PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM #1
S.S.MinnowJohnson
Reaper

Strange HPA set-up help

wasnt quite sure which topic i should post this in but i recently purchased a Dark Angel LCD(used but in fantastic shape) and it seems to have come with a very strange cradle/drop/air hose set-up. i've never seen anything quite like it in a sense that it uses a braided hose with an actual male/female connection between reg and tank(pardon my ignorance with incorrect terms). its a pain because i cant unscrew the tank and instead is held in place by a brace secured by two allen screws. any suggestions as to what this might be??? is this a good set-up or is there better?

CORRECTION:

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/a...00211-1217.jpg

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/a...00211-1216.jpg

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/a...00211-1217.jpg

Last edited by S.S.MinnowJohnson : 02-11-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: incorrect links posted before, correct ones now.
S.S.MinnowJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 PM #2
Sight Unseen
Just call me Sight

It comes up "page not found" for me.
Sight Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 PM #3
S.S.MinnowJohnson
Reaper

sorry, kind of new to the forum scene...let's try this.

Last edited by S.S.MinnowJohnson : 02-11-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: too large
Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM #4
S.S.MinnowJohnson
Reaper

sorry they are so large.

Last edited by S.S.MinnowJohnson : 02-11-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: too large
Old 02-11-2010, 12:19 PM #5
Khandra
Iss Go'n Rain!

Same for me. Chances are it's an adjustable reg set up, much like the old sp maxflo or something of the sort. Another good Example is the current maxflos on the Luxes where instead of screwing the tank with a reg already on it into the asa, you do is screw the unregulated bottle onto the maxflo which doubles as a tank regulator and an asa. Probably yours is outdated and needs rebuilt or replaced by a more current, smaller setup.

Clean Gloss black magno'd a1 f/s/t

Shocktech Burglarized

Right Attitude Paintball- It's all about the Right Attitude.
Khandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:23 PM #6
Winnebago
Angels 4 Life

has been a member for 10 years
very old school quick disconnect at the reg. old school adjustable nitroduck reg (looks like an old nitroduck i had... could be an air america reg if not) with a cradle.

if it's putting out 850psi, then you can keep it.

may want to replace the crade, tank, braided hose and QD fitting and go rail, on/off asa, screw in tank, macroline, and 90 degree swivel fitting.
WTB: Angels + Jerseys
Angel Rescue! (aka WTB Broken Angels)
Old PBN Feedback
Winnebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM #7
Khandra
Iss Go'n Rain!

Oh holy crap I see it now. Just looks like a regular tank reg and hp reg for the gun fitted with pneumatics fittings instead of macro and fittings

Clean Gloss black magno'd a1 f/s/t

Shocktech Burglarized

Right Attitude Paintball- It's all about the Right Attitude.
Khandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 PM #8
S.S.MinnowJohnson
Reaper

thanks for the replies...i haven't played in quite some time because i had to switch to the weekend shift at work so i really dont know whats out there anymore. the guy i bought this from either took really good care of it or didnt shoot it much. shot counter says 23623. given that its 10 years old its shot less than one case of paint per year. anyway...before he sold it, it has clearly been serviced(by evidence of fresh plumbing tape and new funky grease smell). wonder why it wasnt changed as well. the tank is Nitro Duck and its manufacture date is 99

Last edited by S.S.MinnowJohnson : 02-11-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo :(
Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM #9
Element Paintball
is now FACTOR PAINTBALL

Annual Supporting Member
Element Paintball is a Supporting Member
Element Paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Element Paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
That tank is older than dirt. I honestly don't think its worth what it would even cost to mail it. Does it have a current hydro? If its from 99, that would most likely make it a 3 year tank, meaning that its about 8 years past due. I have to wonder if you sent a tank in thats that old, if they would even hydro it, or just laugh at you.
Element Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 PM #10
S.S.MinnowJohnson
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebago View Post
very old school quick disconnect at the reg. old school adjustable nitroduck reg (looks like an old nitroduck i had... could be an air america reg if not) with a cradle.

if it's putting out 850psi, then you can keep it.

may want to replace the crade, tank, braided hose and QD fitting and go rail, on/off asa, screw in tank, macroline, and 90 degree swivel fitting.
its actually a Gen. X-2 reg. if that helps.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM #11
S.S.MinnowJohnson
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Paintball View Post
That tank is older than dirt. I honestly don't think its worth what it would even cost to mail it. Does it have a current hydro? If its from 99, that would most likely make it a 3 year tank, meaning that its about 8 years past due. I have to wonder if you sent a tank in thats that old, if they would even hydro it, or just laugh at you.
it has a hydro date 4/09 tested up to 7500 psi.(at least i think, that part got scratched off somehow, clearly reads 7 as the first number though) im not exactly sure how hydro testing works, i know that they overfill them though. still has another 2 years or so left in her. hey, ill play with what i've got.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:57 PM #12
Winnebago
Angels 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.MinnowJohnson View Post
its actually a Gen. X-2 reg. if that helps.
that's it. that's the reg on the gun. i was referring to the tank reg.

you'll want to google the DOT-E number on the tank and see how long the hydro is good for. could be 3 years. could be 5. also if it's a fiberglass tank, it's good for 12 years. otherwise, CF is 15.

anyways.... you need a cradle with that nitroduck reg. if you try to unscrew it (with no air in the bottle), you'll just wind up unscrewing the bottle from the reg (although it's probably loctited on).

you can try replacing the nitroduck reg with a screw-in reg but i want to say the nitroduck systems had a smaller diameter screw (the long screw on the reg that the bottle screws on to) than current regs.

shot counter doesn't mean anything. that can be reset.

personally i would try to find a smaller cradle... or just rock it as is and kill kids with their newer guns.
WTB: Angels + Jerseys
Angel Rescue! (aka WTB Broken Angels)
Old PBN Feedback
Winnebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM #13
gain_man
Tuefel Hunden

Annual Supporting Member
gain_man is a founding member
The connector in the first pic is called a "pro connect". very common around 99-02 or so, when adjustable regs on tanks were commonplace and this was a way to disconect your air source from the gun without turning out the adjuster screw everytime to degass.

Old Feedback
gain_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 PM #14
BillyBob79

I used to have an adjustable Air America reg and while it was the most consistent tank reg I've ever owned/used/seen I didn't like the fact that it was more or less a permanent fixture on the gun, not to mention it was on a 114ci tank. I'd suggest buying a Ninja tank and reg, then turn around and sell your current reg to someone who owns an AutoMag. AutoMag owners are the people most likely to be searching for a setup like that. Another option is to buy an on/off valve like this one http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_21&produc ts_id=116 It won't make it any easier to remove the tank but at least you shouldn't have to drain it before removal. Or simply try replacing the tank reg with something else as has been suggested already.

I guess I stand corrected. If I understand what gain main said then that air line more or less has a slide check built in and you wouldn't need the on/off valve that I linked to.

Last edited by BillyBob79 : 02-11-2010 at 01:48 PM.
BillyBob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM #15
S.S.MinnowJohnson
Reaper

its a carbon fiber tank with the "tuff skin" resin. found this site and if im not mistaken the hydro dates have been changed from 3 year to 5 year incriments. according to this site(link below), i have a 15 year bottle life and since its last test was in 09 its good until the end of the bottle's life time..actually itll have one more year left, but ill retire it after then.

http://carolinapaintballers.com/index.php?showtopic=614
Shocktech bolt
KAPP breech pin, low rise feedneck, volumizer
Fat Boy Grips
Smart Parts All American Barrel
Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 AM #16
poopresearch
Dr Nick

poopresearch plays in the PSP
poopresearch supports DLX Technology
Quote:
No!! Have one on my LCD angel and it works fine though I modified the drop forward to make it less crazy. My is currently up to hydro and I even have the same proconnect on it. Back in the late 90's it was one of the best tanks you could have. I bought mine back when I bought my LED angel, both new...

Mod that drop forward to your liking and use it as long as you can. Good little tank.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 PM #17
Methodcaptain

I actually think that was a nitro duck "Mega reg". I remember those being out around 2002. The Cradle is the stock nitro duck cradle as well. It can be set up for the tank to be centered, or offset to the left or the right.

The fitting is a pro-connect. It allows you to keep the air system on, and disconnect the fitting to work on the gun. They did work as advertised, but were bulky and restricted flow.

Nitro duck didn't make bad systems back in the day. The only thing that bothered me was the lack of user-serviceable parts.

WANTED: Blue angel A1 grips
Wanted - Angel A1/SB/AR:K parts and markers broken or working
Methodcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote