PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 PM #106
TheColiseum71

TheColiseum71 donated to help Peyton Trent
TheColiseum71 is an NCPA player
TheColiseum71 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a twelve inch stiffi that I traded for on my Etek and I love it. I have been looking and looking for a .691 Rage Stik so I can put the twelve inch on my autococker. All I can find in stock is the 16 inch. I am going to feel just completely ungainly going from a 12 to 16?
TheColiseum71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 PM #107
brporterjr
Proud ][invert MiNi owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddogg View Post
Nice information guys!

But the next person that says the barrel effects distance gets slapped (with the exception of backspin barrels).

That is NOT true if you have a barrel over bored more air is going around it so it only goes X amount of feet. If you have a smaller MATCHED bore size more air is pushing the ball which equals more feet
brporterjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 PM #108
Cocowheats
That's SO Metal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1995 View Post
not arguing but I am trying to learn...... if rifling or spiral porting will only spin the shell and not help the paint fly mre accuratley then how do back spin barrells work..... would that design simply spin a back spin on the shell and not the mass? But I have seen a backspin barrel chunk out some balls a loooong ways.
and when they reach that "further" distance, they bounce right off anything and everything...yes it went 20+ ft further but also lost alot of fps....the further a paintball flies=more drop in fps which=less odds of the ball actually breaking on the target....so backspinning a ball is a bad idea in general....just a gimmick to get ppl to drop $$$ because yes it CAN work...but it won't be effectice in eliminating ppl which why we play paintball, right? (that's to win i mean)

Thanks: TCP, KEE, DYE, NXE, VFORCE, & MASKWRAPS.COM FOR SUPPORTING US IN 2011
Cocowheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:50 AM #109
HungLo
Dank Chron

The reason for porting to start at around 8 inches is because of a vacuum effect, the air pressure behind the blast is sucked outwards towards the front of the barrel, this porting allows that back pressure to be relived evenly. When choosing between bores for the blow test, its been my experience to go with the smaller bore. You still want to get the barrel with the lowest amounts of difference in microns for the most accurate shots. IE a barrel with a micron finish of 3 would shoot better with a crappy PTBM than a barrel of 12 microns and a perfect PTBM match.
HungLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:41 AM #110
HungLo
Dank Chron

doubble post. edit
HungLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 PM #111
Ri0T
Mad Scientist At Work...

Ri0T is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brporterjr View Post
That is NOT true if you have a barrel over bored more air is going around it so it only goes X amount of feet. If you have a smaller MATCHED bore size more air is pushing the ball which equals more feet
No, this DOES NOT change the distance at an equal velocity. This changes the velocity of the ball, which will effect distance. Then, you will need to reduce velocity to the same speed, which will give the same distance.

However, since you are now using less air pressure to achieve the same velocity, you WILL get better efficiency from it.

Please don't argue until you've gotten an education.
Ri0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 PM #112
Zunester23

Thanks for the heads up guys...
Zunester23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 PM #113
ruizjo21

wow, so much information!!!

GearBag Sale
ruizjo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:34 PM #114
psycho91
I has a fuzzy hat

ok i know all stuff about friction, accuracy, quietness, ect. ect. but i was wondering if using a 16'' would matter, and i just play i dont worry about paint to barrel match or length, but i do worry about smoothness and quietness, is this bad or just personal preference
psycho91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 PM #115
Mephysteaux
Pronounced Meh-Fist-Oh

Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
So, I've got a question. Since I started looking into barrels, one thing I've heard is that at the heart of accuracy is a good paint-bore match. So, I decided to get a multi-bored barrel for my next marker.

I mentioned this on another section, and someone replied that having a good paint-bore match is irrelevant with electro markers, as if you're shooting over 10 BPS balls don't have enough time to sit in the chamber, he recommended just getting a .693. From a physics standpoint, I can't think of any reason why that would be true, I was under the impression the purpose of paint-bore matching was to ensure the ball took the same path, regardless of where it started out. So, basically, I'm inclined not to believe him, but I wanted to see what the experts say.

Hellkatz present: Blues Brothers - May 11, 2013 - LVP South, Hatfield PA

Join Fitocracy, the free online social fitness game.
Mephysteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:11 PM #116
Truetilldeath683
Eatin Dye, ****tin Timmys

Annual Supporting Member
Truetilldeath683 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Truetilldeath683 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Truetilldeath683 supports Pev's Paintball
Truetilldeath683 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Truetilldeath683 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Truetilldeath683 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
the blow test actually does work, but however in my eyes thermal expansion has an affect. when u blow into the barrel, the heat actually causes the ball to expand the tinyest bit. but that is correct, if the ball comes out with some force then its probably the closest match for your barrel and paint. good information on the test tho
Truetilldeath683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:13 PM #117
BMWTech2008

BMWTech2008 is playing at Living Legends III
Paintball marker barrels are a tube with holes in it. That's all they are. You are shooting an imperfect ball, through an inconsistent system. The biggest deciding factor in accuracy is paint then the player. Then you can go into consistency and reliability. Where are you at in Texas? I'm in Fort Worth, I can prove this too you in person.

A vibe, cocker, automag, ego, angel, luxe, whatever will shoot the same accuracy.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
Accuracy comes from four key things.
-The Player. This is the most effective thing when determining accuracy.
-The Paint. Crappy paint with dimples will not fly straight, use better paint.
-Consistency. Without this, your marker will be shooting at different speeds, thus making its interaction with the environment different.
-Reliability. As long as all the parts in the marker are working correctly, difference in accuracy will be unnoticeable.
(I'm including cleanliness into reliability, obviously if you have water/paint/dirt all over the place stuff is not going to work properly.)

Take a tube(say for example .682 or .691 bore). Take a perfectly round paintball, with the same fill, same weight(say of example .685bore). Clamp that barrel down, laser straight. Put the test indoors. Put a valve/bolt system on it that produces a pressure (between 100-200psi) that produces a velocity at 300fps on the dot, every single time and fire twenty shots. You could retest this test with a reasonable size bored paintball and reasonable size bore you would just have to adjust the air pressure to get the correct velocity.

Now explain to me why one bolt system, or one valve system would be more accurate than another?

You are firing a ball, consistently through a tube that is working properly and the vice would act as the accurate player putting the shot in the same exact place every time.

Consistency and reliability are the key reasons to why people have high end markers (or better markers than low end markers).

The ONLY reason why no marker gets "ball on ball" accuracy every time is because paintballs have different fills, paintballs aren't perfectly round, paintball markers aren't consistent(usually more than +/- 7), and paintball markers aren't 100% reliable.

And paintballers themselves aren't steady enough to keep it in the same place.

I mean I ref every single weekend (unless I take off to play, or I fly out for something) and out of 100% honesty, I can't say any gun is more accurate than another unless its just a very piss poor design which goes against my 4 key things to be accurate.

I test shoot guns of interest that players may have at times just so I can get a feel or preference for it when I see a question pop up on the forums. I watch and chrono guns on a regular basis. I think I have just a tiny bit more experience handling many different markers. A5, prolite, vibe, a1 fly, vice, luxe, ego, whatever you want, same exact paint and equal bore size(because that would effect consistency) with a reasonable length of barrel (like a one inch barrel) will be equally accurate as long as the markers are working properly.

Sure there might be that one odd ball but as a general pattern, it will be identical. Obviously the outside environment will effect this, such as wind, rain, etc.

TL;DR Buy better paint and practice.

Paint to bore match gives you the worst consistency.

There is no such thing as really "paint-to-bore" matching. Paintballs aren't perfectly made. Every case will very well over .005 from smallest to largest bore within the case. People do a "blow" test to find the AVERAGE bore size of the case when realistically you are just underboring and overboring pretty much every ball.

Underboring creates a seal thus giving you a higher FPS. Overboring doesn't therefore creating a lower FPS thus giving you a horrible consistency read.

Paint to bore match, underboring, and overboring do not effect accuracy, range, or breaks.

Last edited by BMWTech2008 : 12-25-2009 at 07:49 PM.
BMWTech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 PM #118
jtusapbfan

ok agree with some and disagree with some// i prolly wont come back to read any replies but all im gonna say is if the length of the barrel has no affect on anything as u said a 1 in barrel should shoot the same as any other then why is a rifle so much more accurate than a pistol? yea the bullets are more consistent in size and shape but by your theory that shouldnt matter as king as its in good working order and fired at exactly the same place over and over... and im sorry that apparently you hate going to the field and having to be a ref cause your so much better than that.. just an observation that you seem to hate that
jtusapbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM #119
BMWTech2008

BMWTech2008 is playing at Living Legends III
Paintballs are more similar to water ballons... Not bullets.
BMWTech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:35 PM #120
wowzerz
Pump Karni King

wowzerz is attending Decay of Nations VI
DAMN! Original post is from 2002!!
wowzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 AM #121
wreckless_pb

no way...what about your air spiking and the balls would have to be the exact same in concentricity and weight...nothing is ever the same so there is no way to get a good reading
wreckless_pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM #122
ZeroSix
Major League Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtusapbfan View Post
ok agree with some and disagree with some// i prolly wont come back to read any replies but all im gonna say is if the length of the barrel has no affect on anything as u said a 1 in barrel should shoot the same as any other then why is a rifle so much more accurate than a pistol? yea the bullets are more consistent in size and shape but by your theory that shouldnt matter as king as its in good working order and fired at exactly the same place over and over... and im sorry that apparently you hate going to the field and having to be a ref cause your so much better than that.. just an observation that you seem to hate that
It is ignorant to compare paintball barrels to a rifle and pistol. A rifle shoots further and more accurate because it fires at a higher velocity than a pistol. This is due to several factors
1) rifle rounds are larger - they have more powder and thus more power
2) A rifles have a longer barrel which adds to internal barrel pressure- this forces the round out at a higher velocity. which is why a .22 LR round, which is fired from either a rifle or pistol, will exit a rifle at a higher velocity than a pistol.
Also accuracy is affected by shooting position in which a rifle is heavier, which controls recoil, and allows for better recoil management with the buttstock.

Paintballs are affected by different forces, the barrel adds to consistency over anything else. A 1" barrel will have less affect on a paintballs consistency during flight compared to a 12" barrel.
The theory then of having a longer barrel being better, why not go to 21", is downplayed in paintball because the longer the barrel the less air efficient it becomes. It requires more air to push the ball down the barrel. And because the barrel isnt touching the ball in a consistant manner (paintballs appear round, but will never have a complete seal on a barrel unless you are underboring the barrel-to-paint match) the barrel wont have as positive an influence on the ball like a real firearm would.
ZeroSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:25 PM #123
ZeroSix
Major League Infidel

As a matter of fact, here is one of the best responses to this question i have found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=197yZ859h74

Someone who has done the testing and collected the data.
ZeroSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 PM #124
jake1294

thanks
jake1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM #125
ahector

thank you SO much, i thought it was the smallest bore size that it rolls out
ahector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM #126
nikwheatley

nikwheatley owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
nikwheatley has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
nikwheatley has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
nikwheatley is attending Decay of Nations VI
This was super informative. I didn't realize that there was that much involved with the barrel. Thanks
nikwheatley is offline   Reply With Quote