PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 AM #1
Gaps

has been a member for 10 years
Gaps owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
*need help* Confucius' thoughts on TV shows like Southpark and True Blood

Hey guys, I have to debate today in front of my class with 3 other students and am ill prepared. If you could help me out i'd greatly appreciate it.

So, the debate is Confucians vs. Daoists and we're discussing whether or not they would agree TV shows like Southpark and True Blood would be acceptable to their views.

I'm taking the side of the Confucians. Why or Why not would Confucius think shows such as these were acceptable? Specific examples would be prime.

Thanks

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3214945
Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 AM #2
Gold Leader (Banned)

Confuscius has never seen south park.
Gold Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM #3
Gaps

lol, i realize that. just imagine he has.

considering his ideals, what would he think of these shows today?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:46 AM #4
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul

Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
He with whom neither slander that gradually soaks into the mind, nor statements that startle like a wound in the flesh, are successful may be called intelligent indeed.

-Confucius
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM #5
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
lol, i realize that. just imagine he has.

considering his ideals, what would he think of these shows today?
i don't understand how confucious could have anything to do with south park...he was alive like 2000 years ago.....
Old 03-30-2010, 11:22 AM #6
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Having been presented with modern television, neither ancient Confucians or Daoists would have found them acceptable forms of entertainment. Your teacher is an imbecile. This exercise sounds like something designed to occupy a room full of kids who are either too stupid or too apathetic to care about the reality of the subject matter.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 PM #7
Gaps

actually, this is an upper division chinese philosophy class at the University of Texas taught by Kathleen Higgins, wife of recently passed existentialist Robert Solomon, but this is irrelevant. useful answers appreciated.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:00 PM #8
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
actually, this is an upper division chinese philosophy class at the University of Texas taught by Kathleen Higgins, wife of recently passed existentialist Robert Solomon, but this is irrelevant. useful answers appreciated.
OH YA, I KNOW BOTH OF THEM. THEY AR SO FULL OF ****
Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 PM #9
Gaps

lol

Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM #10
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Wellllll, confucius say that he no rike souf park, its racist.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 PM #11
Gold Leader (Banned)

I took an intro to philosophy class and I'm in college trust me I know what I'm
talking about.

Isn't the point of the activity to learn for your damn self? Perhaps you should just consider going into construction and dropping the whole school
thing.

Last edited by Gold Leader : 03-30-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM #12
Gaps

i'm a philosophy major, "kid."

it's true, i should have taken the initiative to prepare, but things come up. you don't know my situation and have no grounds to judge.

that being said. i struggled through the debate. don't coach me on my life and choices and kindly go **** yourself.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:44 PM #13
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
And? It doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid exercise. Could the professor not explain Confucian and Doaist philosophy to you guys well enough? It's really not hard enough to explain to warrant this kind of juvenile exercise. I'm taking an upper level Chinese history class in which we have to read primary documents about both philosophies as well as other ancient Chinese ideas (Legalism, Mencius, etc). It's being taught by one of the first American students allowed into China during the late 1970's, Dr. Karen Turner. But that really doesn't matter. What matters is that I actually did the readings for her class and therefore don't need to ask Pbn about ancient Chinese philosophy.

Do you really not understand either philosophy or did you just not do your homework? In either case, no homework threads are allowed in this sub-forum. But seriously kid, it's not hard to understand either one. Do like 5 minutes of Wikipedia skimming and you should at least have a solid grasp of both philosophies.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 PM #14
Gaps

i agree with you. the exercise sucked truth be told. it doesn't change the fact that i had to complete it. i don't have a say in telling the prof. to change the curriculum and was simply handling the cards dealt.

it's obvious that she wants us to connect these ideologies with "real world matters" and i was having difficulty connecting confucius' thoughts with something so absurd as Southpark even though i am a fan. i just needed some help in a last ditch effort, but i got flack instead.

*this is going wayyy off topic, but i already did the debate so i don't see a reason not to run with this.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 PM #15
Dk-79
SCHWING!

Quote:

it's true, i should have taken the initiative to prepare, but things come up. you don't know my situation and have no grounds to judge.

that being said. i struggled through the debate. don't coach me on my life and choices and kindly go **** yourself.
You're a philosophy major with some majorly ****ty philosophies.

Funny how that worked out, in'it?
Dk-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM #16
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
i agree with you. the exercise sucked truth be told. it doesn't change the fact that i had to complete it. i don't have a say in telling the prof. to change the curriculum and was simply handling the cards dealt.

it's obvious that she wants us to connect these ideologies with "real world matters" and i was having difficulty connecting confucius' thoughts with something so absurd as Southpark even though i am a fan. i just needed some help in a last ditch effort, but i got flack instead.

*this is going wayyy off topic, but i already did the debate so i don't see a reason not to run with this.
The point isn't the class. I don't understand why you need to ask us how to answer the question being asked of you. You're basically asking other people to do your work. What do you think Confucius or a Daoist would say about South Park?
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 PM #17
Gold Leader (Banned)

Quote:

I can judge as I wish. If you would have studied the two philosophies I'm sure you can find as good an answer as any of us can give you.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 PM #18
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:

no, you're not a philosophy major, becuase philosophy majors do their ****ing homework
Old 04-02-2010, 03:30 PM #19
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
no, you're not a philosophy major, becuase philosophy majors do their ****ing homework
well, to be fair, I did my homework a few months late most of the time. but I did get it done!
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote