Community Focus

Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM #1
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Suggestions for DC Challenge 2011?

Just figured I'd get it started.

I haven't heard much complaining about the reffing, but let's get that out of the way now. The reffing at any event could always use tweaking at very specific instances on the field. As is life. Get over it. The reffing was outstanding. Only go up from here please.

Grandstands. I'll gladly pay a few bucks extra for grandstand tickets if there was an awning over the stands. Or bring back the Skybox seats. How about a raffle with grandstand/skybox tickets to motivate people to buy them? The hill against the parking area is actually a really nice POV to watch the games from. The grandstand seats need to be made more appealing. The giveaways were nice, I'd say advertise it as a grandstand/skybox perk only though. Get those seats sold.

Vendor Village was small, but what do we expect? There weren't exactly 1000 spectators roaming the field. Seeing big names like Valken, Empire, CP, PE were nice. What other vendors would we like to see there as consumers? Paintball and non-paintball? I personally would've loved to see a Dye set up the size of Valken's. But being an NPPL event, I'm sure Dye won't do that any time soon.

Food at the event was decent. Chick-fil-a was nice when it wasn't reheated from the day before. How about Pev's hooking up with the local Chipotle or Pizza Hut for a catering tent in the Vendor's village to get more foot-traffic by the vendors?

Music was well handled. I would have to agree now having read a few comments in other threads that something change in either the volume of the music or something so when center court is empty (cue the music as per chuck), field 2 isn't blasted eliminating effective means of communication on the field. Play lists were 9/10 IMO. Keep up the good work!

A lot of people bring equipment to sell or trade at this event. Reference the walking billboard. The vendor's don't take trades, and I didn't see anyone buying used equipment. Something should be done to allow for a mass gathering of the spectators in like a flea market. Whether we be allowed to set something up in the parking area on friday or we have to rent vendor space. I don't think it would be hard for people with stuff to sell to put out $5 or $10 to rent a space in a larger tent to display their stuff. If we get everybody in one spot at one time, I think we'd all have a better chance at trading/selling gear at this event. Even if it's on Saturday after the last game is played. That even gives the players a chance to offload used stuff. Maybe advertising a flea market would increase foot-traffic in the vendor village the day of? If I'm the only one, oh well. I've said my peace on that.

The babes. I have to hand it to NPPL. They have hands down the hottest ladies working these events. The ultimate would be to persuade Keely Watson into making an NPPL appearance. Given her history with PSP, I doubt that will ever happen, but it would probably put the NPPL's hottie score over the top. So my suggestion on this matter is don't change a damn thing.

Last edited by stevebski : 08-10-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 AM #2
FireRunner
Flashover

Nice list. My two cents:

First, thumbs up to Pevs for a great event in the DC area. Always great to see paintball promoted in the spotlight. Overall the event was well run. But, possible improvements:

1. Add more cover and shade to Field 1. Majority of people watch those games but it had the least amount of shade. I know several people moved away from there due to the sun. Increase the shade by way of tents or even black mesh (breaks up the rays). It was very uncomfortable to watch the games in straight sunlight (especially for non-paintball players - pure spectators).

2. A flea market for trade/sell items would greatly increase traffic and better organize the event area overall. Every paintball message board is bombarded with trade/sell threads, it's a huge deal. The only downside is the vendors may not like this.

3. Place more seating around the fields and UP NEXT to the mesh. On Field 1 if you sat under the tent or in the bleachers you couldn't always see the game because people would stand next to the mesh and watch the game. Place the benches/seating area only a few feet away from the field so people don't have a stand to watch closer.

4. Adding more vendors would be awesome, Dye and NXe would have been huge hits. Anyway something could be worked out to get other vendors not associated with NPPL? Also, was a little disappointed in some vendors and their selection...a little scarce.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM #3
el diOs

stevebski - thats a great idea for the people selling used items. in turn that might even bring more spectators to the event. who come to check out the used items and then walk to all the vendors.

my suggetsions. that hill is a ***** to drag gear bags and coolers up and down. it would of been nice to park on the flat area between field 2 and the main road. not vip but parking for players.
how about porta-johns by field 2. it would have been one thing to have them right inbetween both fields. but when you have them on the far end of the main field. its not fun to have to run down to the other end cause you have either a back to back game or 1 game inbetween and nature calls.

EMPIRE|KEE|RPS|TOPGUNPAINTBALL.COM|BIGEVILONLINE.C OM|FLORRYPB
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM #4
Vicious49
Excelsior!

Annual Supporting Member
Vicious49 plays in the USPL
Vicious49 plays in the PSP
Vicious49 owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
Vicious49 supports Pev's Paintball
Vicious49 plays in the APPA D4 division
Vicious49 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by el diOs View Post
how about porta-johns by field 2. it would have been one thing to have them right inbetween both fields. but when you have them on the far end of the main field. its not fun to have to run down to the other end cause you have either a back to back game or 1 game inbetween and nature calls.
You can't hold it for 20 minutes? You have to go to the restroom in between back to back games? Really?

I'd rather have them at one end than have them in the middle and have to smell that crap all day.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 AM #5
el diOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
You can't hold it for 20 minutes? You have to go to the restroom in between back to back games? Really?

I'd rather have them at one end than have them in the middle and have to smell that crap all day.
since i parrty with 2 R's, sometimes i can't hold all the beer that i have been drinking the night before. and sometimes natures calls while i'm waiting on deck, then i have to go through the game.
so no, when i parrty with 2 R's i can't hold the bud, high life or steel reserve back for 20 minutes.
and if the wind decides to blow from the porta-potties to your direction, your going to smell it anyways. so whats you point?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 AM #6
seagreg1
I <3 Safety Meetings(>")>

seagreg1 plays in the USPL
seagreg1 plays in the PSP
seagreg1 supports Team VICIOUS
seagreg1 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
4. Adding more vendors would be awesome, Dye and NXe would have been huge hits.
Dye doesn't support the NPPL thats why their truck was there but not opened up- they parked it there after chicago and are driving it down to MAO as we speak now. The vendors that were there that were big name are going to be the only big name ones there (except maybe bob long) that support the NPPL. next year try and possibly get smaller vendors, just like they did with Understood, Pinokio, exc, to get more booths there. maybe size of major vendors would increase if smaller companies at events increased, bringing in more people to the trade shows.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 AM #7
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
There's not really much incentive from a vendor's standpoint. Most of the players at events like these already have sponsorships with their local field/store. Those sponsorships usually mean they can get things at the field/store's cost. That means the majority of the players at these events can get the items at home for a lower cost than they can at the events.

The manufacturer's aren't going to keep dragging their semi's around the country if they can't make enough off of sales at the event to cover their costs. I was fortunate enough to have PMI send out their Evil semi to a few of my events. My rep told me they had to do $15,000 in sales to cover the cost of attending an event. Times are tough and just being there as a sign of support isn't practical.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 AM #8
JESUS_V2
VCU

JESUS_V2 helped look for balloons
JESUS_V2 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JESUS_V2 supports Team VICIOUS
JESUS_V2 supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreg1

Dye doesn't support the NPPL thats why their truck was there but not opened up- they parked it there after chicago and are driving it down to MAO as we speak now. The vendors that were there that were big name are going to be the only big name ones there (except maybe bob long) that support the NPPL. next year try and possibly get smaller vendors, just like they did with Understood, Pinokio, exc, to get more booths there. maybe size of major vendors would increase if smaller companies at events increased, bringing in more people to the trade shows.
Idk how many times this has been said about the dye truck

Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM #9
FireRunner
Flashover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESUS_V2 View Post
Idk how many times this has been said about the dye truck
For those who aren't at Pevs regularly, they won't know that Dye truck has been there for...well a very - very - long time.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 PM #10
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
There's not really much incentive from a vendor's standpoint. Most of the players at events like these already have sponsorships with their local field/store. Those sponsorships usually mean they can get things at the field/store's cost. That means the majority of the players at these events can get the items at home for a lower cost than they can at the events.

The manufacturer's aren't going to keep dragging their semi's around the country if they can't make enough off of sales at the event to cover their costs. I was fortunate enough to have PMI send out their Evil semi to a few of my events. My rep told me they had to do $15,000 in sales to cover the cost of attending an event. Times are tough and just being there as a sign of support isn't practical.
I heard something along those lines. I'd like to find ways to increase the foot traffic at these events to better build the sales so more companies can attend. I kinda feel sorry for the CP guys. They were at ION this year with their semi, and they never had anyone walking around in their vendor area. I'd like to see this event blow up in the years to come. People in this area don't quite know how fortunate we are to have a national league pick DC for an event stop. HB has the beach and all of that traffic. What do we have? crappy drivers? That needs to change. I wonder how the NPPL would take it if we found a bunch of vendors who came to them to rent space? if anybody on here rented space, can you pm me with how much it cost you?

And about those portojohns, where they are is actually the better place for them in regards to being downwind and such. Maybe some portojohns on the player side of the field to make it better on the players? Like over on the grass field side. Until we increase the attendance of spectators, the location of the portojohns and number really are just right. You had enough where the one mandatory "blown up" portojohn gets destroyed and there were enough for everyone to avoid that one.

Last edited by stevebski : 08-10-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:01 AM #11
Vicious49
Excelsior!

Annual Supporting Member
Vicious49 plays in the USPL
Vicious49 plays in the PSP
Vicious49 owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
Vicious49 supports Pev's Paintball
Vicious49 plays in the APPA D4 division
Vicious49 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
since i parrty with 2 R's, sometimes i can't hold all the beer that i have been drinking the night before. and sometimes natures calls while i'm waiting on deck, then i have to go through the game.
so no, when i parrty with 2 R's i can't hold the bud, high life or steel reserve back for 20 minutes.
and if the wind decides to blow from the porta-potties to your direction, your going to smell it anyways. so whats you point?
Stop getting drunk during events. Especially if you have to play the next morning. Then you won't have to worry about the portapotty's being 5 feet from you.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 AM #12
el diOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
Stop getting drunk during events. Especially if you have to play the next morning. Then you won't have to worry about the portapotty's being 5 feet from you.
Thanks for looking over my shoulder Mommy!!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 AM #13
paintsoldier8
shut up and shoot people

Quote:
Thanks for looking over my shoulder Mommy!!
Then just don't complain about it? lawl

I think the biggest problem with non-player foot traffic is the location. I mean Aldie, Va isn't exactly a sprawling metropolis. Not only that but, if you were looking for the event it isn't hard to miss (the sign was tiny) and most people aren't going to spend all day looking for a paintball event if they don't play.

Now I'm not saying you should move the event but, maybe a bigger sign and more advertising in the local area?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM #14
num3n

Annual Supporting Member
num3n supports Sherwood Forest
num3n posts videos on PbNation
For the record none of the big vendors make money at these events. All they do is lose it. The reason they are there it's to keep thief brand name in your face. To some degree they are there showing off to each other.
The empire truck only had about 2500 in merchandise displayed and available for purchase (not including paint).
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM #15
Niskyhockey20

Niskyhockey20 is playing at Living Legends III
Niskyhockey20 supports Pev's Paintball
Dye was at nppl Chicago, I'm assuming they had the truck there just so they could head right down to MAO
BOLP
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 AM #16
gspn

gspn works for a Paintball manufacturer
Pev was a great host and kudos to his entire staff. They kept the trash picked up, were very helpful and friendly.

The food was excellent and moderately-priced. (mmmm, BBQ Brisket)

The vendor area was laid out as best as possible. It would have been great to see some shade on the hill for spectators viewing the pro fields...

Porta-johns on both ends of the property would have been nice to have but I guess it was easier for the company to clean and restock them from 1 area.

Having more teams would be good, too. NPPL staff was awesome and thanks to Chuck and crew for their help. (not MB..

ps, the Dye trailer was there from ION, waiting to go to MAO.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM #17
JESUS_V2
VCU

JESUS_V2 helped look for balloons
JESUS_V2 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JESUS_V2 supports Team VICIOUS
JESUS_V2 supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspn
Pev was a great host and kudos to his entire staff. They kept the trash picked up, were very helpful and friendly.

The food was excellent and moderately-priced. (mmmm, BBQ Brisket)

The vendor area was laid out as best as possible. It would have been great to see some shade on the hill for spectators viewing the pro fields...

Porta-johns on both ends of the property would have been nice to have but I guess it was easier for the company to clean and restock them from 1 area.

Having more teams would be good, too. NPPL staff was awesome and thanks to Chuck and crew for their help. (not MB..

ps, the Dye trailer was there from ION, waiting to go to MAO.
Pretty sure it was from chigago

Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM #18
I'm RickJames
DJ/MC for the NPPL

I'm RickJames supports Pev's Paintball
I'm RickJames plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESUS_V2 View Post
Pretty sure it was from chigago
Yup... thats what MB said.

Follow me on Twitter- NPPLDJ

Proudly representing... PEV'S PAINTBALL, EMPIRE PAINTBALL, KEE ACTION SPORTS and BOB LONG