been made a law is stupid beyond belief when you look at the reality of the issues.

go ahead and remove it, just don't be stupid and carry it into a bank

/endrant
Blueburby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:29 PM #11
HeatedNubbycake
^^^Gamertag^^^

HeatedNubbycake plays in the PSP
HeatedNubbycake supports Team VICIOUS
HeatedNubbycake supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwarnack View Post
you need it, and you won't get shoot by the cops either with it on! lol
Bull****. an orange tip does absolutely nothing. If you brandish a "replica gun", orange tip or not, your asking for trouble.
Quote:
The Customs and Border Protection FAQ page states that Airsoft guns are not considered toys and do not require orange tips for importation

American federal laws require minimum 6 mm (0.24 in) orange tips to be present on all "toy guns" while being transported within or imported into the United States

All I could find with a quick search. Brings up the problem, these are designed to shoot at people, thus being a toy, but if airsoft markers are not "toys" then they are NOT required. Might have something to do with FPS of the projectile if you dig more into it, anything under 150fps is considered a "toy".

My feelings are that kingman decided to err on the side of caution. If they made it without an orange tip, and a police officer shoots someone because they thought it was a real marker, kingmann may be facing a lawsuit. However, because they only ship with the 6mm blaze tip........

If you play in your yards which are visible to other people of the street then I would not remove, what would be the point. If you are going to a paintball field and want to remove it then I would do so only at the field. legally you might be able to remove it, but why in hell would ya?
This------^

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinjinian View Post
Legally air soft replicas (or any gun replica) are required to be manufactured with the orange tip, as well as shipped (only by stores) I don't believe there's any law paintball manufactures have to include an orange tip and its perfectly legal to remove it. There's only one small screw holding it in so its easy to remove if you don't like it.
It is Legal in most states to remove the orange tip on airsoft guns, though it is heavily dependent on state and local laws. Some townships and other local governments do require orange tips to be in place at all times. Others dont give a damn. It is however YOUR responsibility to be RESPONSIBLE with it. Regardless of if there is an orange tip on it, its painted pink, or shoots a little boom flag out the barrel. if it looks like a real gun. be VERY careful when bringing it out anywhere but a sanctioned field. That goes for Paintball or airsoft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueburby1 View Post
everyone who is saying a cop won't shoot because of that orange tip is dead wrong.

If you point a paintball marker at a cop, expect to get shot and killed, orange tip or not...the officer doesn't know it's a paintball marker, and in the case of space guns, he's got no way of knowing if your loaded with Pballs, PepperBalls, or marbles.

For the record, they sell blaze orange paint, I think I'll go let all the criminals know all they gotta do is paint the first 6mm of their barrels blaze orange so they don't get shot -rolleyes-

it's a cover the manufacturers *** thing, and thats all...the fact it's been made a law is stupid beyond belief when you look at the reality of the issues.

go ahead and remove it, just don't be stupid and carry it into a bank

/endrant
This guy hit it nail on the head . The fact of the matter is, most people outside of "combat sports" know very little the difference between fake and real guns. there are plenty of cases of criminals painting the tips of real guns blaze orange, in an effort to conceal them as toys. This has made the orange tip moderately obsolete, and more of a precaution against lawsuits then anything to indicate a difference between fake and real guns. If you feel the absolute need to remove it (very difficult to see in the forest anyway, trust me), do so on the field, and if you need it off off the field, use your brain, extensively. because even if its on your property, if a neighbor calls in your swinging a gun around in your back yard. your SOL.

The only urine sample your getting from me is a taste test.
HeatedNubbycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM #12
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
Quote:

Bolded part made me laugh..

"GET HIM OUT REF!! ON HIS FACE! ON HIS FACE!!!"

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 PM #13
thenoob23
Dayton Distortion

thenoob23 is playing at Living Legends VI
thenoob23 supports Team VICIOUS
Common sense would say you can take it off just dont wave it around in public with out some sort of case.
Rotor W/ Speedfeed
Super Freak Kit
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
thenoob23 is offline   Reply With Quote