Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 AM #1
OneShotSniper

T9/L96 Mod Project...Opinions Welcome

So I had the idea to mod an L96 airsoft rifle into a paintball gun kit. I originally planned to use an A5. But, I am a huge fan of Milsim and real look and feel so I didn't want to have a hopper on it. I looked at all kinds of ways to turn the A5 into a mag-fed marker, and almost decided to go ahead with it until I had a bright idea (IMO). Why not use a T9?

I mean it is already mag fed. It can already accommodate FS rounds, which was another idea I had for the mod. So all the real work would be done for me. The only thing I would have to do would be to fit the T9 into the body of the L96. I have seen this style mod accomplished with an A5 and a 98. So I'm pretty sure the T9 will fit.

I already have a T9 elite. I just purchase a used L96 off of ebay for $65 plus shipping. I have some plans drawn up on what it should look like when I am finished and I will try and get them up as soon as I can.

It would basically involve cutting out any un-needed parts on the inside of the body to fit the T9. Then, I would cut the L96 handle off from the edged of the thumb hole, to the opposite side of the trigger guard. This will allow me to us the T9 grip and mags. I would then have to cut some minor holes into the side of the L96 to access the safety, velocity adjustment, and the hopper plate(for use with the longbow mags). After cutting the thumb hole to fit snug against the back of the pistol grip, I would cut two thin slits on each side of the L96 body at the bottom near the pistol grip to use a velcro strip to securely attach the bottom of the stock to the T9 to maintain solidity throughout.

I would use 2 or 3 barrel extensions to allow the barrel to clear the body, and attach the T9 silencer. From there, attaching the Elite accessories like the bi-pod and scope.

I would like to get some feedback on this idea and see what others have to say about it. Pros and Cons. All constructive criticism is appreciated.

Question: One idea is that I will be able to interchange the T9 and the T8.1 since both use the FS rounds, and I can still use the T9 as the rifle was designed, while using the T8.1 in the L96. Am I wrong in assuming that both bodies are similarly sized and will be interchangeable?

Here's a picture of the L96 so that you can get an idea of the mods that will take place. I'll post pics later of the plans.
98 Custom Bolt Action L96 [Coming Soon]
98 Custom Nerf Longshot [Coming Soon]
TPX#0000124 (w/ 6 mags)
SA-8

eBayFeedback//PbNation Feedback
OneShotSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM #2
de-evoproject

yes the T9 pistol and T8.1 are SIMILARLY sized BUT! the T9 has a different back plate (for the stock attachment), a top rail, longer threaded barrel stock, and screw hole in the bottom (for attaching the front shroud). These differences could lead to problems with interchangeability especially if the body kit you fab up utilizes the mounting points, top rail or requires the pistol's profile to be just so tall or short.

also instead of velcro to secure them together, i would suggest, at minimum to use the screw hole for attaching the front shroud. I feel that would be much more secure and stable.

Last edited by de-evoproject : 01-27-2010 at 10:27 AM.
de-evoproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM #3
GenesisFactor
Fear the Engineer

you won't be able to gt it erfect nno matter what youdo. The back of the t9 extends out way after the handgrip while on the l96 it stops before it.

beyond that, i would say get a t9 st with the removable top rail and then go from there. even at best, itwill be close except for that one thing

can't wait to see pics

oh, use the screw hole for the front shrownthat is used for other t9 stuff. it will be secure. go to home depot to find out the thread and make your own long screw

I my gear changes as my needs do. Right now, i'm redoing my Tactical Paintball gear.

Play at Island Paintball Arena, Buy at Island Paintball Supplies!!!
GenesisFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:21 PM #4
OneShotSniper

Yea i've considered that part. From my research and guesstimation, it should just clear the adjustable cheek pad. If not, then I am willing to remove the pad.

Thanks for the input guys
TPX#0000124 (w/ 6 mags)
SA-8

Old 03-27-2010, 04:26 PM #5
OneShotSniper

Here's an update to the project...http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3340845
TPX#0000124 (w/ 6 mags)
SA-8