PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 PM #106
HYDE - Team Mayhem
We make paintball mayhem

Absolutely correct...

reportedcube, post your results afterwards please.
HYDE - #16
Captain, Team MayheM

-UPDATE YOUR SCENARIO TEAM CONTACT INFO HERE-

Proudly Sponsored by:
Strategy Plus Paintball, East Hampton, CT
HYDE - Team Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 AM #107
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

abenguyen owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
abenguyen posts videos on PbNation
abenguyen plays in the APPA beginner division
abenguyen supports DLX Technology
so this is the ultimate dwell guide. I have a few questions though (sorry I didn't read pages 3-5 so if they answers are there, sorry )

1) why not adjust inline reg to 290 then adjust LPR and dwell?

2) when setting up LPR first, how do you know exactly what is the best point to stop turning the screw in? (or is it a personal preference thing?)

3) doesn't dropping your dwell, lower the time the solenoid is open, therefore use less air per shot, therefore be softer on paint? I keep reading that a lower dwell setting is causing better efficiency (less air with lower dwell setting), but a harder shot on each ball?
abenguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 AM #108
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
I believe that people who state that lower dwell makes for a harder shot are assuming that you are dropping the dwell low enough that you will have a drop in velocity and will have to compensate by increasing the HPR pressure.

Basically they aren't following the instructions in this thread, and don't realise that they are meant to set the HPR for velocity, and then leave it alone, and then see if they can reduce the dwell at all without the velocity changing.

As you said, less air released but at the exact same pressure, should not make for a harsher shot.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 AM #109
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziel Gal View Post
I believe that people who state that lower dwell makes for a harder shot are assuming that you are dropping the dwell low enough that you will have a drop in velocity and will have to compensate by increasing the HPR pressure.

Basically they aren't following the instructions in this thread, and don't realise that they are meant to set the HPR for velocity, and then leave it alone, and then see if they can reduce the dwell at all without the velocity changing.

As you said, less air released but at the exact same pressure, should not make for a harsher shot.
Makes sense. Can you answer my LPR setting question?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:10 AM #110
Uziel Gal

Both the LPR and the dwell can have an effect on velocity, so you would be playing a balancing act between dwell and the LPR to keep your velocity where you want it. If you set your LPR where you want it up front, you can then set the velocity accordingly, then ignore the LPR and get on with adjusting the dwell. Planet's approach to the LPR has always pretty much been to set it to where it works and then forget it, rather than to keep tinkering with it as part of the tuning process.

The LPR is more or less just for fine tuning anyway, and only has a relatively small effect on the cycling pressure - it's not intended for making large adjustments. Basically, you have a little scope for adjustment around the setting that Planet think is best, but the LPR is more or less designed to put out a specific pressure.

If you make the LPR a major part of the tuning process, people are more likely to start cranking in the pressure adjustment, looking for pressure changes that the LPR isn't designed to make, and could damage the LPR's reg seat seal in the process.

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 03-02-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 AM #111
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

pretty much put it where the gun shoots consistently and then leave it alone, got it haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziel Gal View Post
Both the LPR and the dwell can have an effect on velocity, so you would be playing a balancing act between dwell and the LPR to keep your velocity where you want it. If you set your LPR where you want it up front, you can then set the velocity accordingly, then ignore the LPR and get on with adjusting the dwell. Planet's approach to the LPR has always pretty much been to set it to where it works and then forget it, rather than to keep tinkering with it as part of the tuning process.

The LPR is more or less just for fine tuning anyway, and only has a relatively small effect on the cycling pressure - it's not intended for making large adjustments. Basically, you have a little scope for adjustment around the setting that Planet think is best, but the LPR is more or less designed to put out a specific pressure.

If you make the LPR a major part of the tuning process, people are more likelt to start cranking in the pressure adjustment, looking for pressure changes that the LPR isn't designed to make, and could damage the LPR's reg seat seal in the process.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:06 PM #112
dcspurlock

dcspurlock has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Maybe a dumb question but would this guide work for an 08 as well?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:27 PM #113
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcspurlock View Post
according to what everyone says, it should work for all egos really.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:08 AM #114
recite
Ballin for Christ

recite donated to help Peyton Trent
recite supports Team VICIOUS
recite supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcspurlock View Post
This will work for every electro marker out there that will allow you to adjust the dwell.

Preach the gospel at all times and, if necessary, use words.
recite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM #115
Uziel Gal

^^^

It may not be the preferred tuning method for a DM (for example) or whatever other marker you may care to name, but it is still applicable. There is certainly no reason why it wouldn't work.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 AM #116
engenhocas

i TUNE my ego 8

crono to 280 fps, and screw the lpr 1 and 1/2 in.

But i have to raise my dwell from 12.5 ms to 14.5 ms

is it normal, to raise the dwell, i think that i was get a dwell lower than 12.5 ms(stock dwell), but NO..... to keep the 280 FPS i have to put it in 14.5 ms.
engenhocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 AM #117
HYDE - Team Mayhem
We make paintball mayhem

try this:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post58407645
HYDE - #16
Captain, Team MayheM

Proudly Sponsored by:
Strategy Plus Paintball, East Hampton, CT
HYDE - Team Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM #118
Uziel Gal

It's not actually surprising that your velocity would drop after screwing in the LPR - you are reducing the speed with which the rammer hits the valve shaft, and consequently reducing the energy the rammer has when it hits. With less energy to open the valve, it doesn't open as far, and so air flow is restricted, and your velocity drops.

All perfectly normal.

Question is, did you adjust things in the order you stated? Chrono -> adjust LPR -> adjust dwell? If so, that is why your results are different to what you were expecting. You should set the LPR where you want it first, then chrono to velocity, and then adjust your dwell. That stops the LPR adjustment from changing your velocity, leaving dwell as the only variable to effect the velocity.

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 03-12-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:55 AM #119
engenhocas

yes a dit it like you said "Chrono -> adjust LPR -> adjust dwell?"

thats not ok?????

i will do like you said ....."You should set the LPR were you want it first, then chrono to velocity, and then adjust your dwell."
engenhocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 AM #120
venom357
Toasted.

venom357 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
venom357 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
venom357 is an NCPA player
venom357 is Boss
venom357 supports DLX Technology
IMO theres really not too much fine tuning thats required for the LPR. The reccomended setting of the screw being flush with the LPR body usually works out fine for 99% of the people i've known that have owned egos. I dont think you really need to ever mess with the LPR too much.
venom357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 PM #121
miami6_2000

miami6_2000 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky T View Post
Here is a quick reference guide to set up your Ego9's Dwell and LPR pressure to ensure that you get the best longevity and performance from your marker (along with a few other helpful hints to ensure that your marker stays in tip-top condition).

For best results we would advise you to set up the LPR first, Inline Regulator second and then dwell third.

- LPR setting. The output pressure of the LPR will directly affect the speed at which the rammer travels. If the output pressure of the LPR is set un-necessarily high then adjusting it lower would reduce wear and tear on the rammer bumper o-ring. Obviously taking it too low could result in other issues such as drop-off or inconsistent velocities so to ensure a sufficient margin for error do not turn the LPR screw in more than 2 ˝ turns.

- Inline Regulator (HPR) setting. With the LPR set to your preference (as described above) adjust your Inline Regulator pressure so that your marker chrono graphs at approximately 290 fps. This is so that you get realistic efficiency figures after setting your dwell.

- Dwell setting. The dwell setting on each Ego9 needs to be set up individually by sweet-spotting the dwell to the marker in question. It is not a case of a dwell setting of 8, 10 or 12ms will work perfectly on every marker as tolerances and performance of components within the marker are different. Sweet-spotting the dwell can be performed in a similar fashion to the “Efficiency for Dummies” thread on the Geo forum:
1. Chrono the marker as it is until you reach the desired velocity; let’s assume you want to shoot at approximately 290fps.
2. Remove the rubber grip screws on the right hand side of the Ego9 and push the set-up pushbutton on your circuit board to enter the set-up menu.
3. Scroll through the menu and "Unlock" the circuit board.
4. Close up the grips again so that you don't lose the three screws that you're about to drop!
5. As the marker is now unlocked go into the DWELL parameter and lower the dwell by 1.0ms from 10.5ms (the factory setting) to 9.5ms.
6. Chronograph the marker and check that the velocity has remained approximately the same.
7. Again go into the DWELL parameter and lower the dwell by 1.0ms.
8. Chronograph the marker again to check that the velocity has remained approximately the same.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until the velocity starts to drop.
10. When you reach this stage your DWELL is set too low to achieve the velocity you require. You must now raise your DWELL by 0.5ms from its current setting.
11. Chronograph the marker again to check that the velocity has returned to the desired value. If it has not then increase your DWELL again in 0.5ms increments until it does.
12. When you are content with the velocity readings, exit the DWELL parameter and "lock" the marker so that you are tournament legal.
13. You have now sweet-spotted your Ego9's DWELL to maximize its efficiency at that particular Inline Reg setting.

- Dry-firing. The primary cause of quicker than normal bumper deterioration is DRY FIRING! Players need to get educated that doing this will damage their marker.

If you guys have any questions about how to set up your Ego9 then please post below on this thread and Jack and I will reply directly here for you guys.

Nicky T
thanks for the tips will try them as soon a i finish the 15 case of paint

miami6_2000

miami fl
miami6_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:17 PM #122
nygiantsman

hey i have a few questios[list][*]if i screw the lpr inwards would it improve efficency[*]when messing with the lpr if i srewed it clockwise would i need to raise or lower te dwell to compinsate
  • whats best for efficency screwed in(clockwise) lpr high dwell screwed in(clockwis) low dwell screwed out(counter clockwise) lpr high dwell ect
btw if it matters i have an ego 10 since it says for ego 9
nygiantsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 PM #123
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiantsman View Post
hey i have a few questios[list][*]if i screw the lpr inwards would it improve efficency[*]when messing with the lpr if i srewed it clockwise would i need to raise or lower te dwell to compinsate
  • whats best for efficency screwed in(clockwise) lpr high dwell screwed in(clockwis) low dwell screwed out(counter clockwise) lpr high dwell ect
btw if it matters i have an ego 10 since it says for ego 9
screwing in the LPR lowers the pressure it operates it out. therefore you need a higher dwell to compensate so that your shots are consistent everytime the rammer hits the valve. typically using a higher dwell is less efficient. if you want more efficiency you need to lower the dwell as low as possible while still getting the consistency in shots you need.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 PM #124
nygiantsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenguyen View Post
screwing in the LPR lowers the pressure it operates it out. therefore you need a higher dwell to compensate so that your shots are consistent everytime the rammer hits the valve. typically using a higher dwell is less efficient. if you want more efficiency you need to lower the dwell as low as possible while still getting the consistency in shots you need.
thanks
nygiantsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 PM #125
DoctorYi
Ghostface Killah

DoctorYi owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
What do you guys think about this?

Put everything to stock settings. Put HPR to desired fps. Lower LPR until right before you start to lose to consistency. Raise dwell to gain back to starting fps (if necessary)

Killing For
GhosT TowN
DoctorYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 PM #126
HYDE - Team Mayhem
We make paintball mayhem

Try this

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post58407645
HYDE - #16
Captain, Team MayheM

Proudly Sponsored by: