Community Focus

Old 03-22-2010, 12:14 AM #22
BVeirs
Veirs007

BVeirs owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Lol. at the battle going on between and their opinions

keep it going! =D

well i'll chip in

i'd get a decent used marker, nothing brand new really, think it through for a bit and if your still set on getting a new expensive one go for it.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...445&highlight=
Everything Goes!
BVeirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 AM #23
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

jay3303 supports Team VICIOUS
He doesn't need a brand new high end gun, I agree with evrything that Cody has said. How long has this guy been paintballing? How old is he?
To tell you the truth I could care less what your friend does with his money, I'm just sayin that I don't think getting a 700-1200 dollar gun is good to get if he hasn't been playing too long, he might not even like the sport in a couple of months. I suggest he takes things slow, buy a cheap highend gun for around 300-400 or something around there and make his way up from there if he starts to get more serious about it. I've only had one marker since I started and I just converted it into pump. Semi just wasn't my thing, so just tell him to take it slow, I'm pretty sure he needs a good hpa tank and a good hopper for the highend gun he wants to get.
jay3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 AM #24
SupportinYou
FSSSB

SupportinYou plays in the PSP
SupportinYou is playing at Living Legends V
SupportinYou owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SupportinYou posts videos on PbNation
SupportinYou is Legendary
Well, here's a good reason. If he gets a cheaper high end like an Etek 3 or PMR or something like that then he has money left over to buy a good hopper, a good, thermal, mask, a good air tank, and if he wants, a carbon fiber barrel. and extra money for paint if he wants to use Evil or Draxxus Gold Line
EKK ELITE SOLDIER
SupportinYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM #25
meatwad969
PSN: thebuttninja

this situation happened to me a while back. it was christmas time in 2007, and me and a close friend asked for new(well, better) markers instead of the tippmanns we were using.

he got a SmartParts epiphany, while i got a WGP superstock autococker.

no real "this ones better" argument.

he then traded his epiphany for a DM5. we had only been playing paintball about 4 months now.

heres the problem; i tried to convince him not to get it because i knew this would happen(and it did) : he wouldnt shut up about it. it was always "my markers better, this is better, im better" and i had finally had enough of it, so i just stopped talking to him.

i believe thats the worst case scenario. i mean hey, i have an SL94 that i purchased myself and hes still trading around 07-08 used markers. am i rubbing it in his face? no.

if your friend wants to go get a highend marker, let him. just bide your time, actually iron out your own personal playing skills, and go play paintball.

lastly, equipment doesnt make the player.
meatwad969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 AM #26
spyderman_xtra

spyderman_xtra helped look for balloons
spyderman_xtra is playing at Living Legends III
spyderman_xtra supports Bob Gurnsey
spyderman_xtra is attending Decay of Nations VI
I'm waiting for this thread to be closed.
Looks like a flamefest to me

Gearbagg sale please buy my stuff
LP Crossfire fresh Hydro looking to trade for smaller tank
Old School Feedback
"Originally posted by jwarrenjg: school takes priority...paintball you can play all your life."
spyderman_xtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 PM #27
SupportinYou
FSSSB

SupportinYou plays in the PSP
SupportinYou is playing at Living Legends V
SupportinYou owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SupportinYou posts videos on PbNation
SupportinYou is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman_xtra View Post
I'm waiting for this thread to be closed.
Looks like a flamefest to me
Got dat right. I still think that he should get a cheap highend and then buy a Rotor, 68/45 carbon fiber tank, and a CF barrel
EKK ELITE SOLDIER
SupportinYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 PM #28
webinarwizards

webinarwizards supports Team VICIOUS
webinarwizards is for the Gunfight
Just get a SLS
Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM #29
Dr. Bedsprings
THIS IS MY JAM!

well to actually support what this kid asked, hes gonna buy an 1100 dollar gun and then its not going to work after 2 days because he hasnt ever cleaned the thing and then hes going to put it down and be like, im done with paintball. The gun does not make the player. alot of kids out there who's parents buy them new egos would get wrecked 10 on 10 by other players who were throwing paintballs at them barehanded. Dont get a tourney gun until you get to the tourney level. If you're gonna sign up for a rookie or a young guns, then thats the time to invest.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:22 AM #30
jrminty2021
Fly Solo

If that's what he wants to do, let him do it. I would only suggest that he doesn't buy new. There's a lot of used **** on here that is mint (just bought a proto pm6 with a virtue board not too long ago for 200, it was never used, still had the price tags on it, but I found it on the used threads). I'd say best thing to do is help him find what he's looking for and make sure he doesn't get scammed. If he decides not to play later on he can always sell the stuff

Paintball in the X-Games Petition Signature #28312
jrminty2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 PM #31
The Badger

Let him spend his money, or his parent's if their willing. If hes only been playing for around two weeks chances are hes not that good yet and a high end marker isn't gonna make him great. Will he have an advantage over some kids? Yes, but if he doesn't know how to maintain his gun or how to set it up hes gonna get tore up. Some good advice would be shoot for a mid-range marker and upgrade it as needed.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 AM #32
Spartan 03
The Heretics

Spartan 03 is playing at Living Legends VI
Spartan 03 supports Team VICIOUS
Spartan 03 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spartan 03 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
There is no reason not to buy a new high-end marker in and of itself. Meaning, there is nothing inherently wrong with it. Most of the comments against buying high-end that I've read here are more about the player than the marker. "My friend bought this high-end, and turned into a jerk", that kind of stuff. If that is your concern, your friend needs to work on his character, not his paintball game.

My experience with high-ends is that they don't require as much maintainance, generally, as lower-end guns and aren't really much more technical to work on. If you can clean and oil a PMR, you can clean and oil a DM10. I do, however, encourage your friend to buy a used high-end. A used Ego7 works just as well as a new Ego10, a used DM 7 works just as well as a new DM10, etc etc ad nauseum. This from experience. Too many kids buy brand new because they are more worried about thier image than thier game.
If I make you cheat, I win.
WORKS Autococker
Spartan 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 AM #33
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendrbass335 View Post
High ends require proper maintenance and upkeep. A lot of you said not to hold him back and let him gets what he wants, but that's not a good idea if he doesn't know how to take care of it.

You were absolutely right in telling him not to rush into it. Has your friend played speedball? You say he only started last week. What if he doesn't enjoy playing the fast 5v5 format. Dropping 1100 on an Ego seems like a waste if you don't enjoy using it, let alone if it works properly.
Why do you assume he wants to play tournament ball? Recball players want light, efficient, and nice guns too.

I know plenty of players who go out on the weekends and play recball with high end guns. They don't shoot in ramp, or abuse their ROF over a mechanical gun.

Let him do as he pleases.
texaspaintballplpaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 AM #34
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
i'd let him get it. because once it breaks, he probably won't know how to fix it, but if he does know how to fix it, then why shouldn't he get a nice marker?
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM #35
bcrguy
F**k S**t Up...

bcrguy is playing at Living Legends VI
bcrguy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanglands View Post
my friend just started paintballing about a week or two ago. He started out with a spyder xtra custom its a cheap beginner gun. Well now he's out trying to get a dye, angel, or planet eclipse. I'm trying to explain to him why he shouldn't rush into tourney guns. Can you give me more reasons on why he shouldnt spend that kind of money yet.
nothing against tourney guns but he shouldnt rush into a marker that needs alot of maintenance.. that will be a big deterrent form playing often...

however nothing that you listed should need as much maintenance as my sft shocker... lol but be warned that higher end guns come with higher maintenance.. (personally i would go with an etek 3 for now if he decided to go completely against what you say)

also im my expierence the longer you play against better people with better guns the better you get.. my 10 year old brother shoots a spyder victor (gravity feed hopper, and co2) and iv seen him take out some people that have expensive guns no problem.. now im not saying he couldnt use the extra firepower if he were to get a better gun but i am saying that when im going into some local tourneys this year hes gonna be on my teams roster..

Last edited by bcrguy : 04-03-2010 at 02:10 PM.
bcrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:11 PM #36
orvilleredenbachers
buy my ****

Annual Supporting Member
orvilleredenbachers is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
orvilleredenbachers is Legendary
id agree with whats said, it seems as if youre trying to hold him back. let him get what HE wants, its one thing to give advice but forcing is another thing. not necessarily all the top gear is needed, but its up to him whether he gets it or not.

Sorry, but jesus ****ing christ learn to use commas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupportinYou View Post
Well, here's a good reason. If he gets a cheaper high end like an Etek 3 or PMR or something like that then he has money left over to buy a good hopper, a good, thermal, mask, a good air tank, and if he wants, a carbon fiber barrel. and extra money for paint if he wants to use Evil or Draxxus Gold Line
orvilleredenbachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 AM #37
IslandP8ntballer
Paintballin' in paradise

IslandP8ntballer supports Cereal Killerz 2
IslandP8ntballer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
IslandP8ntballer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
IslandP8ntballer has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If his parents don't mind the fact that he wants to throw around $1000 in equipment I don't see what's wrong with that. Sure he'll freak out when he gets a scratch/breaks/ruin his gun, but it's his money, so it's his problem.
IslandP8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 AM #38
Purple_people_eaterZ
Lets play PAINTWARZ!

Purple_people_eaterZ plays in the PSP
Purple_people_eaterZ owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Purple_people_eaterZ plays in the APPA D4 division
Tell him to go for it, he's not using your money.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM #39
GetInTheVan

GetInTheVan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTriChick View Post
I agree with ^^^^ why the heck not? I am a new player, but entering tourneys this year and my first gun that I bought in december is a used ego 08 and have another on the way.

Why get a beginner gun then have to get another gun in a year or two? this way I will grow into my gun
Because he runs the risk of getting into tournaments, getting sandbagged, and being discouraged to playing again.

Most people don't understand that a lot of the cheaper guns out there can compete with the higher end guns. I shoot a legend and a 4 year old up'd ion and I can reach 15bps on the ion easy.
GetInTheVan is offline   Reply With Quote