Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 AM #1
DasWolfenstein

A question or 2

Okay so I'm looking at enlisting as a combat engineer in the marines. Google and wiki say the same thing but I would like to hear it from the combat engineers themselves as to what they do. What does the combat engineer do, whats training like, etc.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM #2
billy1234
pew pew

im at combat engineer school right now. got a week left, subjects weve learned are tools and tool kits, wood framing, fell standing timber, concrete, concrete block, survivability positions, constructed obstacles, tactical bridging, engineer reconnaissance, military explosives, mine warfare, mine detectors, route clearance, and obstacle breaching. there are 3 types of combat engineer units you can go to, division, wing, and group. divison does the sexy **** like demolition and is with the grunts for the most part, wing fixes air strips n **** of pot holes, builds pull up bars and picnic tables, more construction, i think group is a little of both, everyone says you want to go divison. training so far is basically swinging hammers and running chainsaws n filling sand bags. a half retarded monkey could pass the tests at this school. yet people still fail them. they teach you the very basics here because all were going to be doing is cleaning and picking up **** for atleast 2 years in the fleet. maybe grabbing tools. idk. lol. if you like to blow up **** up and build **** id suggest it. this was originally the MOS i wanted, only way i could get it as active duty was to sign a "ground option" contract which is a contract with a **** load of jobs on it including combat engineer. luckily i got it. lemme know if you have any more questions about school or basic ****, like i said, im at school, i dont know **** about what actually goes on in the fleet or what im going to do, im going to a division unit in 29 palms at the end of the month.
you will NEVER be forgotten
billy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 AM #3
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1234 View Post
im at combat engineer school right now. got a week left, subjects weve learned are tools and tool kits, wood framing, fell standing timber, concrete, concrete block, survivability positions, constructed obstacles, tactical bridging, engineer reconnaissance, military explosives, mine warfare, mine detectors, route clearance, and obstacle breaching. there are 3 types of combat engineer units you can go to, division, wing, and group. divison does the sexy **** like demolition and is with the grunts for the most part, wing fixes air strips n **** of pot holes, builds pull up bars and picnic tables, more construction, i think group is a little of both, everyone says you want to go divison. training so far is basically swinging hammers and running chainsaws n filling sand bags. a half retarded monkey could pass the tests at this school. yet people still fail them. they teach you the very basics here because all were going to be doing is cleaning and picking up **** for atleast 2 years in the fleet. maybe grabbing tools. idk. lol. if you like to blow up **** up and build **** id suggest it. this was originally the MOS i wanted, only way i could get it as active duty was to sign a "ground option" contract which is a contract with a **** load of jobs on it including combat engineer. luckily i got it. lemme know if you have any more questions about school or basic ****, like i said, im at school, i dont know **** about what actually goes on in the fleet or what im going to do, im going to a division unit in 29 palms at the end of the month.
Thanks man you answer like every question I had I'm going for division and I can deal with the 2 years in fleet (also what is fleet? lol) thanks for all the nice info I'll have more questions later.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 AM #4
billy1234
pew pew

the fleet is being at a duty station IE. not at school. actually doing your day to day job ****. i say the first 2 years atleast because you will probably be a pvt-lance doing all the bull ****
Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 AM #5
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
the fleet is being at a duty station IE. not at school. actually doing your day to day job ****. i say the first 2 years atleast because you will probably be a pvt-lance doing all the bull ****
The day to day job is pretty much what now? Like a regular nonmilitary job or what?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 AM #6
billy1234
pew pew

i dont know how to explain it any clearer. im too hungover, talk to a recruiter
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 AM #7
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
i dont know how to explain it any clearer. im too hungover, talk to a recruiter
Lol okay.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:23 PM #8
Nalayah

I'm in a Combat Engineer company. Guy sitting across from me says "It's mostly infantry with explosives. But really it's just a whole lot of route clearance."

Go drive a heavily armored vehicle for eight hours down a road looking for IEDs at 10 MPH, stopping for every little thing, and that's route clearance.

Then again, I'm a soldier. I'm not sure how much different the Marine Corps would be in reality.

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Nalayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:21 PM #9
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalayah View Post
I'm in a Combat Engineer company. Guy sitting across from me says "It's mostly infantry with explosives. But really it's just a whole lot of route clearance."

Go drive a heavily armored vehicle for eight hours down a road looking for IEDs at 10 MPH, stopping for every little thing, and that's route clearance.

Then again, I'm a soldier. I'm not sure how much different the Marine Corps would be in reality.
Could you ask him what was training like? I know you have to have demo training, rifle training, physical training stuff like that anything out of the ordinary compared to regular rifleman training?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 PM #10
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasWolfenstein View Post
Could you ask him what was training like? I know you have to have demo training, rifle training, physical training stuff like that anything out of the ordinary compared to regular rifleman training?
He's a medic in an engineer company, in the Army. He can't answer your question.

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/67819558

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 PM #11
GreasyPigeon
I hate p8ntgurl

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
GreasyPigeon is reppin' sidebar 4 life
If you enlist in the Army you can go sapper.. do it

Team Pizza Time

The sniper of ST
GreasyPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:39 PM #12
billy1234
pew pew

you can be a sapper in the mc too. its only like a 2 week course but i hear its ****ty
Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 PM #13
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyPigeon View Post
If you enlist in the Army you can go sapper.. do it
Nevermind I looked it up and for the army? No the marines? Yes.

Last edited by DasWolfenstein : 07-18-2010 at 11:14 PM.