Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 AM #1
splatterboy65

Question Help on Rocket Launcher Project?

Hey guys, i am Planning on making a Bolt Action Rocket Launcher that will cost under $100 but that can shoot Nerf Rockets, Paint grenades, paintballs and so on and so forth. I have made dozens of drawings and plans but theres always something that i dont like about them, such as the trigger mechanism and a lot of other stuff too. I would like to make the Projectiles go far but nothing lethal lol. if anybody has any ideas or drawings or anything please let me know because im stuck, thanks, splatterboy65
splatterboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2010, 11:21 AM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

How about a PUMP action loader? Much simpler, reliable, easier to fabricate design.

Also a sliding Breech loader where the barrel IS the Bolt.

In your application, The Pump Loader has some potential. Instead of moving the sleeve back and forth, Make it FIXED and slide the BARREL back and forth to open the breech for reloading.

It doesn't have to be LOCKED like a high powered rifle bolt. Friction and hand pressure would be MORE than enough. We tend to overbuild our breech loading mechanisms. The cheapest, easiest to build breech loading cannon door is the palm of you hand. It will work with just your hand sealing off the breech.

That would greatly simplify your design and build issues.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM #3
splatterboy65

Thanx man, on the first one though, how many Fires will you get out of that one tank? and is that an In-Line Sprinkler Valve? because ive never seen one like that if it is
Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 AM #4
splatterboy65

oh, and how far will it shoot with a nerf ball in the chamber? sorry for the different post, i just thought of this question
Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM #5
Boom Master
Scenario Player

That valve is a commercial pneumatic Quick Exhaust valve. All metal rated for 200 psi. Below an illustration how the plumbing works on the beast.

Just posted how to adapt that fire extinguisher body into an air chamber. It stores the air charge for a single Rocket Shot. It is refilled by an standard paintball air supply via remote hose. You can set where it attaches to the regulator in the first picture. You will need an 100 cubic inch volume air chamber for your anti tank weapon unless you build something exotic. I have info for those too.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3353230

Just made another post you might find interesting for your application.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3353197

That Beast is called "The Shorty" A 6 pound, 22" long Anti Tank and Bunker Busting 'Sidearm' I can crawl with and reload quickly. Hangs on my side by a shoulder strap. Swing it up, Blast that pesky tank or bunker, drop it, and continue playing with my marker.

At its current 145 psi operating pressure, it generates a 190 fps Nerf that will look like a mortar round but REACH out to about 75 yards. At 40 yds and less, it shoots about the same trajectory as a marker ball.

I plan to upgrade the operating pressure to 195 psi to get that velocity up closer to the field limit of 230 fps out of that unusually SHORT 18" barrel. Why I upgraded for that 150 psi sprinker valve a few years back.

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-28-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:33 PM #6
splatterboy65

thanx man, both of your links were very helpfull and you have gave me lots of new ideas, but one last Question, im sort of on a budjet how much would you say it would cost me to make The Shorty the same exact way you did just to give me some sort of idea on the cost
Old 03-28-2010, 03:47 PM #7
splatterboy65

oh, and how would you fill it, does it just youse air from a compressor or would you bring it into a paintball shop and have them fill it with CO2?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 PM #8
Boom Master
Scenario Player

You are welcome to ask as many questions as you want and long as you want. Helping players complete a successful and safe project is a BIG part of my paintball fun, besides tinkering, and playing.

"oh, and how would you fill it"

It runs off a standard paintball air tank that is NOT SHOWN in the picture. That fire extinguisher body just holds the air needed for ONE Shot. So I refil the paintball air supply just like any other paintball tank at the field's fill station when it runs out. It can use CO2 but it gets so cold that the liquid CO2 Literally turns into Dry Ice inside the tank and will not generate ANY pressure for 30-40 minutes. Hard on your regulators too. Only a problem when you shoot more than 3 shots in rapid succession with seems to be ALL the time. It likes compressed air and will fire until the tank is empty.

My air supply is carried in an 8+1 pod carrier worn BACKWARDS on my front side. Nerfs where the Pods would normally be and the air tank in the middle. Hooks up to that pressure regulator in the picture through a standard remote hose. It it attached where it is Labeled "Air Fill" in green print. You can see the fill nipple if you look close. I added an on/off air valve in the remote hose so I can turn off the air supply and discharge the cannon when I do not have a target. I don't run around the field with that air chamber charged up. I see a target, I just turn that ball valve on and it is charged up and ready to go before I can get it up and aimed. 2-3 seconds.

The cost to build the Shorty with a sprinkler valve is about $120. About $150 with that metal quick exhaust and shop air blower for a trigger. The biggest expense is the pressure regulator. $65-80 I scrounge used regulators for $10-35 So some savings there is you can pick one up. Call around your paintball stores and see what they have. Leave a number. It is a lot easier for them to make a NEW Reg sale if they know you will buy the old one for $20 as soon as they call you.

The fire extinguisher body is Cheap or FREE from your local fire safety equipment shop. Again call around.

Pressure guage $12, Pressure relief $13, pipe fittings $10-15, shop air trigger $12, spring $1, and I got them ALL at Ace Hardware..

That all metal valve is $35 plus shipping if you can't buy it locally. I can e mail you the part number and manufacturer and they can hook you up with the nearest distributor that may stock it or could order it for you. The rest is PVC pipe, epoxy glue, fiberglass tape, etc. and it all screws together.

Now this is a nickel and dime project. A few dollars a week and build a little, a few dollars next week and build a little. Paycheck to paycheck. A little less Beer, cigarette, and girl money. Build the whole thing except the regulator for $60 or so. It just screws in when you have the money saved up and you are ready to go play. In the meantime, BORROW a REG from a buddy and let them play with it some.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:53 PM #9
splatterboy65

k, thanx man i think thats all the questions i have for right now lol, but for right now thank you very very much
Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 AM #10
"Spec.Ops."
I wasn't here

"Spec.Ops." supports Team VICIOUS
My plan

I was going to make a potato launcher, powered by igniting green-gas (for airsoft guns) and put a toilet paper tube full of paint balls down the barrel and shoot that at some poor shmuk's dome. ... lol

"Spec.Ops." out
"Spec.Ops." is offline   Reply With Quote