Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-13-2010, 01:19 PM #1
Latsabb

How the hell do you get the macroline fitting on the reg off?

Hello everyone. My 90 degree macro fitting has been leaking for months, and it is not due to the macro line, it is due to the fitting itself. I am not sure why, but it has been a problem ever since I bought the SLG.

Anyway, I decided to replace the elbow, and damned if I can get the original one off. I saw that it more than likely had red loctite on it (thanks a lot Proto, *******s) so I heated it up with a hair drying so that the reg was so damned hot I had to wear oven mittens just to grip the reg. I grabbed a wrench, and started in on it. Nothing, it would not move for ****. As a matter of fact, it is completely stripping my fitting, and I am not using an adjustable wrench either, I am using a 7/16ths, which fits perfectly on it, and it is STILL ripping up the fitting. I dont know what to do, and pretty soon here I will need to buy a new reg because I will never be able to get the fitting off...

Thanks for any tips. I have included pictures.

Latsabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2010, 02:26 PM #2
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

First thing I would do is diassemble the Hyper-3 so as not to damage it any further.

Then I'd put boil the bottom part with the fitting in water to get it as hot as possible, put on some gloves, then lock the macroline fitting into a vise and unscrew the reg cap from the fitting.

Another approach would be to hacksaw off the swivel part of the fitting and attack what was left with a properly-sized bolt extractor.

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 PM #3
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Two other ideas, and I haven't tried these is to use WD-40 to weaken the loctite, or to add MORE red loctite. The theory is that the fresh loctite contains the same solvent that made the original loctite pliable, and reintroducing it might weaken the old thread sealer and break the hold.

Here's the SLG manual that details how to disassemble the reg.
http://www.dyematrix.com/manuals/Pro...SLG_Manual.pdf
You might need snap ring pliers to take the bottom cap off the swivel.
Good luck.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:04 PM #4
Latsabb

Thanks for the advice. However, the 09 SLG seems to have a different reg than the one you showed in the manual. As a matter of fact, I am looking at my manual, and it does not appear to come apart like that at all. All I see in my manual is a way to remove the seat. I am seriously starting to get pissed about this SLG, since it has been back to back problems since the day I bought it.

I would hate to take it to my local pro shop, as they charge 340 Norwegian Kroner an hour to work on guns, and that is almost 60 dollars an hour, but it looks like I might not have much of a choice... But if it is going to take more than an hour, I might as well just buy a new reg...
Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
Thanks for the advice. However, the 09 SLG seems to have a different reg than the one you showed in the manual. As a matter of fact, I am looking at my manual, and it does not appear to come apart like that at all. All I see in my manual is a way to remove the seat.
Yeah, you're right.
For 2010 year they changed the reg design, and it looks like your gun has one of the new regs too. The current one is not as user-rebuildable as the old one was. Even if you used a snap-ring plier to get the C-clip off not all the parts would come out and boiling might damage some of the seals.
http://www.dyematrix.com/manuals/Pro...SLG_Manual.pdf

Still, I think your best shot would be to use a vise and/or bolt extractors.

Also, I thought of two other methods you could try:

1. Cut off the swivel fitting and crosscut the top of the threaded portion with a dremel, then use a large flathead screwdriver to unscrew the section.

2. Crossdrill a hole through the threaded section and use a nail or other steel tool as a tommy bar to unscrew the fitting.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:45 PM #6
Latsabb

I got the thing off, finally. I ended up taking a hacksaw, and cutting it just below the elbow, where it pivots. I had to shave the sides down with a file to use a smaller wrench on it since all the corners were rounded. I put a socket on it, with a nice long ratchet on it, and gave it a good kick and it cracked. Shaved the bottom thread on the reg though, which is a shame, but it doesnt seem to affect it yet.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM #7
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Awesome!
Glad to hear you showed that thing who's boss.