Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Exactly, so at the end of the day there may be someone getting a raw deal, as there always is in life, but on the other hand theres probably more then a few shiny cars bought on 16th birthdays or college tuitions paid for before these kids are even born. These are the parts of the game we dont see, all we see is the horrors the game can and has caused to a few guys. I'm sure there are more then what we see all ****ed up, but lets be honest, theres a **** load more that we dont see that are perfectly fine as of right now too. I mean, Deacon Jones is old as **** and that dude played ridiculously tough.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2010, 01:31 PM #23
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Yeah, but with the life expectancy of former players is 53-59 ... there's a problem. No one is saying change the fundamental aspects of the game, but there needs to be additional safety measures installed in order to better protect the players.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM #24
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post
That too...although in the grand scheme of pro sports they are grotesquely under paid. Sorry, but no grass fairy, ice fairy, basketball, or baseball player puts their body on the line 60+ times a game like football players do.
ice fairy? Really? Its the only major sport with similar physicality to football.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:39 PM #25
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
i had played frootball from the age of 9 until i was 30, 20 of those years playing running back. i am 32 now, my knees are bad and my shoulders are on their way out. i played DII college football on scholarship...and graduated. if i knew then what i know now...i would do it all over in a heartbeat! granted i never played in the league...wasn't in the cards for me, but i can say throughout college and semi-pro...the equipment changed. i look at my helmet from highschool and compare it to my college and semi-pro helmets and there is considerably more padding/air systems. that goes for the shoulderpads as well. light years beyond what i started with. i agree with technology trying to protect the players better. but honestly, the players are getting bigger, faster, stronger and the game is moving faster...and the hits are more violent. there is risk playing football, there is risk playing soccer, hell, there is even risk playing baseball. injuries happen all the time. the second a player goes out there to try not to get hurt...is when they do. football is a game of controlled chaos, a lot like a car accident every 40 seconds...and i love that game. i agree cutting off two pre-season games and making an 18 game schedule will do nothing for the athletes...or the coaches who use those games for player evaluation on who is going to make the team or not. that is the nfl wanting more revenue. i feel more should be done for the nfl alumni...but then again they played when the salaries were not what they are now. there was really no guarantee for them after football was over. some just pissed the money away...some still do. just my .02

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM #26
backplayer999
I lioke tortles

has been a member for 10 years
I think one of the major implications this has is on the people who don't play every Sunday. Millions of people play football throughout there lives and throughout college, in semi-pros and on practice squads and may be effected negatively.

More research needs to be done in order to change the game at all, but it is an interesting and alarming finding.

You'd rather cry
I'd rather fly
backplayer999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:03 PM #27
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycon View Post
i had played frootball from the age of 9 until i was 30, 20 of those years playing running back. i am 32 now, my knees are bad and my shoulders are on their way out. i played DII college football on scholarship...and graduated. if i knew then what i know now...i would do it all over in a heartbeat! granted i never played in the league...wasn't in the cards for me, but i can say throughout college and semi-pro...the equipment changed. i look at my helmet from highschool and compare it to my college and semi-pro helmets and there is considerably more padding/air systems. that goes for the shoulderpads as well. light years beyond what i started with. i agree with technology trying to protect the players better. but honestly, the players are getting bigger, faster, stronger and the game is moving faster...and the hits are more violent. there is risk playing football, there is risk playing soccer, hell, there is even risk playing baseball. injuries happen all the time. the second a player goes out there to try not to get hurt...is when they do. football is a game of controlled chaos, a lot like a car accident every 40 seconds...and i love that game. i agree cutting off two pre-season games and making an 18 game schedule will do nothing for the athletes...or the coaches who use those games for player evaluation on who is going to make the team or not. that is the nfl wanting more revenue. i feel more should be done for the nfl alumni...but then again they played when the salaries were not what they are now. there was really no guarantee for them after football was over. some just pissed the money away...some still do. just my .02

Good post. Even when I played D3 ball there was still disparity in the quality of the pads and helmets. All the helmets were fine, obviously, but some of the pads were old, shotty, didnt always fit right, etc. The seniors had first choice, and they all got the cool ****. Being a transfer/walk-on who'd never played a down in his life, I got bottom of the barrel when it came to everything, haha. But yea, I remember when my younger brother played pop warner in the mid 90's and I look at the equipment then vs. now and its insane how far its come in a relatively short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplayer999 View Post
I think one of the major implications this has is on the people who don't play every Sunday. Millions of people play football throughout there lives and throughout college, in semi-pros and on practice squads and may be effected negatively.

More research needs to be done in order to change the game at all, but it is an interesting and alarming finding.

Another great point. Obviously the focus is going to be on the pro's but there are literally thousands upon thousands of college players and even hundreds of thousands more at other levels that are dealing with the same issues. Lets face it, there are Ray Lewis' out there who can straight destroy kids on HS fields right now, there is always the next big player somewhere out there, and somewhere out there that guy is having his bell rung just the same or having his career ended prematurely.

Its a risk we are all aware of when we step on the field, and it will never change as long as the game is played this way. Violence is an understatement when it comes to the game of football.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote