Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM #1
keeperdude
Ramblin' Wreck

keeperdude is an NCPA player
keeperdude plays in the APPA D4 division
Helmet Cam

Does/has anybody used a helmet cam? If so what are some suggestions that you would make not only as to which one to get, but where to mount it, how to make it last all 10 hours of a big scenario game, what not to do etc.

thanks.

BIG thanks to:
Nitro Paintball
keeperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 AM #2
indy007
ND Toy Company

www.rap4.com
Old 06-24-2010, 04:51 PM #3
cjgomez30

This is the first year that I have been running with a helmet cam. Here are a few things that I have found out.
1. Make sure you mount it on the right side. I played 8 hours, only to find out that half of my footage was of me behind a tree. I tend to shoot on my right side and I had my camera mounted on the left.
2. Make sure you know how to use it. My first time that I took it out; I didn’t get half of the day recorded. Some how I set it to shut off ever 15 min.
3. Comfort, Comfort, Comfort. During my first long scenario game with it on, I had to take it off after 2 hours. The strap that came with the camera to hold it in place was giving me a headache. If I loosened it up, then the camera would be pointing to low. So what I did was mount it into the mask with a few bolts. On the inside, I place soft leather so it wouldn’t rub against my head.

After all of my trials and errors, I have been very happy with the helmet cam. There are so many different moments that happen during a game that you just can’t explain with words. Now, I just show people.
cjgomez30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 PM #4
splntercell
TopGun Knight

I mount mine on the left side of my mask. I have events so i glued the rail mount for mine right on the button used to remove the lens, and picked up a second button for when i dont want to use my helmet cam. If you shoot right handed the best place on the mask would be on the right side. Mounting it on your marker would be another option but if you want to capture footage and not the ground you have to make sure you always aim your marker forward. As for the cam it depends on what quality you want and how much you want to spend. you can buy inexpensive ones that record at lower resolutions for a little over $100. I use the Vhold Hd 1080p cam its the most durable one i have seen the body is one piece of milled aluminum and has a replaceable lens protector. I picked it up for $325 if you want to see the quality you can goto my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TopgunKnights some of the vids where uploaded at a lower resolution but most are uploaded in 1080p.
splntercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 AM #5
bebopblues2071

I haven't used my P.O.V. Cams for paintball yet, but for all the first person footage I shoot that has to be head mounted i use the Go Pro HD. Price point is great, shoots in variable frame rates, and is super durable & waterproof. + they sell helmet mounts and strap mounts for it.