Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-27-2010, 11:06 PM #1
The_Jackal

Tournament Problem Scenario (Need opinions)

Several teams had "B" squads to participate for the day.

So here's the scenario I just recently encountered (hopefully there wont be too much confusion):

In midst of the tournament Team "alpha" and "bravo" are called out to check in chrono and wait to start the game. Both teams check in and play through the round, team "alpha" eventually sweeps team "bravo" earning 100 pts leaving "bravo" with 0. Few rounds later team "alpha" is told that they must RE-DO that game and that the game they just played would not be counted, taking away their 100 pts! Reason being: They played the wrong "bravo" squad. "Bravo" (a) squad played for "bravo" (b) squad out of confusion in their names. Ultimately the game was forced to be waved and the game had to be re-done by order of the ref.

But who is at fault? The ref for checking in the wrong team and allowing the game to be played? Team "bravo"? For being unorganized and unaware of the schedule in which was posted ahead of time? Or "alpha"? For being in a position they had no control over.

If anyone was at OSC today may know what I am talking about and was a major difference in some placements for the tournament.
The_Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2010, 11:12 PM #2
Mr. Jingles
I kill for SR

it's clearly the ref's faults for checking in the wrong players...whoever was keeping track of the schedule(ref wise) clearly ****ed up...

There's no easy way around this, as it ****s over one team pretty hard getting max'd when they didn't even play...I guess a re-do is the easiest thing, as much as it sucks for the team that already won.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 PM #3
eudaman
Professional Mis-informer

eudaman plays in the PSP
eudaman plays in the APPA D4 division
yeah ref f'd up for not checking, but they are human and its hard to keep track especially since names are similar. at another pump tourney there was some confusion too when the a squad played the b squad and i guess they called a 1 for 1 and didnt know which player to pull cuz both teams were wearing the same jersey. i didnt find out what came out of that situation tho.

back on topic, alpha should have kept the points and both bravo squads should be penalized in that round because both bravo squads should have been aware of their schedule.
eudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:38 AM #4
wilted_bunker
Murk Fools

has been a member for 10 years
Cool

It helps a bit if you have the two squads named different (maybe add a phrase after the team). Numbers and colors can get confusing at times. * And when playing against your own team with the same jerseys, just be sure one team has their jerseys flipped inside out or something. Even though it has nothing to do with the situation.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 AM #5
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
While I don't know the specific situation, when your team is called, you had better be paying attention. If the Ref calls for "The Jerks", but another local team called "The Dyurks" comes up instead, the ref has no real responsibility for keeping track of that, particularly if he doesn't know the two teams apart from each other.

Now, if the Ref's game sheet has two teams on it that he wrote down, and one wasn't supposed to play the other (and he is aware of this fact) then it's his fault, most certainly.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:45 PM #6
Texas_pump

Yeah, that killed us. We took second; lost to the team that didnt show and had to replay a game. I will say the names, it was a good event and we (Ronins) took 2nd thinkin when we got there that 5th was a good day.

This sit was from Gat and Ronins. We had 2 teams; LA Ronins & Ronins. Gat had Gat & team Gat. It was LA Ronins vs. Team Gat, but the ref called Gat. So Gat and LA Ronins played; LA won. But after, it was stated the wrong game was played (not sure by who but most likely i would assume Team Gat said something, cause it hurt them). So the refs forced another game between Team Gat & LA Ronins. That game had no flag hang or pull from what I know of; everyone was counted as hit cause the last guy ran out of bounds. We lost by 7 points. 1 kill. Funny but the replay; refs fault for callin the wrong team.
Texas_pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 PM #7
The_Jackal

And just to put icing on the cake we (LA Ronins) had swept both gat teams regardless of the order they went up before the re-do. I know that if they had won they wouldn't have argued for the match to be recalled. Aside from that though it was a great day, a bit dusty with all the wind, but good nevertheless.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM #8
Texas_pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by eudaman View Post
yeah ref f'd up for not checking, but they are human and its hard to keep track especially since names are similar. at another pump tourney there was some confusion too when the a squad played the b squad and i guess they called a 1 for 1 and didnt know which player to pull cuz both teams were wearing the same jersey. i didnt find out what came out of that situation tho.

Yeah that was check it at the WCPPL event; you can find a video of it on the WCPPL thread. They ended up callin that game a draw between the teams.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:26 PM #9
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Totally inappropriate names, I blame the teams.

If I was working registration I would never allow two teams to register as team "Gat" and team "Team Gat". I would at least require "Gat 1" and "Gat 2". Or "Gat red" and "Gat black".

Same with the other teams. A clarifying suffix is a must.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 PM #10
Gat Products
get GAT or get Got

Gat Products is BST Trusted
Gat Products works for a Paintball manufacturer
Gat Products plays in the USPL
Gat Products donated to help Peyton Trent
Gat Products supports Bob Gurnsey
The name thing was not intentional. If you look at the first event we ran as GAT, TAG, & hundredth monkey. When we registered we registered 3 teams assuming they would be the same. Sorry for the confusion. Ronin you guys kick ***. see you at the next one

YUMA RATTLERS #1 fan
Order of seven #1 Fan
MUDDY WATER BOYS #1 FAN
BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED #1 FAN
Gat Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM #11
Texas_pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat Products View Post
The name thing was not intentional. If you look at the first event we ran as GAT, TAG, & hundredth monkey. When we registered we registered 3 teams assuming they would be the same. Sorry for the confusion. Ronin you guys kick ***. see you at the next one
Yeah I was lookin at the names on the points standings wonderin why they were different this time. It was a great day out there. Good games, ref'in was rough but fair for the most part. Ronins will be there again next tourney. Good luck at USPL.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:50 AM #12
pb4evr13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat Products View Post
And thats why I love OSC always complements. I wish Chingon could have made it but it sounds like a good event hopefully we will make the next one.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 PM #13
The_Jackal

Yea, it's just too bad that this is the last season for OSC. Good luck out there in the future!