PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-23-2010, 05:32 PM #43
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasWolfenstein View Post
Well then if it's so stupid here in then gfto I didn't ask you post here.
Yeah I'm just a big ol' meanie.

A paintball mortar is just an air cannon with a plate on the bottom. They've been around in various forms for about a decade now. They fell out of favor because nobody will let you blast grenades at people, and loose paintballs don't work well. In fact, I once tried to help Pacman take somebody's head off with a mortar fired grenade, while defending our base from Viper's players at Clash of the Titans many, many moons ago. That was when it donned on everybody exactly how powerful that was.

BlackAngel's balloon ammo has some potential. Check with your local promoter. I can see why some would, and some would not allow it. If you want to do scenario paintball a big favor, build one and test it thoroughly. Document everything, from ammo weight to velocity to barrel length, to apex height, to launch trajectory.

Building one isn't a big deal. Plans are all over, and Angel's is a robust design... but... do you even know if the events you attend will allow it? What if you want to travel a bit one day and hit up other promoters?

Empirical documentation is the only way to get widespread promoter acceptance. It is the only thing that can answer insurance questions. Personal anecdotes aren't empirical and don't cut it, that would be bad science. Pursue it with the proper scientific method, and you'll be the hero of many players, myself included. That's far more important, and can effect far more people, than just banging out a cannon.

Last edited by indy007 : 02-23-2010 at 05:35 PM.
indy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 PM #44
DasWolfenstein

I'm not talking about building one to shoot grenades, or loose paintballs just water balloons with a paintball water mix. Since you haven't really been much help I'm going to ignore the rest of your post.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM #45
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

i wouldnt waste my time mixing paintballs and water. it doesnt work that well. we use the washable tempera kids paint. you can buy it in powder form ( but its thin like water) or in premade which is some real nice stuff. like $16 a gallon . enough to make a few dozen 7 oz mortars.

http://1sspanzerkorps.com/
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 AM #46
anisebal

Re: Paintball Mortar

We played paintball this weekend and used up all of our compressed air. We will have to get a tank filled before we can test with "live" ammo (2" paint-filled balloons).
We were running late today so we didn't test the mortar until after dark
Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 AM #47
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisebal View Post
We played paintball this weekend and used up all of our compressed air. We will have to get a tank filled before we can test with "live" ammo (2" paint-filled balloons).
The point of your post was?
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM #48
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by anisebal View Post
Use a 3 inch barrel. the 2 inch ballons shoot very far but dont do much else. the 3 inch rounds make a very nice spalt and break very easily on impact.

you need a real good valve to launch a 3 inch though

Old 02-27-2010, 11:25 AM #49
DemoTeso82

DemoTeso82 is playing at Living Legends III
I built a 2 inch mortar and have had great success with it but not with live rounds I used it at oklahoma dday 2008 this is what mine looks like http://www.teamelitespecops.com/inde...sa=item;id=138
DemoTeso82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:32 PM #50
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoTeso82 View Post
I built a 2 inch mortar and have had great success with it but not with live rounds I used it at oklahoma dday 2008 this is what mine looks like http://www.teamelitespecops.com/inde...sa=item;id=138
the link doesnt let us view the pics. what did you use for ammo?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM #51
DemoTeso82

DemoTeso82 is playing at Living Legends III
we just used medical tubing filled with water for practice rounds and kids paint for live rounds but we had a problem bursting in the pipe
DemoTeso82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:49 PM #52
Mitchel01

They are allowing paintball grenades to be shot out of commercial launchers at 45+ degrees for Oklahoma DDay this year so obviously some insurance companies and fields don't have a problem with it.
Mitchel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 AM #53
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchel01 View Post
They are allowing paintball grenades to be shot out of commercial launchers at 45+ degrees for Oklahoma DDay this year so obviously some insurance companies and fields don't have a problem with it.
DDay isn't exactly know for it's safety practices.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:41 AM #54
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchel01 View Post
i wonder if they will allow paint balloon mortar rounds. im planning on going to DDAY IN 11

Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM #55
Mitchel01

That field/scenario that somehow had a wooden dowel go through a tank window isn't has ver safe procedures either. Not to mention the fact they didn't catch the culprit and influenced every field to ban nerf rockets.
Mitchel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM #56
PAINTBALL-N-FREAK
Chris m.

i dont shoot nerfs or grenades out of mine only paintball sabo rounds its safer in my opinion
Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 PM #57
camokid58

camokid58 helped look for balloons
camokid58 is playing at Living Legends III
camokid58 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
camokid58 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
We arent out to hurt anyone. i have taken the thing to numerous parks and tested it. i do weigh each round on a digital scale.The velocity it fires at and falls at is pretty low. I dont have exact figures yet but it wouldnt hurt you.Its very delicate and the round will also always break when it hits something.
like i said we have scored direct hits and no one was even slightly injured.
i guess i could get 100 people to huddle together and drop pint mortars on them all day to prove my point lol.

if you make a 6 oz water balloon youll see its not big at all and just falling a little from the sky will not have a high velocity at all. not with the system i use to launch it.

now if you used some super valve to launch it a half mile up then you might have a problem
the 80 yards we get out of it doesnt allow it to attain a high velocity when it comes down.ill have to get one of those model rocket altti meters and determine exactly how high it goes. then i can figure out the velocity it falls at

Lets keep in mind water ballons are meant to throw at people. and these are filled alot smaller thanthe average wewater ballon. and the velocity is nothing like shooting a nerf rocket.

For example i tried to make a "heavy mortar" it used a 4 inch barrel with kfc containers as a sabot lol. the round was so heavy it went about 4 feet up and got me wet. no i wasnt planning on dropping a 2 lb water ballon on anyone i was just tinkering. If there where rounds that big in the air id be digging a foxhole real quick lol
haha as soon as I saw the title of this thread I thought of you Adam I remember ION 08 when we were using that one on the beach when all of our front lines pulled back behind us and we had to fight to get them back up in front of us. Then the ref pulled it off the field cause it wasnt crono'd lol. I remember something abou hitting that poor kid square in the face.
I cant wait for ION 2010! And if you are confused as to who this is, it's Greg (the one who camped with you guys the past 2 years and shot the VSC Phantom)
camokid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:17 PM #58
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by camokid58 View Post
haha as soon as I saw the title of this thread I thought of you Adam I remember ION 08 when we were using that one on the beach when all of our front lines pulled back behind us and we had to fight to get them back up in front of us. Then the ref pulled it off the field cause it wasnt crono'd lol. I remember something abou hitting that poor kid square in the face.
I cant wait for ION 2010! And if you are confused as to who this is, it's Greg (the one who camped with you guys the past 2 years and shot the VSC Phantom)

i know who you are man. Make sure you jon our Unit again for ION. your a seasoned vet now we will have to let you get some tank time if you want

Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 AM #59
money0107
AwesumEric

money0107 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
money0107 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
BlackAngelSS, I have been working on a mortar and was wondering how you built up and released the air.
money0107 is offline   Reply With Quote