PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-29-2010, 03:00 PM #1
cdswensen
Rogue Division

cdswensen owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Pump in the woods

Im new to the thrill that is the pump and i want some opinions. I do just fine at speedball fields in guns fights with the semis but i played woodsball last weekend and i got my **** rocked. With speedball im able to snap shoot around bunkers and eventually make the semi get sloppy but in the woods it was just a matter of time before one the 20 bps got through the brush. For those that play woodsball pump, what tricks do you use to get the perfect kill? Pumps obviously cant hope to get a ball through the brush with mass numbers but i loved playing with my pump and i would like to be the ninja i know i can be. Thanks

Etek 3 AM- Cure 3+, Zick 2, Violent Scythe Trigger
Halo Too
Ninja Carbon 45/4500

GearBag sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3420785
cdswensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2010, 03:15 PM #2
num3n

Annual Supporting Member
num3n supports Sherwood Forest
num3n posts videos on PbNation
I tend to run really fast a shoot very little. When I do come across a firefight that I have to participate in I try to find a large tree and snapshoot. You are at a much larger disadvantage in the woods for sure.

Also auto-triggers.
num3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM #3
LU_aDaK
See you at LL7

Annual Supporting Member
LU_aDaK is playing at Living Legends VI
LU_aDaK is playing at Living Legends VII
I like to run as far out as possible, maybe shoot 1 or 2 out if they are on me... and then sit and wait.

Use your limited shot volume to your advantage. 20bps gives away their position, and allows people to track their shots. shooting 1 ball and then ducking back allows you to keep shooting on a target without them locating you.

Move often, and avoid long range fire fights....

LU_aDaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 PM #4
Yankee Paintball
www.YankeePaintball.com

I try to run a tape line and flank the other team. It's tough with a white Hawaiian shirt but it can be done.
Eric
Owner-Manager Yankee Paintball
Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE. Distributor for Valken, KEE and GI Sportz.
203-906-9621 or 9622
Yankee Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:00 PM #5
cdswensen
Rogue Division

In a recent issue of jungle there was an article about sniper hides and the one about bringing a cloak type cloth to throw over yourself for concealment caught my eye. Has anyone ever tried this tactic for pump?

I was thinking about an auto trigger but i think that kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion, i could just switch over to my etek to do that.

Halo Too
Ninja Carbon 45/4500

GearBag sale
Old 03-29-2010, 04:10 PM #6
worshington (Banned)
come as you are

play smart hide in high traffic areas. shoot, move, repeat.

if you are playing in areas with alot of underbrush you will have to really try and fing openings to shoot through, you cant just unload and hope one ball gets through
worshington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 PM #7
TheSpeedster69
Canada rocks!

in the woods its usually just about position for the shots and not being stuck out in the middle of the field with 15bps from a few players raining in on you. if you wanna play very sneaky you can use a ghillie suit. this adds alot of fun for woods play if you want to make and use one.

other advice would be learn your guns shots very well so when you move up and have a shot on a guy in the window at a decent distance you can nail it and you'll have no problems playing pump vs anything else in the woods. its about the player not the gun.
TheSpeedster69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM #8
Pyrate Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswensen View Post
Im new to the thrill that is the pump and i want some opinions. I do just fine at speedball fields in guns fights with the semis but i played woodsball last weekend and i got my **** rocked. With speedball im able to snap shoot around bunkers and eventually make the semi get sloppy but in the woods it was just a matter of time before one the 20 bps got through the brush. For those that play woodsball pump, what tricks do you use to get the perfect kill? Pumps obviously cant hope to get a ball through the brush with mass numbers but i loved playing with my pump and i would like to be the ninja i know i can be. Thanks
Tricks are learned, not taught.
I can tell you what I did in a particular situation that worked well, but that's an anecdote and while I have a lot of 'em, they're not very useful.

You have to get away from the tournament/speedball mentality.
Speedball develops it's own habits like snap shooting or laning that are not always used when out in the woods. Very sight-oriented since everyone is in sight from start to finish.

In the woods, you have to be able to move when NOT in sight of the other team.
I often rely on sound to gauge direction and distance, listening for the sound of gunfire I'll try pushing forward until I judge myself past the main battle. Then I circle in and try to cause a bit of havoc where it's least expected.

With a pump, pick your fights. Don't go head to head with the high rof's, find a way around them and shoot 'em in their backsides. (something speedball does not offer is a wide tape line somewhere over the next hill)

Knowing the terrain of a particular field is most helpful, the ups and downs offer a lot of unseen movement when circling and sometime unseen shooting positions.

My biggest advantage is the fact that I spend a lot of time in the woods not playing paintball. I know from daily experience what is "natural" and what is not, both sight and sound.
If you can tell the difference, finding humans in the woods is easy.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:28 PM #9
Brendemuhl
I don't like Paintball

Pretend like your playing cod and you have light weight and marathon on. Now add that to your pump play and use your speed to your advantage.
Brendemuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:55 PM #10
ErikT

Yeah woods sucks for that, Autocockers will be thrashing you from a distance and you can't move until they get distracted. Speedball more vision is lost to the other players so you can move around.

With woods you have to run your way to the other side unnoticed while they all go forth in the middle to try to get the other side. When you shoot at them they won't hear you and wont assume you are an opponent. Refs will be confused too because they won't expect you so far up.

Last edited by ErikT : 03-29-2010 at 06:59 PM.
ErikT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 PM #11
ErikT

Quote:
In a recent issue of jungle there was an article about sniper hides and the one about bringing a cloak type cloth to throw over yourself for concealment caught my eye. Has anyone ever tried this tactic for pump?

I was thinking about an auto trigger but i think that kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion, i could just switch over to my etek to do that.
Crazy milsim pumpers been doing that in the beginning of the sport, trying to roleplay military and do militaristic things like "guarding"
ErikT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM #12
Codymm1014
Its MY CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendemuhl View Post
Pretend like your playing cod and you have light weight and marathon on. Now add that to your pump play and use your speed to your advantage.
dont forget ninja pro so they cant hear you coming up on them in the woods
Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 PM #13
paintsoldier8
shut up and shoot people

Suck dirt and learn to find openings.

You'd be amazed how just laying flat on the ground in some high weeds can dumbfound semi players. Also, the only way you'll ever get a ball through the woods for any significant distance is to find holes you know you can shoot through. Now granted you'll want slightly harder paint for woodsplay, but finding areas in between tree batches that only have a few twigs between them is key to one balling.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 AM #14
mister2driver
This is my PUMP BADGE

mister2driver plays in the PSP
mister2driver plays in the APPA D4 division
mister2driver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mister2driver supports Empire
Where we play here in SoCal the pumps usually gets the best of semi players in the woods most of the time. Experience is aways a factor.

Peace-

KAMANDAG Bang Out Games @ WARPED & AMBUSH

mister2driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 AM #15
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Ahh, another fellow Montana pump-player!!!

You should come down to Helena for the next Backwoods Brawlers game on Priest Pass. It's woodsball, but it's a much more "pump-friendly" woodsball field in that there's no underbrush, and lots of big trees and huge boulders so you can advance close to your opponents.

Plus there's the fact that we had at least 40 players last Saturday and the sheer numbers of players running around is also very nice for a pump player. I grew up playing pump as well as semi on that field and fields just like it in the area - if you come down I can show you eveything I know.

I played with my pump for about 5 games last Saturday and did quite well with it, despite what my opponents had. On this field you can still get up close and snap-battle. (one-balled many, many people who were shooting 10x as fast back... )

Honestly, if I ever play on a brushy woodsball field (I hate those fields), I just use a semi. I don't like to do what you have to do if you have a pump on those fields. I like to play aggressively all the time, no matter what - and with a pump you're going to get lit up all the time that way, getting very few eliminations yourself.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:29 AM #16
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Personally I've found when stepping back in the woods, I have to change my mind set completely. In speed ball I love moving down the field and being aggressive, but in the woods that's the thing the other guys are counting on. I usually get it about half way through the day - slow down, look around and be patient. I find if I do this instead of going and looking for opportunities to shoot sumbody, the bad guys come around and give them to me.

And usually they're all bunched up.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 AM #17
cdswensen
Rogue Division

I tried various way of play while i was out, aggressive, staying in one spot the whole game, moving inch by inch. Like most of you guys say i probably do just need a bit more experience with the pump aspect of it. One thing that was irritating though was that i was playing with a bunch of new guys and when i sucked with the pump they were all giving me **** that they were better then me but i was the bigger guy and shrugged it off and stuck with the pump. Next time ill probably play with my semi one round and rip some faces off so they will stfu.

loneassasin- yeah i may take you up on going out there. Dustin hasnt opened up TE yet and the Murphs field here in town doesnt have the woods feel, its more like twigs and dead branches EVERYWHERE.

Halo Too
Ninja Carbon 45/4500

GearBag sale
Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 AM #18
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
I tried various way of play while i was out, aggressive, staying in one spot the whole game, moving inch by inch. Like most of you guys say i probably do just need a bit more experience with the pump aspect of it. One thing that was irritating though was that i was playing with a bunch of new guys and when i sucked with the pump they were all giving me **** that they were better then me but i was the bigger guy and shrugged it off and stuck with the pump. Next time ill probably play with my semi one round and rip some faces off so they will stfu.

loneassasin- yeah i may take you up on going out there. Dustin hasnt opened up TE yet and the Murphs field here in town doesnt have the woods feel, its more like twigs and dead branches EVERYWHERE.
I'd be glad to come up there and join you in proving that pump players can indeed take down semi players. It's much harder on some woodsball fields than speedball fields, but there's always a way to get it done. And yes, it's nice to use a semi in the case of ****-talkers. It sounds like the field characteristics are the problem, not necessarily your skills.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM #19
Scharfschutze91
I love Pump

The field I play at is woods, but it's very open woods. Like lots of bunkers and structures, but very few brush. But what I do is I just learn to sprint very fast, don't hesitate to move. If you feel you must, don't think, just do it. Stay low, crawl. If you are stuck in one spot just snap shooting against someone, have a buddy draw fire from the guy, and switch spots to get better angles. Happened last weekend to me, some dude pinned me and 2 others in the center, I sprint across the field and got a better angle and took him out. It's all about out smarting the other player, be fast, and stay low to the ground.
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.".
Scharfschutze91 is offline   Reply With Quote