e.hilky
HILKY

Annual Supporting Member
e.hilky is playing at Living Legends III
e.hilky is playing at Living Legends V
e.hilky is playing at Living Legends VII
e.hilky owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Dm7 dm8 dm9 question

I have a few dm7s. Been thinking about upgrading. I have heard the dm8/9 are a lot smaller in size. Are they?is it really a noticable size difference?

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4057731

Huge gear bag sale!!!!!!

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4036870&page=2
e.hilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 PM #2
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
I don't think the DM8 is really smaller. The DM9 a little bit. It's noticeable, but not a huge difference though. Find someone at a field with one or take a look at one in a shop and decide for yourself.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM #3
KingJester68

DM8 is actually heavier and bigger then the DM7. It's kind of funny what Dye has done with the DM line. The body looks smaller on the DM9 but the height from bottom of grip frame to top of body is actually practically the same as on the DM7. What they have done is changed the dimensions of material on the grip frame and body. On the DM7 the solenoid sits within the body where as in the DM9 the solenoid sits within the top walls of grip frame. This essentially allows the body to appear smaller while the extra material is now apart of the grip frame. Its a trick of the eye. Kinda ingenious on Dye's part. You wont get any performance improvement from the DM7 to the DM9 besides maybe the detents if you had any problem with them. They operate at the same pressures and function the same.
KingJester68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 AM #4
fofo
Make an assessment!

fofo plays in the PSP
fofo plays in the APPA D3 division
It Comes down to weight and comfort. The All shoot the same pretty much. Idk how much truth is behind what King is saying. But My friends Dm8 is def. Bigger then my dm10 (which is pretty much a dm9).
Cameron Peek Fan #1
Trade My Gun
Paintball Plex
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 AM #5
FlashZ33
REVO

has been a member for 10 years
FlashZ33 plays in the PSP
FlashZ33 plays in the APPA D2 division
I'd keep the DM7. All of the guns shoot exactly the same.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 AM #6
KingJester68

@fofo

I know its hard to believe and I didn't either until I had my DM7 and my friends DM9 side by side. I wouldn't believe it until I saw it.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:20 AM #7
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
I don't know about height from bottom of frame to top of body, but I am pretty sure the DM9 is shorter front to back, since I think they use a shorter bolt kit. And the reg sits higher into the body because they removed the on/off.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 PM #8
KingJester68

^^ That's true. They shortened the length of the body from front to back so it's like the pm8. To compensate for the diminished volume around the top hat they milled out the area around the top hat so they could keep the operating pressure at 145 psi. The front is shorter now that they have removed the on/off from under the barrel. The overall difference in weight between the DM7 and DM9 is 2.6 oz. With barrel and battery the DM7 weighs 2.6 oz and the DM9 is 2.34`oz.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 PM #9
tim2thousand4
Breakout Action Sports!

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
tim2thousand4 is BST Legit
tim2thousand4 is playing at Living Legends VII
tim2thousand4 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tim2thousand4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tim2thousand4 supports DLX Technology
I've had all 3. All feel like dms to me. Keep with dm7 or dm8. Shoots the same and cheaper.
tim2thousand4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 PM #10
Ty29
Nor Mich raised

I've compared the IM9 and the DM7, and to me they felt identical save the lpr in the front.
Ty29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM #11
Poopshute
Chex5: "Um... shoot!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJester68 View Post
DM8 is actually heavier and bigger then the DM7. It's kind of funny what Dye has done with the DM line. The body looks smaller on the DM9 but the height from bottom of grip frame to top of body is actually practically the same as on the DM7. What they have done is changed the dimensions of material on the grip frame and body. On the DM7 the solenoid sits within the body where as in the DM9 the solenoid sits within the top walls of grip frame. This essentially allows the body to appear smaller while the extra material is now apart of the grip frame. Its a trick of the eye. Kinda ingenious on Dye's part. You wont get any performance improvement from the DM7 to the DM9 besides maybe the detents if you had any problem with them. They operate at the same pressures and function the same.

You got that spot on. I noticed this the second the pictures came out for the DM9. Make the frame bigger while making the body smaller. Funny. There's only so much you can cut away when you're dealing with virtually the same internals.
Mile High Saints #1 Stunna! Wha, wha, wha, wha, WHA!
BLITZ PAINTBALL
My DM7, it makes me happy!!!

GO BUFFS
Poopshute is offline   Reply With Quote