PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM #1
Soldier989

has been a member for 10 years
Just got my Rainmaker

After a long time searching for a Rainmaker I managed to find one. I was reading a thread earlier where someone said that they arent very rare, that may be but they are hard to find as a buyer.

I prolly overpaid (since this was the first I saw in a long time I dont mind) for it, I spent $150 shipped. Its in great shape, it was said to be NIB, but It isnt. The body though is in prestine shape.

I gas'd it up and it fires great. At first I thought there was a problem cuz air was leaking down the barrel, but I learned it needed to be fired a couple times. I chrono'd it and its dialed in around 280.

First impressions -

BAD
1. No on/off switch. It would be easy to put one in and its not a big deal since the stock board shuts off after 5 mins, but wtf mate.
2. This gun seems extremely complicated to take apart, I hope theres a how to guide on here somewhere
3. A pain just to get to the board
4. 9BPS
5. Gas hog (which I knew and am completely cool with)
6. Loud (I love it!)
7. Zipped tied solenoid and battery (come on, really?)

Good
1. I was very impressed with the stock trigger. I collect old electro's and this actually had one of the better stock triggers I've felt!
2. Easiest trigger job ever. (just put a peaice of foam rubber on the button and the trigger pull is light and short.)
3. Its actually pretty light. I pulled my Angel out to feel the weight difference and it makes me think my Angel needs a diet.
4. Solid feel to the gun, does not feel cheap at all.
5. Weight balance
6. No visible moving parts

If you have any information on what I got here, lemme know. I definately think Id like a newer board, so if you know someone who has one really cheap let me know. Any other suggestions, drop them off!

The Box, with a price tag of $429.95

Bottom of the box

Contents of Box (I had already switched sides for the macroline, Im a lefty)

Looking down the side

With the shroud off

The Board

Its amazing how the game and markers have changed since even I started playing.

Want old school electros. PM me, anything before 04 is considered.

Last edited by Soldier989 : 02-12-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Soldier989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2010, 06:12 PM #2
Excaka
ridikyələs

Excaka has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Excaka has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dude sweet. had one back in 2001 they are solid
Excaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:04 AM #3
melkson
Raptor Guru

oh, you did NOT just come in here asking for RM advice....

PAGING SCOTT!!!

kidding... they are great markers, i've had a few in my day, and if I was ever going to get and KEEP and electro, it would be a RM.

Contact mad marty about having the internals modded, get a universal t-board, MAC mount, gut the reg and mount an external. Thats a start for upgrading a RM.
melkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM #4
Soldier989

Thanks for the info so far guys! Where abouts can I find this t-board and mac mount? I've searched with no results.

Its amazing how the game and markers have changed since even I started playing.

Want old school electros. PM me, anything before 04 is considered.
Soldier989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:16 PM #5
theVicious1

tboard is by www.scenariodreams.com
theVicious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM #6
blackrain

blackrain is a founding member
blackrain supports Bob Gurnsey
I cut my teeth on a Rainmaker many yrs ago. First electro I ever owned. Now I have a NIB sitting at the house waiting for me to get back from Japan.

Eventually I'll be able to give feed back on the cocker valve mod.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3284304

You can also freak the Barrel which is a perfect platform:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3298628

So many things to do to this gun. Alot of us were shooting these when loud markers sucked and so did QEVs. Now everyone wants loud guns and QEVs are the next best things on cockers next to ice cream.

Any help you need please feel free to PM me. If you are going to mod first suggestion,mac mount and Angel Frame. Then start on internals and board. Get the easy stuff out of the way first. Then go into gutting the reg. My local machinest will be making reg cap for me soon,unless someone here knows a better alternative. I've been out of the loop for a while.

Later,
Blackrain
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM #7
MondoMor

Any chance your local machinist would make new Mac mounts too? I like the PTP one I have and would like to have another one made (although with a third 1/8" NPT port out the front).

(Old Feedback)
MondoMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM #8
blackrain

blackrain is a founding member
blackrain supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoMor View Post
Any chance your local machinist would make new Mac mounts too? I like the PTP one I have and would like to have another one made (although with a third 1/8" NPT port out the front).
Let me get back from Japan and I'll talk with him. Maybe I'll do a run of about 50. It won't be till around mid March when I get home. Post me a picture of the PTP one. I used to have one but it's been a few yrs. Maybe I can get the plans from All American Dan. He was the originator of that Mac Mount and contracted PTP to do the work.

I also designed another style mac mount with frame adapter along with another guy. I'll see if he still has the plans.
Later,
Blackrain
Old 05-09-2010, 08:39 AM #9
SPARTAN II
Project Spartan II

Your best bet for a new board is a run or custom boards that where made to work with any gun after some programming, to my knowledge, there were never any after market boards designed specifically for the rainmaker.

The next best upgrades you can do is to put autococker lpr on there along with a Mac mount...if you can find one. The Rainmaker owners group used to be a very active and organized group, but I know that most of those members have moved past paintball (Like Kev) or only other guns mostly (like scott)

If you can find a good mac mount, they also usually provide a area that you can mount a automag asa for a regulator or a fore grip/gas threw, then you can either use that as a vertical grip/gas threw or replace the stock reg with a after market and take the guts out of the stock reg and basically use that space as a expansion chamber behind your valve to allow the gun to run at a lower pressure/higher volume. There are also plastic/delrin bolts you can find that allow less maintainable and higher flow....valves are out there as well.

The rainmaker is actually VERY upgradeable...its just finding those upgrades that can be hard!

Good luck!

DCF-1 Viking and FreeFlow Millennium Autococker

If you need to get to me PM me at my original screen name linked above...Spartan X. They unbanned my old account, so I'm moving back to it.
SPARTAN II is offline   Reply With Quote