Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 PM #1
cairnst590

hard drive woes

So I'm kind of a noob when it comes to computers, and I have this problem that I cannot figure out.

I have a hard drive that had windows 7 on it, and wanted to dual boot with windows xp for a couple older programs I use frequently. The hard drive is 80gb's and I had 25gb's free, so I used windows7 disk manager to shrink my main partition by 15gb's and then took that partition and formatted it to E. I then installed windows xp on the E partition, but I guess something happened during installation(I went outside for a smoke while XP did its thing... since it usually takes a while) and when I came back my computer had restarted itself and was stuck at post.

So I took the XP disk out and restarted my computer but it got stuck on post again, and I can't even enter setup, it does this every time I restart, just sits on the post screen and can't enter setup. So I got a new hard drive, installed windows XP on it, but now I would like to fix my old hard drive to keep as a spare, and also to recover all of my pictures and music off it. So I did some google research, and saw that I could make an ubuntu live CD and boot from the disk, and recover my data that way, so I took out my new hard drive and installed the old hard drive, then tried to boot from the ubuntu disk, but it still hangs at post. I tried taking out the broken hard drive and putting the new hard drive in, then booting from the disk and it works so I know I made the disk correctly.

I then took out my new hard drive and re-installed the old hard drive and tried booting from the ubuntu disk yet again, but it still hangs on post and won't boot the CD. I did some more googl'ing to see what the deal was with that, but I couldn't find any relevant information regarding that, so I come to you guys with my issue, does anybody have any idea whats up with this hard drive?

PS, sorry if none of this makes sense, I have no clue what the hell I'm talking about.
cairnst590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM #2
Laius
OBEY THE MAY

What is on the screen when it hangs?
Laius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:23 PM #3
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
it an easy fix and a know issue. every version of windows has it own small boot manager that it places in the master boot record the same for most os. when you installed xp it over wrote your drives master boot record. this is causing the no post and hang. all you need to do it boot of your windows install cd and go into the repair console and run the fixmbr. the second would be the drive controler or drive had a head crash if it not a bad crash most time using a usb cable or ext box you can boot from the new drive and recover or copy your old data using some disk tools.if it the controler you can try finding the same drive on ebay that being sold for parts and swapping out the control board.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM #4
cairnst590

Quote:
Originally Posted by plushdragon View Post
it an easy fix and a know issue. every version of windows has it own small boot manager that it places in the master boot record the same for most os. when you installed xp it over wrote your drives master boot record. this is causing the no post and hang. all you need to do it boot of your windows install cd and go into the repair console and run the fixmbr. the second would be the drive controler or drive had a head crash if it not a bad crash most time using a usb cable or ext box you can boot from the new drive and recover or copy your old data using some disk tools.if it the controler you can try finding the same drive on ebay that being sold for parts and swapping out the control board.
Ah thanks, I guess I'll need to buy an external hdd dock then?
cairnst590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:37 AM #5
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
or plug it in on another ide channel or sata port on a mb.