Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-10-2010, 11:41 PM #1
Zip Connections

Question Sp1...Is it really an upgrade?

Hey everyone, I just have a few questions. I play woodsball 100% percent of the time. I currently shoot an A5. I want to upgrade to something thats not as "clunky" when shooting. If the gun can blast off 20 bps or not doesnt matter to me at all, i will cap it at 10 anyways because thats the limit for the group of guys i play with. I am looking at the SP1 from smart parts i heard it shoots amazingly smooth which increases its "accuracy" over any tippmann. My question is that its priced at a "entry level gun" and i am not an entry level player. i have 300 dollars to fork out on a gun (that includes upgrades as well). I was looking at an SP1 Blackheart with a cp 2 piece barrel. the set up looks nice on paper but is it really going to be that much of an improvement over my a5? or would i be better off getting a G3 which is stock at 300. IS the g3 really 125$ better than the sp1 or do you pay all that for tourny stuff i will never use. Thanks.
Zip Connections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 PM #2
DasWolfenstein

This is will be locked anyway so:

Smart parts will most likely screw you over in the warranty somehow but it is nice to shoot so it is somewhat an upgrade but if you like your A-5 get a flat-line and the sp1 is pretty much the same.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM #3
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

yo should look into the x7 phenom. that looks like a sweet gun

http://1sspanzerkorps.com/
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:17 PM #4
Zip Connections

ya that was my thought. if i bought the sp1 it would be about the same quality as my a5 and would be looking for an upgrade again.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 PM #5
subyrally
Trust your turbo lust

i own both, love both. plain and simple, the sp1 will let you use better paint since it is a lot lighter on the paint than any tippmann. the sp1 is also a lot more efficient than the a5.

like i said before, i own and love both guns. the best way to decide would be to get ahold of a sp1 to try out for a day. it really comes down to preference.

in my opinion, the a5 is going to be more rugged and durable, the sp1 will be more consistant and efficient. both will get the job done, both can be upgraded, it just comes down to what you want out of a gun and what makes you happy.

if you have an questions, feel free to ask, if i can help, i will.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 PM #6
Zip Connections

just curios but has any one here ever shot am ADG tac-one? i have been reading and sounds like those guns are top notch.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 PM #7
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Honestly the SP1 is just as rugged as an A5 and doesn't need to be upgraded out of the box.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:50 PM #8
LordOderus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Honestly the SP1 is just as rugged as an A5 and doesn't need to be upgraded out of the box.
I have an SP1. I like it and it does shoot really nice right out of the box. I wouldn't say it is as rugged as an A5 though. The max flo regulators on them can be a bit finicky. The nicest thing about the sp1 is the trigger on it. It's really soft and feels really comfortable. You can easily get the 11bps the board caps at using the single trigger without any trouble.
LordOderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 PM #9
HeartlessJersey
Murphy

HeartlessJersey owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
HeartlessJersey owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip Connections View Post
just curios but has any one here ever shot am ADG tac-one? i have been reading and sounds like those guns are top notch.
Automags are tinkers guns. It's a completely mechanic system developed to never chop a paintball. It requires a high output on the tank pressure which decreases its air efficiency. Unfortunately break beam eyes pretty much out stripped AGD's technology, although to be honest if they were still up and running making new markes, who knew what could be going on.

for $300 maybe you should get an SLG. Decently air efficiency, and the gun comes with a warrant - unlike the sp1. it also has cocker threads and smart parts threads suck.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 AM #10
bebopblues2071

Look into a mini. If you really like the Mil-sim look, the bt's TM-7 and TM-15 are good tickets (same guts differant body). I've been playing with my mini (that sounded dirty ) for over 4 years now and love it for woods and bunkers. X7 phenom is a good blaster as well. I've shot and like the sp1 but the future of smart parts doesn't look to golden right now. I'd stick with the kee and tippy brands at this time if i were you.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:37 PM #11
bcrguy
F**k S**t Up...

bcrguy is playing at Living Legends VI
bcrguy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i went from using a 98 custom to using a shocker about a year ago.. best decision ever.. the shocker is lighter tighter and faster.. but it is up to personal preference.. i have shot an sp1 before and i did like it.. i was debating getting one but at the time it made more sense to go with the shocker i got..
Citrus Connection #88
bcrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:28 PM #12
RIPPER708

RIPPER708 is playing at Living Legends III
RIPPER708 is playing at Living Legends VI
RIPPER708 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RIPPER708 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I got an A5 way back in 2006, used it one time, gave it to my brother, it was never for me. I got a Shocker afterwards, and that was better suited for me.
I bought an SP1 two years ago, fell in love with this marker. The SP1 is very accurate, air efficient and very easy on brittle paint, no recoil at all. After I got this marker, I haven't used my Dark Shocker.
Overall, it is a great marker. I sometime attached my Havoc onto it.
Proud supporter of CPX and Warped Sportz (Schererville, IN).
RIPPER708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 AM #13
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

One of the biggest differences no one has mentioned yet is that the SP-1's feedneck is located directly over the trigger whereas the A5's is way far out in front of it. This means that an SP-1, or a similar marker, will be much shorter from the grip to the end of the barrel than a Tippmann will be.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 PM #14
AmazingBilldo
I..... win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip Connections View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessJersey View Post
Automags are tinkers guns. It's a completely mechanic system developed to never chop a paintball. It requires a high output on the tank pressure which decreases its air efficiency.
the AGD is not a bad way to go at all. mags are known to be just as reliable as tippmanns. as far as efficiency goes, yes, it does like higher tank outputs, and yes, it can eat up air when you let the trigger RT. no, it is not a tinker's gun, that is called an autococker mags are pretty simple to set up and a blast to play with.

ultimately, though, i tell you this: i wish i never would have sold my a-5.
AmazingBilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 AM #15
Shru

well for woodsball i use a Macdev Drone, bought it for 550.00
had SP1 guns for the last 2 yrs (5 now) played with my drone 2 weeks ago and my sons hopper was messing up a bit on the SP1, so i traded him out for the day, gave him my Drone and i played with the SP1...needless to say, I have thought about selling my Drone and just sticking with my SP1 markers, actually last night, i found a stock SP1 locally in mint condition for only 110.00
Yep, i bought it, could not resist buying yet another SP1, parts are somewhat harder to find, still looking for a blackhearted SP1 now, have only 1 of them so far....I can only say that you can shoot 1000.00 guns or 500.00 guns but if you have shot SP1 markers, it is hard to get away from them, they just feel really comfortable, and i am not afraid to go thru the brush with the SP1 compared to the Drone (afraid to scratch drone)..
In my opinion, shoot what you want to shoot, find someone who has one and try it out, but i honestly don't think you would be upset at yourself if you got one...
And if you buy this blackhearted SP1 and figure that it is just not you, send me a PM with pics... more than likely i will buy it up fast
Shru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 PM #16
Eclipse Dynasty

Eclipse Dynasty is playing at Living Legends III
Eclipse Dynasty owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Eclipse Dynasty supports Team VICIOUS
I have to say The X7 phenom
Eclipse Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:17 PM #17
Syam Tam Chuk

As far as playing in rough conditions go, my SP1 has beaten every other marker I know of. It works better in the extreme cold (-18C) than any of the Tippmanns I saw on the field (and I was running CO2 over a remote just to test it), it's been dropped, tossed in fury, dunked in a river, and stepped on. Now I know how tough tippy's are supposed to be, but if you step on an A5 you will end up breaking one of the many plastic pieces.

It's quiet, it's smooth, and it is compact, which means that you can move faster with it, and hit targets more readily. My Angel 1 never even sees the field any more.

Then I thought, I could win this!
Syam Tam Chuk is offline   Reply With Quote