Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 PM #1
BloodStorm

Standards or Regulation?

Does paintball need actual legal regulation or do you think the industry is still capable of regulating itself through recommended standards?

A few years ago I would have never have even considered this but the evident push towards profit over fair/safe play I've seen lately has me questioning my stand.
BloodStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM #2
nsmont

It's a sad day when a sport requires legal intervention to keep it safe. I dare say it may have lost it's place as a "sport". For the unsafe use of paintball markers off the field, as a community these people need to be excommunicated from the entire sport. Accidents happen and this isn't agianst them, rather it's agianst those immature "kids" (whether those "kids" are 8 or 65) who intentionally use the marker to hurt/scare some poor bloke on the side walk. We need to encourage the maximum penalty for these crimes.
But aside from the odvious "crimes" commited with paintball markers, I would absolutely hate to see it come to the point of legal regulation of our sport. If we in fact are at that crossroad, it may be time to take a long hard look at our rules and regulations. I think technology has progressed too fast for the sport. No other sport relies on the equipment to keep players competative as much as paintball does. No hockey player can use a motorized stick to get a faster shot, not because the law prohibits it, but because of the regulations of the sport. Corking bats, same premise. Every sport I can think of has these rules in place to prevent technology from becoming the deciding factor of a players ability. Heck even in F1, or Nascar where technology IS the sport, every team is limited to a very select group of cars and motors. And those cars and motors are limited to very tight tolorences. And all these rules (which are governed from within there respective sports) are in place for two reasons, one for safety and two to keep the particepant's skill the main deciding factor of who wins and who loses. I love pump tournaments, I don't even own a pump, let alone play in tournaments, but I love how the game relies on the skill of the player and not how much paint he/she can send down the field.
So speedballers and manufacturers will hate what I have to say, but maybe the time has come to put the skill of the player back on center stage and severly limit technology's role. Like no modes whatsoever, strictly semi, in my oppinion that is all speedball should be. In fact, do we really need circut boards to do the work for us, maybe bring it back to mechanical markers.
In conclusion, I don't pretend to have the answers, or that I agree with my own ideas. I am saying that if the sport has gotten to the point that we doubt our own ability to regulate it then a long hard look is needed as to why we've gotten to this point and we need to do it now.
nsmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 PM #3
bgr3118
SOV

bgr3118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bgr3118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Amen

Sponsored By:VALKEN PAINTBALL, ANSGEAR.COM, ZEPHYER PAINTBALL, HITMAN GEAR
bgr3118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM #4
BloodStorm

I hadn't even considered the outside world in this. I figure there's plenty of legal action available to grill them with. For me, like you, it's become about the overabundance of fire power or more importantly how it's being utilized. Years ago we had those discussions and everyone agreed that we made more money in the long run by not allowing that type of behavior. More that once I kicked people off the field for the same garbage that is common place now. Players thought I was be protective of them but that was just a benefit. In reality I was protecting my bottom line.
What really prompted me to start this thread was that about a week ago I was watching some games at a local field and watched this kid (guessing about 14) get bunkered hard by this guy (probably 30ish) and bloodied pretty bad. And it got me think about how we've gotten this far without a ton of lawsuits about child abuse/endangerment. And how as an industry we've allowed this behavior to become the norm. Just because these kids wear the same jerseys we do (and play better than most of us) doesn't make them adults. And sooner or later the outside world is going to exploit this weakness we're going to be swimming in some deep legal brown stuff.
BloodStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 PM #5
nsmont

I see where your coming from, and that IS a bit more of a difficult question. In a sport where a ball hit isn't the same as a ball break there is a tendancy to put a few more balls on target just to be sure. When does "making sure" become unsportsmanlike conduct, or even dangerous. Huh tough question.
Going back to my last post, limiting technology's role would've made this problem much less of a ..... problem. However, I'm not naive, I understand that we have progressed too far in technology and our thinking to move back in time for such a radical solution.
I still feel that outside regulation would be VERY bad for the sport. It would mean that all rules put in place would be subject to the misconseptions about the sport that we all hate so much.
Somehow, and I don't pretend to know how, we need to curb these issues ourselves.
Maybe a clearer set of rules is needed, not rules in style (paintball is beautiful in it's flexability), but in the essence of the game. We need more than 300fps, keep your masks on, keep your barrel socks on, no hitting pinching or biting..... 20 years ago, no one would've guessed bps would've become what it is today, maybe beside the 300FPS, we need a BPS rule. I don't know, but I agree with you 100%..... if things continue on the road they're on, we will end up in a big pile "brown stuff"
nsmont is offline   Reply With Quote