Community Focus

Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM #1
Mustang7302
has been here too long

Mustang7302 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Mustang7302 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Database Administrator (DBA)

Anyone have any insight on what course of action to take to become a DBA? I have spent alittle time on Google and found the MCDBA cert, which was then phased out and only covers SQL. I am looking for a cert program or some kind of college course work to take to pursue down the path of becomming a DBA and being familiar with SQL and Oracle as well as emerging technologies around them. Any one have any thoughts?

"Originally posted by Volucris: Computers are tools. Man is separated by how well he chooses his tool."

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: We went from Allan Sheppard, Gus Grissom, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Snooki."
Mustang7302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2010, 11:12 AM #2
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA beginner division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
Step one: Move to India
Step two: That's it.

The past 3 companies i've worked for the DBA's are offshore. I work for a datacenter NOC and work with our DBA's nightly. They're all offshore.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:27 PM #3
Jinjiro

The two companies I've worked for had database departments, so you don't necessarily have to move to India...yet.

I'd say just go to a good tech college that has a major or concentration in DBA. My school had it, but the one course I took on databases was more than enough.
Jinjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM #4
BlitzPA9

BlitzPA9 is a founding member
I took a couple of database courses during my Information Science undergraduate. I would say take at least once course to get a foundation of relational algebra and a theoretical perspective. However the majority of what you learn is going to be in trying things out on your own projects or on the job.
BlitzPA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM #5
cocopuffz

Get a foundation in SQL first, after you have those concepts focus on ORACLE. Oracle is the de-facto standard in the I.T. industry in America, I know someone who was making 150k in 2003 just optimizing databases, god knows what he's making now.

You also want to be familiar with Access if you have no background with relational databases, if you do you can skip this. Otherwise start with SQL for a foundation, and then move to Oracle.

"I've got a black heart... and I know how to tune it."
cocopuffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:58 PM #6
Mustang7302
has been here too long

Mustang7302 is a founding member
Mustang7302 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I should have mentioned I have three years of data mining and application development accessing databases experiance. I have worked with SQL, MySQL, and Oracle in all similar fassions using ASP, PHP, or VBA/ADODB. I have installed the database servers, configured schemas, built out tables, maintained user access, and touched on data backups.

I am just looking to put paper behind this experiance and probably learn a few things along the way (like optimization and disaster recovery). Getting a degree of certification would instantly double my income with another employer since I know I am getting well under paid for the work I do now.

Oh, and Microsoft Access is garbage when you're use to dealing SQL or Oracle.

"Originally posted by Volucris: Computers are tools. Man is separated by how well he chooses his tool."

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: We went from Allan Sheppard, Gus Grissom, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Snooki."

Last edited by Mustang7302 : 03-12-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Mustang7302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:48 PM #7
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA beginner division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
A friend of mine runs the Windows division of iPsoft (they're a huge tech firm working with 1/10 of every Fortune company). Next time I talk with him I'll ask him what they look for when hiring DBA's (they do all theirs in house since they run IT departments for various companies)
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote