PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 PM #1
b_schiffer

b_schiffer supports Team VICIOUS
Light or Heavy rammer?

Alright I'm super new to the Impulse guns, I came across one really cheap and couldnt pass it up, Most guns I've had that had rammers could be helped by decreasing the weight of it...

Now I'm seeing that Impulses have brass ones that are even heavier...

Can anyone explain this please?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 PM #2
msonic
one case one kill

Annual Supporting Member
msonic is a Mega Moderator
msonic is a Supporting Member
msonic is BST Legit
msonic donated to help Peyton Trent
msonic is playing at Living Legends VII
msonic is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
msonic is Immortal
Bad engineering design. Lighter is better, but Stainless Steel is the best.

Look for a Midweight SS hammer. Either a Rathole or a New Designz.

The brass ones flake and chip over time... bad juju...
msonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 AM #3
marcusg (Banned)

smartpartsparts.com has the ndz hammer set you can get for 22 bucks
marcusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 AM #4
b_schiffer

b_schiffer supports Team VICIOUS
I don't think it would be too wise to order from them right now haha.

Well it seems my gun has the aluminum stock one and it seems to be one of the lightest ones, maybe after investing in a new valve and spring the stocks the way to stay.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:35 AM #5
Umami
Paragon

Umami supports our troops
Actually the idiots in the PE forums are starting to discover that you can achieve a smoother, more efficient shot with a heavier rammer. Part of the reason they've got a weight system on the way for the Cure3. Borg RX stock rammers are brass, they updated them with SS, nearly as heavy, and they're some of the smoothest, most efficient poppets available.

It's actually been known for a while, a slightly heavier rammer usually gets a smoother shot believe it or not. Just ask the guys with autocockers, most of them still run the big ol' stock SS hammers, or even trading them out for brass for a reason. And trust me, those guys would be the first to make their own out of Al if it improved things.

and smartpartsparts.com is not affiliated with SP.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 PM #6
J. Thompson #5150
Now with 20% more AWESOME

J. Thompson #5150 donated to help Peyton Trent
J. Thompson #5150 supports Team VICIOUS
Strangely enough, I was talking with ASP recently about making a metal-core delrin hammer, as I wanted to test one out to see how it would perform. If anybody wanted to try it out, I'd bet they'd make one up.
J. Thompson #5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:09 PM #7
marcusg (Banned)

smartpartsparts.com is a seperate company from SP who have a huge stock of parts and accessories for all SP guns. they are not owned by them and are doing orders unlike smart parts themselves. and im sure if you call ndz and ask tony if they have any that he would be more than willing to sell to you
marcusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:24 PM #8
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
there's been a ton of testing on imps and its been pretty conclusive that the heavy brass hammers are bad. i think its a big difference from egos, rxs, and cockers because the imps hammer is huge in comparison.
mostly i would stay away from brass like sonic said they are too soft and will chip and be a problem.

ive used tons of different hammers and personally the lighter the better usually works best for me. there was a rule of the setup being a certain amount and some people still swear by that, but if you go lighter you will lose a bit of efficiency. i like the smoother faster shot of super lightweight personally and dont care about a bit less air.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote