ReplyScenario Ups

Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM #1
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
This game was a 10/10!

Okay guys,
In hopes that I can draw some attention to a field that is extremely underplayed and producers that are not given enough props. I wanted to post an after action report/summary of a game that I played on 1/31.

31 January 2010
Stalingrad IV
Chesapeake City, MD
Outdoor Adventures Chesapeake City

The weather was clear, it had been snowing less than 12 hours prior to game on in the entire state. The snow covered the field nicely to add to the historical accuracy for the storyline. The temperature outside had been below freezing for quite some time but with the cloud cover gone for the day and the sun shining, it was only cold if you stood still for 20 minutes at a time.

The field had pockets of standing water that had frozen over, but for the most part had a powdery layer of snow covering it. The size of the field was reduced due to the number of participants who attended. The field can accomodate many, many more players. From what I gather we played on about 1/3 of the field available, if that. The play area was centered around a large open area littered with various full (fat kid) sized bunkers with a large multi-level firebase in the center of the field. The firebase seems to have been built by somebody who has some kind of knowledge of defensive positions. It is easily defendable if you know what you are doing. The open area is flanked by cleared woods that have multiple bunkers and fat trees that allow for some great movement and multiple "clean" engagements in the trees. The bunkers were built solidly, there weren't many clumps of bryer bushes all over the place, and the natural berms throughout the play area added to the feel of the field.

The turnout was less than 100 players on game-day and was enough for a great engagement, but in my opinion wasn't enough to play this field to it's full potential. There was a lot of breathing room. Play was had all over the field. Even though the field was scaled down, it wasn't scaled down too much and wasn't too large for the small numbers of players. This is what disappointed me though. I walked this field, and saw what we were missing as a group. This field is severely underplayed. The potential here is tough to fathom there's so much just from the field layout alone.

The missions were definitely put together with play in mind. there weren't a lot of gimmies with objectives 10 feet from the home CP or anything. For instance, the fuel cans were placed directly in between both sides when they were placed on the field to make sure both sides had a fighting chance for points. Some scenarios I've played have had objectives like that assigned to a time and location, regardless of who controls the area. Gimmies like that don't challenge the players IMO. Not the case for this game. There were lots of refs on the field for this game. Even if we had more players, the ratio would've still be favorable. Best part, every ref knew what was going on. How often do you find a ref who has no clue of what's going on with the rest of the field? Again, that wasn't the case here. Props for all of that. they were also on the ball when it came to recognizing illegal firing modes and handling playing on which we all know happens at every single scenario en masse. I have to recognize that effort. It was well appreciated. To all the OACC tournament teams that provided refs, you guys did an amazing job reffing scenario paintball. I understand the difference and acknowledge the difficulties involved in reffing scenario. you did an awesome job. Props to Black Caesar and Devastation for their players keeping this game legit. I'm sure there were others out there, but I personally dealt with only those team's members.

The game played out very well. The breath of the game was relaxed. When we engaged the enemy, the situation was mitigated cleanly, and when the counterstrike came it worked out well for both sides. There were no shouting matches that I saw. For the most part of the day, the Russians we able to accomplish a lot up to within a reasonable distance from the German CP. The Germans did hold the Russians from accomplishing a couple of key objectives, including the final objective. Points-wise the Germans pulled it out.

You don't think I'd finish without mentioning the staff and the food did you? The staff at OACC is actually there because they love paintball and want others to feel the joy it can bring. Not because they get some extra cash for it, and not because it's a cool place to hang out. Every single person wearing a red OA shirt were very personable, knowledgable and helpful. The food? there was a boatload of food. It was two very important things. Warm, and delicious. Unlike having the choice between burnt white meat or burnt red meat and two sodas that most of us are familiar with, this was a welcome change. The food was top notch. One thing I want to mention here that I haven't seen often was the lunch break. At least I haven't seen it employed effectively until now. A cease fire came for lunch and lasted an hour to make sure that the three hour lag in numbers didn't occur from everybody taking a lunch break at different times. It worked out very well for the numbers we had. It also helped the caterers to have hot food that wasn't prepared hours ago. But hot food prepared minutes ago. Big difference in the taste factor.

My overall rating of this game was a 10 out of 10. I contemplated a 9/10 due to not having enough players to use the field in it's entirety. But that's not the fault of the producers or the field. it's just that a lot of people who love the game missed out. Players on both sides came away really enjoying themselves.

Last edited by stevebski : 02-02-2010 at 06:27 PM.
stevebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM #2
ace0007

I'm actually looking at going down there, but not until the fall. I was checking out the Law Enforcement cup they had in October.

PM me for my facebook!
Newly Contracted RTM player
ace0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:41 AM #3
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
you won't be disappointed
Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 AM #4
papawood
TEAM TOTAL TACTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebski View Post
you won't be disappointed
I second that ! OACC is top notch.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 AM #5
deadpooll
Loudmouth

Played the Persian Paradigm game there last year. While the field isn't huge it is still quite nice. The grassy area has a fair number of mounds to hide behind, a small fort, spools and even a school bus. Just watch out for that damn OA tank. That stupid thing shot me in the back and I was like, "Where the hell did that come from?"

No promises but I hope to make it back there at least once this year.

Corporate Donors: Commissioned Credentials, ANS Gear, Zephyr Paintball
deadpooll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 AM #6
13thFreak
13thLegionnaires-VicePres

13thFreak owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
we have been enjoying OA games for years and will continue to do so as long as they're there.
great staff + great games = great times, its that simple.
were gonna show some love to Chesapeake City this year.

WHERES THAT SCHEDULE ??

http://www.planeteclipse.com/folders...10brochure.pdf

Check out our Team Section right here at PBNation
13th LegionnairesTeam Section on PBN
13thFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 AM #7
Warbird
Cherokee Paintball

Warbird is playing at Living Legends III
Warbird owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I've played this field a number times going back to when it was called ECX. Always had a great time at their games but for me what always bugged me was their scheduling. For this game I didn't get an email for it until the first week of January making it damn near impossible for me to assemble the boys and drive up there for the game. the producers there need to get the info about their games out faster and well in advance. Look at EMR, Splatbrothers, and Sherwood Forest for examples of places that do a great job promoting the games. I mean you could put on a "10/10" game but it doesn't mean squat if no one is there to play it, especially if they didn't know about the game until 3 weeks prior.

Glad you had a good time, the staff there is top notch. The field could be utilized better even for the space they have. It seems games always end up at the firebase or just inside the woods along the creek.
Warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 PM #8
Comfymumfy

Annual Supporting Member
Comfymumfy is playing at Living Legends III
Comfymumfy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thFreak View Post
WHERES THAT SCHEDULE ??
Started a new thread with this years schedule. Hope to see you guys at CC this year!
Outdoor Xtreme Chesapeake City OXCC
Comfymumfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 PM #9
13thFreak
13thLegionnaires-VicePres

13thFreak owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!!!!
now that we can plan it way ahead you will see us around more often.

thanks Comfy

http://www.planeteclipse.com/folders...10brochure.pdf

Check out our Team Section right here at PBNation
13th LegionnairesTeam Section on PBN
13thFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:44 PM #10
dstanley753
XOXO ~ Mad Hatter

dstanley753 posts videos on PbNation
dstanley753 supports our troops
dstanley753 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Haven't played CC yet (yet!), but Bowie was nice so I can only imagine CC.

GraveDiggersPaintball
Team Elder/ SGT at ARMS
dstanley753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 PM #11
njmac

best day of paintball I have ever played, cant wait for the next one!

Nurv Droid

04 Blue Prostock CCM Pump, Chrome Freak Kit

BLue Bomber ION w/CP rake trigger, cp Reg, CP razor drop, CP on/off, NDZ Skeleton Bolt, SP Freak kit 16" front
njmac is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyScenario Ups