PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-29-2010, 02:18 AM #1
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Odd problem, cannot open web pages.

so i am having some problems with my laptop. for some reason i cannot open any webpages, download any updates, etc. but i can however, sign in to msn messenger and play eve.

yesterday i had some spyware fraud thing that i used spybot to remove, now this happens.

spybot detects nothing, windows defender detects nothing.

when i try to open a web page the error message details read "the remote device or resource will not accept the connection. the resource google.com (for example) is not set up to accept connections on port "the world wide web service (HTTP)"

can someone tell me what is wrong and how to fix it? i am currently posting from the old desktop.
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2010, 02:26 AM #2
Laius
OBEY THE MAY

You're probably still infected, first of all.

Change your DNS server to 4.2.2.1 and try again. Download firefox on the other machine and install it on the malfunctioning one. See if you can access the web.
Laius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:39 AM #3
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

ok, now it works. i was searching for the option to change dns settings, (which i couldnt find lol). but i reset all the internet settings and now it seems to work fine.

maybe when i removed the spyware the other day it just messed up my settings?
Old 05-29-2010, 02:41 AM #4
Laius
OBEY THE MAY

Some malware does stuff like that to protect themselves and/or redirect traffic to illegitimate sites.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:41 AM #5
paintballbum
.ılıl.

paintballbum is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
yup they do that
paintballbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:50 AM #6
Laius
OBEY THE MAY

One of my more recent malware cleanups involved a user who had a roaming profile configured on their server. Every time he/I would log in to the domain, it would say "server roaming profile could not be found, loading public profile" or something like that. When in Windows, it would not pull an IP down from the DHCP server. It would say "Acquiring IP" endlessly. If I put a static in, I could browse fine (but it would redirect), but I still could not locate the roaming profile on the server.

At some point I did some sort of networking command (net view or net use or something) and it came back and said "service is not running." At that point I fired up combofix and it found a bunch of ****. Upon reboot, it worked properly again.

Normally, malware will just do something with the DNS servers (alureon is particularly nasty in this regard) to facilitate browser redirects. Even more common is the checking of the "use proxy server for your lan" box in IE.