PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-04-2010, 03:02 PM #1
BMWTech2008

BMWTech2008 is playing at Living Legends III
inFact

http://infactvideo.com/

Watch the "here be dragons" video on the right at the bottom, apply the logic to religion
BMWTech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 PM #2
T-Vizz the 2nd
Liberty Or Death

Kind of like Penn and Teller without all the flair and cursing... Critical thinkers are not religious though so I don't think this will do much to convince anyone

"A prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
T-Vizz the 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 PM #3
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Vizz the 2nd View Post
Kind of like Penn and Teller without all the flair and cursing... Critical thinkers are not religious though so I don't think this will do much to convince anyone
Pretty broad brush strokes there. Many, many critical thinkers have been or are religious. Heck, a professor I had for O-Chem who is a scientist first and foremost and fully grasps critical thinking goes to church every Sunday.

InFact seems to not be very reliable of a source. It's like Penn & Teller (both in Bull****! and during their magic shows) - you only see what they choose to show you. It is right on a few topics but not others. I prefer to skip the opinions and go after primary literature or studies.

For instance, his thing on "Ancient Wisdom" is crap. He states that "Ancient Wisdom" gave us flat Earth theory which is absolutely bunk. Almost any civilization that spanned more than 100 miles of land knew that the Earth was round. The astrological and physiological understanding of the Ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese, Mayans, and other civilizations far surpassed anything we had in 900-1500 AD. During the Dark Ages, a lot of things were either forgotten or ignored only to be later "discovered" in the future. The statement that it's illogical to think that someone who lived in the past has a better understanding of "modern science" is not provable and certainly isn't factual.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos

Last edited by Crede777 : 03-11-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 AM #4
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Pretty broad brush strokes there. Many, many critical thinkers have been or are religious. Heck, a professor I had for O-Chem who is a scientist first and foremost and fully grasps critical thinking goes to church every Sunday.

InFact seems to not be very reliable of a source. It's like Penn & Teller (both in Bull****! and during their magic shows) - you only see what they choose to show you. It is right on a few topics but not others. I prefer to skip the opinions and go after primary literature or studies.

For instance, his thing on "Ancient Wisdom" is crap. He states that "Ancient Wisdom" gave us flat Earth theory which is absolutely bunk. Almost any civilization that spanned more than 100 miles of land knew that the Earth was round. The astrological and physiological understanding of the Ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese, Mayans, and other civilizations far surpassed anything we had in 900-1500 AD. During the Dark Ages, a lot of things were either forgotten or ignored only to be later "discovered" in the future. The statement that it's illogical to think that someone who lived in the past has a better understanding of "modern science" is not provable and certainly isn't factual.
wasn't religion one of the primary causes of the "dark" age?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:36 PM #5
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
wasn't religion one of the primary causes of the "dark" age?
yeah, but you can hardly blame the Bible for that religion, since it pretty much ignored everything in it.

but the vatican was also the cause of the italian banking scheme which brought about the renaissance and enlightenment, not to mention Thomist influence on Kant, so let's not emphasis the bad and ignore the good.

I find the "dark ages" to be something of a misnomer. It makes it sound like no scientific or philosophical advances were made during that whole time, which is retarded.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 AM #6
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
The PT vids have been refuted. I (and others) took many days, weeks and preparation to go through a couple of their anti-religion/anti-Christian videos. The purpose was to provide a critical review from the religious/Christian perspective and provide refutation as necessary.

That was presented here as well, and was mostly ignored, and the comments that were made were so "trolling", that it was obvious that no matter what evidences and presentations of the other side that comes of a discussion, the worldview and culture that is prevalent, wouldn't allow a real discussion.

I tried to stay on here for years (most of a decade, in fact), but even if someone were to have a paradigm shifting (note that i wasn't even talking about "conversion") from my presentation of my opinion, they wouldn't admit it here. why would they when this is so anonymous, and the prevailing culture has become and interesting paradox (in my opinion), that the more tolorant of religions, beliefs and moral standards, the less tolorant of the Christian paradigm, they become.
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 AM #7
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
yeah, but you can hardly blame the Bible for that religion, since it pretty much ignored everything in it.

but the vatican was also the cause of the italian banking scheme which brought about the renaissance and enlightenment, not to mention Thomist influence on Kant, so let's not emphasis the bad and ignore the good.

I find the "dark ages" to be something of a misnomer. It makes it sound like no scientific or philosophical advances were made during that whole time, which is retarded.
I never said anything about the bible, just religion. Not to mention, I think most people recognize that the dark ages was more of a "slowdown" time in scientific and philosophical advances not that it regressed them or that none occurred.