PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-14-2010, 10:54 PM #1
tr3b0r
Gone 'til 2k11

Azodin Kaos Pump review (very lengthy)

Let me just preface this by saying that I am a VERY new pump player. The only pump I previously owned was a PGP 2k. So there will be no comparison to a vast majority of pumps on the market, simply my first impressions from today.

I'm primarily a 3/5-man tournament player. However, being in the mid-west, my local field isn't putting up our airball field until it can't freeze since they use water bladders. As much fun as it is to go out against rec-ballers with my Ego, I'd rather not be "that guy that has an expensive gun" and gets swapped back and forth from team to team depending on who is losing. So, I wanted something cheap to throw in my trunk and use whenever I'm not practicing. Lo and behold, I find a used KP for $75. Reading decent reviews, I picked it up without really expecting much.

I got it in Friday and had to work 13 hours on Friday and Saturday so I didn't have any time to tinker with it. I did however see that one of my Vice bolts fit the marker perfectly and it actually fired. Chrono'ing with the new bolt and .678 Eigenbarrel put my velocity at 370+ with the velocity adjuster all the way out. The previous owner had mentioned that the trigger spring was broken. It was in fact the sear spring. But the sear still engaged the striker 3 out of 4 times. Obviously, the faster I pumped, the more of a chance it would not catch. The pump seemed light (compared to my memory of the PGP). I enjoy having a return spring as well. Overall, I really like the ergonomics of the marker. It feels very good using my Crossfire stubby tank. Even with my Rotor sitting on top.

Hit the field early today and it was supposed to be rainy all day. I wanted to at least try the pump so I took the S3 reg off of my SL94 and popped it on the KP. It immediately shot at ~285 (my field limit). I was pretty stoked to go out and play a couple games. My first match I was able to pick off someones hopper and felt good getting the first "K" with the marker. After 3 games, I noticed I had only used the paint in my hopper. I was ridiculously impressed with the lack of paint usage.

During the lunch break I stopped by the chrono to make sure I was still shooting okay. The marker seemed to be shooting low but I had been battling double-triple-quad feeds all day (damn sear spring - and my newbie pumping technique). Step up to the chrono 282-282-282-280... holy crap! Well that works for me!

After midway through the day, I was that "damn pump guy". I played a game where I had a ramping electro laning on me and I was able to snap him out. I just couldn't stop giggling as I ran down the tape to shoot another person. A couple other games I lobbed single shots in to gog someone and hit someone's hopper. Over the course of the day, I shot about 600 paintballs (and that's including what I used to chrono my SL94 and tune my buddy's DM7). I used about 1400psi off of that. So I would be getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,600-1,700 shots off a 68/45.

The bottom line for me is this: this is the most fun I've had playing paintball in a LONG time. I think at least one of my teammate's will be picking one of these up as well.

However, here are some of the cons I encountered:

Farting - It was really bad at times and other times the shots would be as silent as a DM. The shots seemed to be going to same distance. I couldn't figure that out for the life of me. I read on here about getting new springs which I very well may do. Don't know why some of my shots would be completely silent though.

Double feeding - Not the marker's fault since I suck at heavy firing with the pump action as well as not having a fully functioning sear. Regardless, it sucked when I would shoot 3 paintballs and they either lob with no power or explode in my barrel.

Here she is after a rough day. The barrel had most of the mud cleaned off while it was in my barrel wrap:

Last edited by tr3b0r : 03-14-2010 at 11:03 PM.
tr3b0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 AM #2
nePhantom
I love my Cheese

Haha nice!! Join the darkside!! I thoroughly enjoyed that review
nePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM #3
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
That was like a story AND a review. Entertaining. Welcome to the club!

When you notice sometimes that it's loud and other times it's not, could be because holding the pump handle makes it louder - let it go, and it's quieter.

Pumping multiple times before firing will cause double-feeding, but check the detents just in case, since you did get it used.

Last edited by nerdcore : 03-16-2010 at 12:09 PM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:18 PM #4
tr3b0r
Gone 'til 2k11

I actually noticed the tip about the handle today when I was doing my testing. It was ridiculously quiet while I was chronoing and then when I went for some target practice it was farting again. I was eventually able to add 2 and 2 together

And the detents are pretty shot. Not from being used but from the aftermarket bolt not having deep enough detent slots. Adding my double (and more) pumping AND a Rotor and you have the recipe for me shotgunning a lot of paint.

I'm working on the numbers and I'll be posting a full break down of the stock bolt versus my Gen5 bolt.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 AM #5
tr3b0r
Gone 'til 2k11

Just wanted to post this so others know. I hooked up a pressure tester to my Ego HPR. Using my current paint and a .684 (very slight) underbore, my HPR is set at exactly 240psi to achieve 285-290fps.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:15 PM #6
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Farting is typically associated with the poppet "double actuating" which is why spring rates helps. It sounds like a stronger valve/weaker main would help you out. Makes it easier to pump, too.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 PM #7
tr3b0r
Gone 'til 2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
Farting is typically associated with the poppet "double actuating" which is why spring rates helps. It sounds like a stronger valve/weaker main would help you out. Makes it easier to pump, too.
I'll have to toy around with some springs from my Spyder kit. I installed a lighter striker spring and valve spring. Shots when I'm not touching the pump handle are absolutely quiet now (holding the handle gives the typical farting noise). Since the valve spring is lighter, I'm guessing it acted as a higher mechanical dwell. Currently, my operating pressure is just over 200psi to reach 285fps.

Definitely interesting to go back to this type of tinkering.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 PM #8
Sam the mad man
Swagg...

Sam the mad man plays in the APPA D5 division
cool i love my kp
Sam the mad man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 PM #9
FatKidPower
Figgy pudding

cool iv had my kp pump for about a month
I personally love the kaos pump
FatKidPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 AM #10
Enragez

Enragez owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Enragez has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
so you are saying that this gun is a VERY good beginners pump gun?
Enragez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 PM #11
tr3b0r
Gone 'til 2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragez View Post
so you are saying that this gun is a VERY good beginners pump gun?
This gun is as solid as they come. I threw an Etek reg and Q-lock and she was set. Pump stroke is smooth, the design is simple and it's a great performer.

Heck, I brought it onto the speedball field when I was running low on paint from using my Sl8r. Got one elimination and brought it down to a 1 on 1 snapping contest. Held him off for quite a bit, put two on him that bounced (chest and forearm) and he finally caught my knuckle.

Needless to say, everyone was impressed at the KP. Hopefully I can snag KEE's new 100-rnd hopper and get rid of my crappy GXG pocket hopper.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:31 AM #12
Enragez

Enragez owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Enragez has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cool, thanks, you've been real helpful.
Enragez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:20 PM #13
Evac.
Wolfpack

Annual Supporting Member
Evac. is a Paintball photographer
Evac. plays in the PSP
so you could actually stick a vice bolt on there? might try that
Evac. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM #14
Aceup13
KHC: *Angel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evac. View Post
so you could actually stick a vice bolt on there? might try that
Bwuh!? Whaaa?

Am I missing something here?

MCB FEEDBACK!
Proudly sponsored by: Cousins paintball
Knight Hawk Coalition NY
Aceup13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:41 PM #15
tr3b0r
Gone 'til 2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceup13 View Post
Bwuh!? Whaaa?

Am I missing something here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3b0r View Post
I did however see that one of my Vice bolts fit the marker perfectly
I've been rocking a custom made Gen5 bolt for a while. It's been nothing but flawless.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:29 PM #16
Self Medicated
General Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3b0r View Post
I've been rocking a custom made Gen5 bolt for a while. It's been nothing but flawless.
And it does ok even without the grooves for the ball detents?

Ebay
M. Carter Brown
Old PbNation
New PbNation
SpecOps
Self Medicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:24 PM #17
tr3b0r
Gone 'til 2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Medicated View Post
And it does ok even without the grooves for the ball detents?
The dents are pretty shot. But they don't actually do anything for my pump anyways. When I threw my Rotor on high tension (and all 3 AA's) it would double feed on occasion. But if I use a grav/agitating hopper, it's always one ball per pump. I also use a .678 barrel to prevent roll outs.

I could cut the grooves a little longer on the bolt but I don't see it making that much of a difference. I mean, with the KP, the bolt is constantly going to be pushing against the detents a bit since it's forward at rest.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 AM #18
jwied
SAY WHAT!?!

after i bought my KP a week ago. everyone that has touched it wants one.
and as i posted in an other thread, the Gen5 bolt is a plus for this gun.

have you tried the primo yet?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 AM #19
smellslikepork
Ambush - VC

Annual Supporting Member
smellslikepork is BST Legit
smellslikepork is Boss
I have the new sportshot on my kp. Sits better than the primo and it works as well.
smellslikepork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 AM #20
tr3b0r
Gone 'til 2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellslikepork View Post
I have the new sportshot on my kp. Sits better than the primo and it works as well.
My proshop still doesn't have the new SportShot in I tried to pick two up yesterday. I'll be grabbing those and a few 100rd pods when they arrive.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 AM #21
Aceup13
KHC: *Angel*

Hmmmm interesting news--I'm going to have to steal-- I mean *borrow* my friend's bolt. heheh Sacrifice his vice for my azodin.

I really really really want to figure out how to get a sweep bolt in there a la alien. My dad has every tool known to man and yet he lacks a lathe-- maybe I can convince him to get one? haha

MCB FEEDBACK!
Proudly sponsored by: Cousins paintball
Knight Hawk Coalition NY
Aceup13 is offline   Reply With Quote