PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:19 PM #1954
Hawke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain A v2.0 View Post
In my opinion, it is easily justifiable. If I needed a 4th grade school teacher I bet I could have a boat load of them by the end of the week. If I needed a 1,500 yard RB or 4,000 yard QB that is going to take a little while longer.
Well it's obviously far more practical to become a teacher than a professional athlete. I just can't ethically justify athletes making millions in a single year while laborers struggle to make 30k and live a comfortable life.
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2010, 03:25 PM #1955
Captain A v2.0
Whatevs

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Captain A v2.0 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Captain A v2.0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
That's because very few people have what it takes to be a professional athlete.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:33 PM #1956
Hawke

Yes, but I just see their respective value to society as far lower than that of many many jobs. I obviously know that isn't how pay is determined. It's just how I see it all.

That being said, I love football regardless of the overpaid criminals* they are

*used to avoid infraction
Old 02-06-2010, 06:44 PM #1957
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
Because salaries that athletes make is not justifiable for the work the do, IMO.
Quote:
In my opinion, it is easily justifiable. If I needed a 4th grade school teacher I bet I could have a boat load of them by the end of the week. If I needed a 1,500 yard RB or 4,000 yard QB that is going to take a little while longer.
This.

Quote:
Yes, but I just see their respective value to society as far lower than that of many many jobs. I obviously know that isn't how pay is determined. It's just how I see it all.

That being said, I love football regardless of the overpaid criminals* they are

*used to avoid infraction

They are that valuable though. Otherwise we wouldnt pay them like we do. You, me, everyone in this thread that turns on their TVs tomorrow evening to watch the game will be paying these guys salaries. If you cant justify it, then dont watch it. I dont believe all athletes are paid right but football players I do. Its a year round job that literally takes years off your life due to the physicality of it. By nature its extremely violent and extremely taxing on your mind and body. You cant overrate what these guys do over 16 weeks or more.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Old 02-06-2010, 06:57 PM #1958
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

I see no reason why these athletes should NOT be paid the way they are.

Athletes are paid to be uncommon. It's as simple as that. People say "well all they do is play a GAME". Yeah, well, they're kinda the best in the world at that particular game. If I was among the best in the world at something, I sure as **** hope I would get some good payment for it.

And keep in mind that MILLIONS of people watch these games. Tens of thousands go to each game. Millions and millions more buy the apparel each year. With all these billions of dollars coming in, where the **** do you want it to go? Straight into the owners pockets? They're already rich enough, they kinda own the ****ing team. Should it go to Roger Goodell? Well, some of it does, but hopefully not too much. No, it goes to athletes, the ones who risk their bodies and years off their lives for entertainment's sake.
The athletes make the game what it is. You watch it because you want to see some big strong athletic people go hit each other for 60 minutes, and you pay damn good money for it. Without the athletes playing the game, there is no football.
In an industry as big as this, I sure hope that a good chunk of it comes back to the ones actually playing the game.

The only salary problem I have is rookie contracts, which are ****ing outrageous. You have somebody who hasn't done **** come in and immediately be paid like he's an All-Pro. This in turn makes the people who actually have done something want a bigger contract than that. Then when somebody else has a big year, they want a bigger contract than that. Etc etc.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:01 PM #1959
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
I see no reason why these athletes should NOT be paid the way they are.

Athletes are paid to be uncommon. It's as simple as that. People say "well all they do is play a GAME". Yeah, well, they're kinda the best in the world at that particular game. If I was among the best in the world at something, I sure as **** hope I would get some good payment for it.

and we have a winner. Simple economics, really. Supply and demand.

And it's the same way with everything, really. If your an average accountant, you might make ~40-50k. If your a good one, you might make $150k. But if your on the biggest stage, like a CFO of a fortune 500, you're likely well into the 7 figure range. And your career is much longer.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 PM #1960
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Exactly. You wonder why a school teacher doesn't make much money although their job, in the grand scheme of things, is WAY more important. Well, a school isn't going to get much revenue. Most of their funding comes from the gov't, and that's usually a pittance compared to what they need.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 PM #1961
Mike Scifres (Banned)

Quote:
Well it's obviously far more practical to become a teacher than a professional athlete. I just can't ethically justify athletes making millions in a single year while laborers struggle to make 30k and live a comfortable life.
If laborers want to make more they should become the best at what they do.

Or they should become competent in a more profitable field.

Hint: I'm not going to pay my gardener $2,000/hour so get over yourself. My surgeon, however, is more likely to get that sort of money from me. I'm damn sure I can pick my own weeds. I'm not so sure I'd be able to perform a cervical bone graft.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 PM #1962
Hawke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post
They are that valuable though. Otherwise we wouldnt pay them like we do. You, me, everyone in this thread that turns on their TVs tomorrow evening to watch the game will be paying these guys salaries. If you cant justify it, then dont watch it. I dont believe all athletes are paid right but football players I do. Its a year round job that literally takes years off your life due to the physicality of it. By nature its extremely violent and extremely taxing on your mind and body. You cant overrate what these guys do over 16 weeks or more.
None of that nor what Black_Angus said really influences their societal value. The people have come to enjoy it, so more revenue will naturally allow owners to pay players more. Back in the early years their salaries weren't very high. Popularity has allowed that to happen, not their increased help to the world or anything. I can dig that in the NFL they are dropping years off their lives, so the high danger pay could be justifiable...but in a sport like baseball or soccer not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Scifres View Post
Hint: I'm not going to pay my gardener $2,000/hour so get over yourself. My surgeon, however, is more likely to get that sort of money from me. I'm damn sure I can pick my own weeds. I'm not so sure I'd be able to perform a cervical bone graft.
I have nothing to get over. I'm in the Engineering (Nuclear/Aerospace) field so I'm not to worried about what I will be making. That and I actually enjoy it.

The whole "tons of people watch it" thing doesn't effect whether their pay is justifiable or not. And I'm not foolish enough to think that a gardener deserves more than an athlete because they help the environment or some ****. However, the heavy labor jobs tax your body just as much and for longer than athletes. 40+ years of hard labor is far harder than anything Sebastian Janikowski has ever done, while he gets paid a few million a year.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:00 AM #1963
chiefillini2357

Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 AM #1964
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Because salaries that athletes make is not justifiable for the work the do, IMO.
Errr, take an econ class

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
Old 02-07-2010, 01:54 AM #1965
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
None of that nor what Black_Angus said really influences their societal value.
And this is where your argument falls apart because you fail to recognize that entertainment is more highly valued by society.

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway

Last edited by licence_to_kill : 02-07-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 AM #1966
Prea

Holy **** at brett favre's injury pictures

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ss-to-saints/1
Old 02-07-2010, 12:29 PM #1967
Hawke

that ankle looks like a typical ankle sprain but that hamstring looks baaaaaaaad
Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM #1968
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Not Super Bowl related, but does anyone think Shaun Alexander is Hall of Fame material?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:38 PM #1969
Captain A v2.0
Whatevs

Annual Supporting Member
Maybe if LT hadn't broke his record the next year.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 PM #1970
hermeydm7

damn i would **** rachel nichols in the *** until **** comes out
Old 02-07-2010, 04:40 PM #1971
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
If LT hadn't broke his record the next year.
Man, if Holmgren hadn't pulled him when he needed two yards to win the rushing title, he'd probably have a better shot, as it would boost his credibility.

As an Alabama fan, I'd like to see him get in, but I just don't see it happening, and I'm not sure he deserves it.

Just something I was thinking about with the HOF stuff going on.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:43 PM #1972
Captain A v2.0
Whatevs

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
Man, if Holmgren hadn't pulled him when he needed two yards to win the rushing title, he'd probably have a better shot, as it would boost his credibility.

As an Alabama fan, I'd like to see him get in, but I just don't see it happening, and I'm not sure he deserves it.

Just something I was thinking about with the HOF stuff going on.
HoF isn't really about what you do in one year. If I recall correctly he isn't in the top twenty five for yards all time; the only thing he really has is the fact that he is pretty high up on the TD list. Only one getting into the HoF from this era in Seattle is Walter Jones.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:47 PM #1973
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
HoF isn't really about what you do in one year. If I recall correctly he isn't in the top twenty five for yards all time; the only thing he really has is the fact that he is pretty high up on the TD list. Only one getting into the HoF from this era in Seattle is Walter Jones.
I believe he's just outside the top twenty-five in yards and #7 all time in TD's. His career numbers are really comparable to Earl Campbell's, with Alexander having a lot more TD's. He just needed a few more good seasons, I'm afraid.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:59 PM #1974
Prea

Alexander had two great years, and was behind some great lineman.

HOF would be a stretch imo...but it could happen.
Closed Thread