PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 PM #22
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
i play WW2 games. shooting is the preferred method of elimination. but other ordanance is very fun. plus the mortar rounds are very cheap. i can make 50 for the price of one tippmann grenade or 60 paintballs
I don't dispute that one bit. It's a good idea, it's just not for me. If eliminations were worth points, I'd pursue it. My particular skill sets tell me it's a better idea to make the other teams lives miserable with all my toys, and they score less points because of it.

It's just part of scenario play. You can shoot out 100 guys and accomplish... absolutely nothing, because the 1 guy you missed just strolled on past and completed a mission. Best to make them blind, deaf, and dumb and not be able to complete any missions.
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 PM #23
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy007 View Post
I don't dispute that one bit. It's a good idea, it's just not for me. If eliminations were worth points, I'd pursue it. My particular skill sets tell me it's a better idea to make the other teams lives miserable with all my toys, and they score less points because of it.

It's just part of scenario play. You can shoot out 100 guys and accomplish... absolutely nothing, because the 1 guy you missed just strolled on past and completed a mission. Best to make them blind, deaf, and dumb and not be able to complete any missions.
Like you said everyone plays their own way. im a firm believer that if you take out alot of their guys they will be less likley to accomplish anything,and will loose ground and points.

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:56 PM #24
Spartan31

Spartan31 donated to help Peyton Trent
Spartan31 is playing at Living Legends III
Spartan31 is playing at Living Legends VI
Quote:
I must be high, I swore I saw that.

Terminal velocity and time to accelerate. Drop a balloon from a 1 story roof. Now drop it from a 10 story roof. Drop it onto a pressure pad. That'll show you the difference very specifically.

He said he used it at ION not DDay. And terminal velocity only applies it it has a chance to reach it. Going up in the air will reduce the velocity (obv.) and then coming back down it will reaccelerate.
Even though there is more total energy output due to mass, there is more of a surface area of it using when in contact. more surface area lessens the amount of energy used per unt of area.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM #25
Spartan31

Hey Indy, I saw your stuff on the player tracker. looks cool. The general would need an internet connection right? Also, Is Challenge Park pre programmed? It would be a good idea for LL3. Also, would it be practical for a game of that size, and will it work on pretty much every phone?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 PM #26
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan31 View Post
Hey Indy, I saw your stuff on the player tracker. looks cool. The general would need an internet connection right? Also, Is Challenge Park pre programmed? It would be a good idea for LL3. Also, would it be practical for a game of that size, and will it work on pretty much every phone?
It's there and functional... but no objectives or boundaries have been laid down. I've never been, and nobody has sent in gps data.

If you're on Taz's side, talk to him. He contacted me about it already and asked me to add the field. He will need a netbook, or laptop & cell modem, or laptop & tethered cell phone if he doesn't already have one. I don't know about power at the bunkers, so if you don't have it, somebody needs to bring their generator, or get some USB battery buddies. A battery buddy is generally good for 6+ hours, costs less than a case of paint, and is re-usable damn near forever.

Alternative you could use a car battery and inverter if it's what you have laying around. Kind of a strength behind it, you can channel McGuyver and provide power in any way you can think of. A car battery @ 50aH with an inverter running 12v, converting to 75w @ 110v should last over 8 hours. I'd go with the battery buddies before that option though.

A general CAN use their smart phone instead of a laptop, but you still have to keep it charged, and I'd recommend a nice phone with a touch screen like an iPhone, PalmPre, something like that. A phone without a touch screen will have a harder time using the map quickly.

Last edited by indy007 : 02-19-2010 at 04:59 PM.
indy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 PM #27
Spartan31

so basically its entirely too much hassle to try and pull together cuz not everybody has a smartphone they can tether to a laptop that couldnt be kept charged without an additional device...
It's got promise... but for now and they way the games are for right now its prolly not worth it.

Excellent program though. I'm sure a tech savvy game would be reall awesome, or a really large scal low player game... lots of land area with very specific objectives. good luck.
And ill talk to taz as well to see what hes up to . Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM #28
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

lol you need all that stuff for your gps system and you are telling me a mortar os too much to carry

Quote:
It's there and functional... but no objectives or boundaries have been laid down. I've never been, and nobody has sent in gps data.

If you're on Taz's side, talk to him. He contacted me about it already and asked me to add the field. He will need a netbook, or laptop & cell modem, or laptop & tethered cell phone if he doesn't already have one. I don't know about power at the bunkers, so if you don't have it, somebody needs to bring their generator, or get some USB battery buddies. A battery buddy is generally good for 6+ hours, costs less than a case of paint, and is re-usable damn near forever.

Alternative you could use a car battery and inverter if it's what you have laying around. Kind of a strength behind it, you can channel McGuyver and provide power in any way you can think of. A car battery @ 50aH with an inverter running 12v, converting to 75w @ 110v should last over 8 hours. I'd go with the battery buddies before that option though.

A general CAN use their smart phone instead of a laptop, but you still have to keep it charged, and I'd recommend a nice phone with a touch screen like an iPhone, PalmPre, something like that. A phone without a touch screen will have a harder time using the map quickly.

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 PM #29
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
lol you need all that stuff for your gps system and you are telling me a mortar os too much to carry
Lol a car battery + other junk = about 25 pounds of crap I may not even know how to use. But a 20 lbs big *** gun that shoots big *** rounds I can do. BlackAngel can you pm some specs on your mortar? Or some basic one's I plan on building one over the summer. While I'm building that along with some other toys like 5 of my friends are building the warthog from halo.

I'm going to kill someone if I have to gun I will not sacrifice my mortar for a slow moving ride when I can stay still guarded and bombard the other team.

EDIT: They are going to make it about 2 times bigger.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:37 AM #30
AmazingBilldo
I..... win?

when i first read this thread, i started to get a little pissy about people knocking the mortar. it is a good idea, simply for the distraction to opposing players.

one thing i really cant tolerate, tho, is the potential to injure someone, and indy's questions do bring up a few valid points that i have been thinking about myself.

Black angel, you guys should take the time to measure and weigh your payloads and do some velocity and range checks, and time the rounds accurately. Its not like you wont have fun doing it and there is the potential it could do good in the long run for the inclusion of these devices.

Indy, checking out your site, you have some interesting things of your own that seem pretty top notch.
AmazingBilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 AM #31
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

We arent out to hurt anyone. i have taken the thing to numerous parks and tested it. i do weigh each round on a digital scale.The velocity it fires at and falls at is pretty low. I dont have exact figures yet but it wouldnt hurt you.Its very delicate and the round will also always break when it hits something.
like i said we have scored direct hits and no one was even slightly injured.
i guess i could get 100 people to huddle together and drop pint mortars on them all day to prove my point lol.

if you make a 6 oz water balloon youll see its not big at all and just falling a little from the sky will not have a high velocity at all. not with the system i use to launch it.

now if you used some super valve to launch it a half mile up then you might have a problem
the 80 yards we get out of it doesnt allow it to attain a high velocity when it comes down.ill have to get one of those model rocket altti meters and determine exactly how high it goes. then i can figure out the velocity it falls at

Lets keep in mind water ballons are meant to throw at people. and these are filled alot smaller thanthe average wewater ballon. and the velocity is nothing like shooting a nerf rocket.

For example i tried to make a "heavy mortar" it used a 4 inch barrel with kfc containers as a sabot lol. the round was so heavy it went about 4 feet up and got me wet. no i wasnt planning on dropping a 2 lb water ballon on anyone i was just tinkering. If there where rounds that big in the air id be digging a foxhole real quick lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingBilldo View Post
when i first read this thread, i started to get a little pissy about people knocking the mortar. it is a good idea, simply for the distraction to opposing players.

one thing i really cant tolerate, tho, is the potential to injure someone, and indy's questions do bring up a few valid points that i have been thinking about myself.

Black angel, you guys should take the time to measure and weigh your payloads and do some velocity and range checks, and time the rounds accurately. Its not like you wont have fun doing it and there is the potential it could do good in the long run for the inclusion of these devices.

Indy, checking out your site, you have some interesting things of your own that seem pretty top notch.

1.SS Panzer Korps

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 02-20-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM #32
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
the mortar can have it's purpose in paintball. I'm investigating building one myself. The round is what I've had an issue with. Designing the proper sabot.

Indy has his own GPS tracking thread. Throw your comments and criticism in that thread please. I'm not a mod, but I think this thread can benefit those who want to work on mortar systems and would best serve if it stayed open.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 AM #33
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
You can carry a mortar, and bucket of balloons, but you can't carry a phone? Silly, but okay. Sounds like the people afraid of losing their phone on the field... which means they manage to lose a tracking device that's turned on.

A general needs... a smart phone, or a < 2 pound laptop, that never leaves his bunker. Many people already have this stuff, use it every day. It's not a single use item like a flamethrower, mine, or mortar taking up garage space. That's one of the major benefits.

If fields ever bothered to upgrade their infrastructure and drop in some power at a base they use multiple times per year, generals wouldn't have to bring their own generators (popular solution). Battery buddies or a car battery is an alternative to that. People just pick whatever works best for them. I wouldn't recommend the car battery, but it would work in primitive circumstances.

In the near future, smart promoters will be running their games from their own laptops, so a general won't have to bring anything. It's just part of the normal, free system they use to help them run their side. It's been talked about for 10+ years now, but apparently my little crew are the only people willing to build the software end (and none of us have even met in person).

As a future project, I would like to put your mortar design on a small robotic platform. Send it a simple command, and let it drive there by itself and lay down a barrage remotely. A general could run 5 of the things at once. No crew required except to reload it. With a cheap transponder, you could even make it follow a certain player around the field like the MULE concept. That would integrate really well with everything else I'm doing... at least at fields that allow artillery. Figure loaded, with air, and reloading gear.. maybe a 30 pound payload. That's doable at a pretty low price.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 AM #34
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebski View Post
the mortar can have it's purpose in paintball. I'm investigating building one myself. The round is what I've had an issue with. Designing the proper sabot.

Indy has his own GPS tracking thread. Throw your comments and criticism in that thread please. I'm not a mod, but I think this thread can benefit those who want to work on mortar systems and would best serve if it stayed open.
Steve, I think I can actually tie both of the ideas together. It just needs a robotic platform in between like I said above. If anybody is up for that, more than happy to work with them on it.

The safety concerns can be resolved through empirical testing, nothing special. I point them out, because somebody needs to, but I really, really hope it passes. I want point & click artillery.

Last edited by indy007 : 02-20-2010 at 10:38 AM.
indy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 AM #35
Spartan31

That would be awesome. most likely will need its own ref too. sounds like a fun idea.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:52 PM #36
DasWolfenstein

Yea I dont like the robotic platform why? Because if any paint gets on the motherboard or any electronic part on it it's screwed. Yeah sure you can cover it in whatever but what if it over heats? Fans are exposed an if a player hits that you know what's going to happen. An liquid cooling needs a lot of power to run an operate even if you could power it how long could it last? Better yet how can you make it smaller? It's going to have a bulky power supply if you liquid cool and a fan is exposed so a player can hit it so I wouldn't build one. But this guy did it's the bottom video.
http://www.traumahead.com/woodsball.php
Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 AM #37
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasWolfenstein View Post
Yea I dont like the robotic platform why? Because if any paint gets on the motherboard or any electronic part on it it's screwed. Yeah sure you can cover it in whatever but what if it over heats? Fans are exposed an if a player hits that you know what's going to happen. An liquid cooling needs a lot of power to run an operate even if you could power it how long could it last? Better yet how can you make it smaller? It's going to have a bulky power supply if you liquid cool and a fan is exposed so a player can hit it so I wouldn't build one. But this guy did it's the bottom video.
http://www.traumahead.com/woodsball.php
That's just an R/C car with a gun. Been done, dozens of times.

I have access to a robot platform that will move 300 pounds for 8 hours, and is durable enough for a real battlefield, not just a little paintball field.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:43 PM #38
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
That's just an R/C car with a gun. Been done, dozens of times.

I have access to a robot platform that will move 300 pounds for 8 hours, and is durable enough for a real battlefield, not just a little paintball field.
Good for you but can it take a beating from players? Someone is bound to damage or break your rc car.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 PM #39
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Good for you but can it take a beating from players? Someone is bound to damage or break your rc car.
When I said battlefield, I meant a real one. Real bullets, real mortars. Paintball isn't that rough. It's mil-sim too. 21st century, net-centric warfare.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM #40
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
When I said battlefield, I meant a real one. Real bullets, real mortars. Paintball isn't that rough. It's mil-sim too. 21st century, net-centric warfare.
Okay so if I got a gun (any gun) an start shooting the hell out of your rc it will be fine?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 AM #41
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Okay so if I got a gun (any gun) an start shooting the hell out of your rc it will be fine?
Sometimes I wonder why I post on this forum at all. It's like concentrated stupid, far worse than all the rest.

.50cal, a big nitro express round, that'll stop it. That'll stop a car too. Nothing on a paintball field is even remotely as dangerous.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM #42
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder why I post on this forum at all. It's like concentrated stupid, far worse than all the rest.

.50cal, a big nitro express round, that'll stop it. That'll stop a car too. Nothing on a paintball field is even remotely as dangerous.
Well then if it's so stupid here in then gfto I didn't ask you post here.