PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM #1
Nemo128

Nemo128 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Tap for Screw in Frame Stripped!

The screw hole in front of the trigger guard on my NME LE is stripped! I put it back together and the screw just turns now. What can I do about this??? Can I retap it and get a larger screw? ARGH!!!
Nemo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM #2
Hellbentexan
Vicious49 Fan Club #??

Hellbentexan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I dont see why not. Just make sure you only go one size bigger. Before you tap the hole back sure the head of the bolt fits in the cavity on the cover....I use a drop of Loctite on every screw and snug them to help prevent stripping them out.

Green Loctite Link http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...asp%3fcatID=10

Last edited by Hellbentexan : 03-15-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Hellbentexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:54 AM #3
Nemo128

Awesome. Where can I get this type of screw? I found set screws at Home Depot for other parts of the marker, but nothing like the 4 screws used on the body.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:53 PM #4
Hellbentexan
Vicious49 Fan Club #??

Best bet would be some type of electronics supplier..you may get lucky and find some at Radio Shack but i doubt it. If you look at the manual you will see that it calls for a 4-40(Stock) screw. Next size up would be a 6-32..You WILL NEED a 6-32 bottom tap seeing as the bolt hole doesnt go all the way through...if you are not worried about the cosmetics you could drill all the way through and use a reg 6-32 tap and be good.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 PM #5
Hellbentexan
Vicious49 Fan Club #??

This may help too http://www.fastener-express.com, but it you may have to buy more then you need.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 PM #6
Nemo128

This might be easily messed up, but I will get ahold of a tap as you described and try it. Hopefully I can get her all done before the weekend and get some playing in.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:41 PM #7
Hellbentexan
Vicious49 Fan Club #??

Well if you dont know someone who has one, and dont really feel comfortable doing it yourself you could try and take it to a local machine shop and they should be able to do if for you. I can give you more explicit details if you want on how to do it. Depending on where ya live you may find someone on here to do it for you. I would do it if you want to ship it.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM #8
Hellbentexan
Vicious49 Fan Club #??

You would need to buy a 7/64ths drill bit and a 6-32 Bottom Tap and of course a new 6-32 screw.(get the length off of the old screw.)

1. Take a small piece of wire, toothpick or something skinny enough to put in the hole, and drop it in the hole on the housing you want to measure how far down it goes.

2. Tape the drill bit to where it wont go past the measurement you took in step 1. (This prevents you from drilling through it.)

3. Put your housing in a vise with something in-between the housing and vise to prevent it from tearing up the frame. Drill the hole out with the drill bit stop right at or just before the tape. Try to keep it straight up and down as possible if your doing it free hand (ultimately you should use a drill press.) *You should not have to use a lot of pressure we are dealing with aluminum not steel.*

4. Take the 6-32 Bottom Tap and start threading your new hole. Again try and keep it straight. (Turn the tap two or three turns then back it out, clean it, and start tapping again.)

*Note* Take the 6-32 screw and see if it passes though the trigger guard if not you may have to drill through that also. Be careful not to drill through the adjusting screw for the guard.

Last edited by Hellbentexan : 03-15-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:24 PM #9
seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
seriouslysilly owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
seriouslysilly posts videos on PbNation
seriouslysilly has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If you have an Ace hardware or True Value, they can tap it for you also if you don't feel like doing it yourself.
seriouslysilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:36 PM #10
Nemo128

I actually remember this now cuz I've done it, but I don't have a vice and wouldn't want to risk messing it up without the proper tools. Gonna look for a local machine shop that can do it right.

Your Loctite link, I think you wanted to show me the thread adhesive. The link is for a spray. I know which one you meant though, that's a good idea. Prevent this from happening again. Thanks!