PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 PM #43
Powkoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStiK View Post
A rubber gasket will cause the back block to not close the bolt completely and this will cause the hole on your bolt to not line up properly to the exhaust hole on your sniper.
You can account for this by adjusting the pump arm.
Really though, I guess I have never played a game where sound matters that much. I am not enough of a ninja to eliminate the sound of my running up from bunker to bunker, keep the balls in my hopper from rattling, and I ruin it by talking to teammates on the field unless it's right before bunkering someone. I try to use my aim to get eliminations instead of my silence.
That said, I hope the starter of this thread gets the quietest marker in north america.

Powkoa's old feedback
Powkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 AM #44
drgonzo
Half-cocked

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powkoa View Post
You can account for this by adjusting the pump arm.
That does nothing. The distance from the end of the backblock to the transfer port changes if you leave a gap. Guns can tolerate some of this, but not too much. Depends on how the bolt transfer hole is shaped.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 AM #45
washington (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
That does nothing. The distance from the end of the backblock to the transfer port changes if you leave a gap. Guns can tolerate some of this, but not too much. Depends on how the bolt transfer hole is shaped.
cockers are made to have a small gap between the body and back block, enought to fit a credit card in
washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:28 AM #46
drgonzo
Half-cocked

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by washington View Post
cockers are made to have a small gap between the body and back block, enought to fit a credit card in
And that's why I said guns can tolerate some of this, depending on the bolt transfer hole.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 AM #47
Powkoa

How big/thick is this rubber gasket??

Powkoa's old feedback
Powkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM #48
OCMI_Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStiK View Post
A rubber gasket will cause the back block to not close the bolt completely and this will cause the hole on your bolt to not line up properly to the exhaust hole on your sniper.

No matter how quiet you get your pumping action to be, how are you going to deal with the click of the sear catching the hammer lug. Eliminate the hammer and sear?

To be honest, a sniper is not all too loud to pump. You are overestimating your opponents ability to hear on the paintball field. All masks provide ear protection which will muffle any noise they may hear. It is not like you will be playing with players who will be using sensitive listening devices or sonar type instruments to hunt you down.

I was going to take off some material from the back block to compensate for the rubber. I havn't had a chance to grab one yet, I'm looking for between a 1/16" and 1/8" thick piece.

p3ngu!n: I'm only a third year on track to graduate in 5-6; So there's alot of thermo/fluid dynamic stuff I still need to learn which would have come in pretty handy for this project, however I got the time this semester so decided to try it now.

I like the MQ valve however the fact that I'm looking at a minimum of $200 for the grip and valve does not make it very appealing to me. I'm trying to find a rocket valve, however I'm probably going to be going with a tornado valve.

The point of this project is to see if I can get a marker this quiet (below 55db PSL). It's not going to be my primary marker, hell I'll probably rarely use it. But I always hear of people making they're markers "quiet" So I wanted to get a concrete study on how quiet I can make this marker. Also I have a project for my Physics E&M class this semester that requires me to "invent" something, so I'm going to be using the volumizer with the taper idea, unless anyone knows if it's already been patented.

Thanks for all the help so far guys

Last edited by OCMI_Teddy : 02-02-2010 at 02:35 AM.
OCMI_Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:37 AM #49
zachPPK
-/\-^-/\-^-/\-^------

zachPPK donated to help Peyton Trent
zachPPK supports Team VICIOUS
well man if you do your research, and are willing to go the work i dont see why you cant make this thing quite. Yes, it isnt the best body to be working with because of the internal body but i wouldnt count it out because of that. I mean having a marker that quiet may not be the most important or necessary thing on earth but i bet you will have a good time getting it there. Good luck man, and if you ever have any doubts i would listen to Washington and cww516, these two fellows are a plethora of cocker knowledge. Plus Cory(washington) made a pump mech ion so he has to be correct
zachPPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:02 AM #50
washington (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachPPK View Post
Plus Cory(washington) made a pump mech ion so he has to be correct
gravity is a mythe
Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 AM #51
zachPPK
-/\-^-/\-^-/\-^------

damnit!!! i new it! and i knew ive been spelling myth wrong all these years. Ever since i failed my physics midterm i have been finding myself inexplicably immune to the laws of physics.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 AM #52
washington (Banned)

it really has an E but your false assumption of gravity being real has alterred your ability to comprehend the possibilities to know of the letter formally known as E
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 AM #53
zachPPK
-/\-^-/\-^-/\-^------

damn man, i think it would be easier to drop some acid and try to engineer a nuclear reactor than understand the way you think lol. But as a safe alternative to that i'll just continue to let you boggle my mind.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 AM #54
washington (Banned)

drop the acid. feels good man
Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 PM #55
MrStiK
shhhh! I'm Incognito

MrStiK owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMI_Teddy View Post
I was going to take off some material from the back block to compensate for the rubber. I havn't had a chance to grab one yet, I'm looking for between a 1/16" and 1/8" thick piece.

p3ngu!n: I'm only a third year on track to graduate in 5-6; So there's alot of thermo/fluid dynamic stuff I still need to learn which would have come in pretty handy for this project, however I got the time this semester so decided to try it now.

I like the MQ valve however the fact that I'm looking at a minimum of $200 for the grip and valve does not make it very appealing to me. I'm trying to find a rocket valve, however I'm probably going to be going with a tornado valve.

The point of this project is to see if I can get a marker this quiet (below 55db PSL). It's not going to be my primary marker, hell I'll probably rarely use it. But I always hear of people making they're markers "quiet" So I wanted to get a concrete study on how quiet I can make this marker. Also I have a project for my Physics E&M class this semester that requires me to "invent" something, so I'm going to be using the volumizer with the taper idea, unless anyone knows if it's already been patented.

Thanks for all the help so far guys
So your goal is to make the whole thing, not just a component of the pump under 55 db. now that this is a science project, it is making more sense to me. I apologize because first i thought this was gonna be a main pump used in scenario type play and if that was the case, how you play makes you as quiet as what you shoot. But for scientific purposes, I am all for it.

Regardless of what you do, the biggest obstacle is of course the pop of the exhaust valve. and of course going to the lowest pressure you can while making this thing operate would of course be the key and way to go.

Looks like you are local to SO Cal OC, IF that is true, I would love to see that marker in action someday once it is complete
MrStiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:38 PM #56
OCMI_Teddy

Anyone know when volume might be too much?

If I were to mill the body out to 2k specs the volumizer I designed for it would have a volume of ~32.21ml this is 13 times the volume of the current guide rod. I'm not worried with efficientcy though.

Last edited by OCMI_Teddy : 02-02-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 AM #57
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

if you ever shoot while not holding the pump arm, ive seen the velocity go up by a few fps and any sniper get dramatically quieter. i suspect this has something to do with allowing the initial power pulse of air to get dampened some as the valve is opened.

a somewhat similar effect can be found when using a jam bolt (that travels backwards against an internal spring.)

what about a volumized bolt? or an excessively volumized bolt?

put a light spring loaded piston in the back of the bolt to absorb a good hunk of the initial pulse wave. (i.e., take the peak off) this should lower the report.
scroadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM #58
russc
Avratech Tech

russc posts videos on PbNation
russc has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I think the most important thing after pressure is the bolt. Make sure you get a venturi bolt. I'd recommend an o-ringed model. ANS quick pulls have great venturi porting, but I hate the quick release design. You should be able to find something cheap though, since venturis fell out of favor with the cool kids.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 AM #59
OCMI_Teddy

Here's an update,

Current set-up is going to look like so:

2K spec R/F body (explained later in the post)----on the way
CP reg with 0-300 gauge-----ready to go
rocket valve---------on the way
madman spring kit--------on the way
besales derlin bolt(possibly going to be volumized)-----on the way
CCM back block(going to hit with grinder then rubber padding)---on the way
Stock hammer (going to hit with grinder then VERY thin rubber padding) or possibly a derlin hammer w/ steel core.
ANS quick fire 45, frame/trigger--------ready to go
Custom 2k spec venturi volumizer----still needs to be made
lapco A-5 to Cocker barrel adapter----ready to go
Lapco snapshot .687 back-----ready to go
Custom Barrel extension------still needs to be made

All put into a old-cheapy wooden mauser stock, possibly packed with sound absorbant foam if there's room for sufficient amounts.

The reason for the switch to the 2k spec body is because when I got my barrel adapter I screwed it in and saw this:

(sorry for the crappy phone pic)

on the right side you'll see a dark moon shap bump. That is the adapter not lining up with the bolt chamber. My initial thought that the adapter was bad but on inspection it was the actual marker that was off! The bolt chamber is at an off set angle to the rest of the marker. I took out a pair of calipers and got a measure of ~3.7mm on the right and ~4.4mm on the left on the back of the bolt chamber. How did no one in 11 years see this? Must have been at the bottom of a bin this whole time....

Was this a common issue for cockers back then?

Last edited by OCMI_Teddy : 02-05-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 PM #60
pump
I don't play pump lol

pump is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroadkill View Post
I wrote up a few things that may help..
plagiarize much? http://www.teamsection8.com/art-sniper2-mojo.htm

#1) dont hold the pump handle
#4) JAM Enterprises made an open faced spring loaded bolt that essentially accomplished the same thing as not holding the pump handle.

these 2 suggestions are cop-outs you can tune a Sniper to shoot quiet even holding your pump handle using stock parts.

read this this is how i do it and how i think about it
http://www.hawaiipb.com/index.php?topic=372.0

oh and youll want light springs, maddman springs are too hard
and only 1 person i know can tune a rocket valve quietly, Dr. Isotope

Last edited by pump : 02-06-2010 at 06:58 PM.
pump is offline   Reply With Quote