PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 AM #1
Darth Balls
Dark Lord of the Bong

DPI and Sensitivity

I just bought a Razer Mamba and I'm trying to get to get it tuned in to where I like it, but I'm confused on the difference between DPI and Sensitivity.

A friend told me to set DPI all the way up to 5600 and turn in-game sensitivity down, but when I do that, whenever I'm on my desktop the mouse sensitivity goes WAAY up.

and then there's also something about mouse acceleration, idk what that is...

basically I want something responsive and fast without being like overly sensitive. I always thought DPI was like the "quality" or w/e so idk im confused
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 AM #2
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
I had a Razer Lachesis for three days. All I know is at 4000 dpi I couldn't control it anymore. Actually, anything over 1000 for me was way too much.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 AM #3
darx
:tup:

I am no expert but here is my guess.

DPI is dots per inch, it would be better to run at a higher DPI to make your mouse more accurate. Lowering the sensitivity in-game and on your desktop would help. I always run my mx518 on low DPI, 300 or something I believe, but I'm guessing the more DPI the better.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 AM #4
darkpyro525
LOLWUT

Turn mouse acceleration off. Its junk

"Originally posted by Jocasta: Poor clay can't catch a break No coochie, no nonfat, no likableness, bad what ratio"

darkpyro525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:35 AM #5
Darth Balls
Dark Lord of the Bong

okay, ill try that.

yeah i was thinking going into control panel and turning down mouse sensitivity in there but keeping the DPI really high.

i've never had a like a high end gaming mouse before so all this ****s new to me lol
Old 05-28-2010, 04:14 AM #6
Zellv2
GRAAAAAAA

Zellv2 is playing at Living Legends III
Zellv2 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Zellv2 supports Team VICIOUS
Zellv2 is for the Gunfight
DPI = dots per inch. So 1600 DPI would be 1600 dots for every inch the mouse moves. And what not.

They (High-end mice-making companies) included the DPI feature to add a certain personal touch to it.

Some people (Example: myself) like to have the DPI as high as possible. They (we) like to control the mouse with our fingertips and don't like to make any large movements with our hands, wrist, arms or otherwise to get the mouse from point A to point B.

Other people prefer a lower DPI for precision, and don't care about extra hand/wrist/arm movements.

Some people like to switch from one to the other, such as "professional gamers" who like the precision of the low DPI when playing first person shooters normally; but when the mouse control is reduced in some way (For example...zooming in with a scope, controlling a tank turret, or any other situation like that), they switch over to high DPI to allow themselves to move the mouse faster even in a "reduced mouse" state.

It's totally opinion based.

Turning up the DPI on the mouse then reducing the sensitivity defeats the purpose.
Dr. Pete gives us all useful advice
Zellv2 is offline   Reply With Quote