PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 PM #1
renrag75

renrag75 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
renrag75 is for the Gunfight
Creed Board

I was doing some searching and I noticed that the OLED board prompts on Angel's new AR:K looks identical to the Vanguard Creed's. Are they using the same programming?

Watch the vid and judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouO5AZX0wpM

DM12 Black & Tan
renrag75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:21 AM #2
SHOOTNPOO
MACDEV MASTER US TECH

SHOOTNPOO works for a Paintball manufacturer
SHOOTNPOO plays in the USPL
SHOOTNPOO posts videos on PbNation
Our board manufacture sold Angel the same board with different firm wear.
SHOOTNPOO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 AM #3
paul_gun
Designer For Hire

Annual Supporting Member
paul_gun works for a Paintball manufacturer
The Angel board is New hardware and software the UI just looks the same at the moment
Old 06-25-2010, 07:07 AM #4
Rabies

has been a member for 10 years
Rabies plays in the PSP
Rabies owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Rabies is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTNPOO View Post
Our board manufacture sold Angel the same board with different firm wear.
Close. The Angel board is totally different hardware (designed by a third party, as it happens) but the software is from the same stable, although it's needed large changes to support the changed hardware and to integrate the features that the Angel guys wanted.
Rabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 PM #5
DemoBaker

DemoBaker owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DemoBaker is for the Gunfight
well when i looked at the proto type it was the creed board down to a "T" even the hold up for eyes on/off was the same
DemoBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 PM #6
Rabies

has been a member for 10 years
Rabies plays in the PSP
Rabies owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Rabies is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoBaker View Post
well when i looked at the proto type it was the creed board down to a "T" even the hold up for eyes on/off was the same
Except for using a different processor, at a different clock speed, running off 9v instead of LiPoly, with a different solenoid driver circuit, no flash memory chip, USB integrated into the processor instead of on a separate chip, scroll wheel instead of buttons, built-in buzzer, no expansion port, different sockets for eyes, oh and being a different shape to fit the frame... other than that, yes, it's exactly the same . Add to that extensive changes to the software, including different fire modes, ROF counter, game timer, multiple languages, animated startup screen, and then add the development work just to port the software to the new processor, control the new solenoid driver, handle USB etc.

You may as well say that the Creed is the same as every paintball gun that's come before it because they all shoot a .68 calibre paintball out of the barrel at 300fps when you pull the trigger, regardless of what is going on inside to make that happen. Back in the real world, several man-years of development have gone into the Creed, and just because it looks a bit like an Ego if you squint your eyes and ignore the milling, that doesn't make it the same as an Ego.

The board in the Creed is a Rabid board. It was designed and developed by Rabid Paintball, in response to Vanguard's technical requirements, and remains the property of Rabid Paintball. The AR:K will use the same Rabid technology under license. One of the key features of Rabid products is the efficient and user-friendly interface. Why would we change that winning interface for a new product, just to be different? While more has been going on behind the scenes than you can imagine, the software looks basically the same on the surface because it works very well, and if it works then why change it?

I think you have the impression that Vanguard ought to have some exclusive claim to use our technology, whereas I can assure you this is not the case. If that's unclear in any way, I suggest you address your questions to Jason.
Rabies is offline   Reply With Quote