PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-26-2010, 04:23 PM #1
Paintbllr2008
o.O

anyone know the bible verse...

jesus told everyone to sell all their belongings and give them to the poor (Matthew 19:21). but, i remember reading that two of his followers didnt do this and said they did, and they were punished for it. anyone know of that verse? or is it just completely made up in my head. ive spent probably an hour searching for it online, to no luck.

thank you in advance.
Paintbllr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 PM #2
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintbllr2008 View Post
jesus told everyone to sell all their belongings and give them to the poor (Matthew 19:21). but, i remember reading that two of his followers didnt do this and said they did, and they were punished for it. anyone know of that verse? or is it just completely made up in my head. ive spent probably an hour searching for it online, to no luck.

thank you in advance.
only thing I can possibly think of is Acts 5. Everyone sold property and gave to the community but a husband and wife lied about what they gave when questioned and they were killed.

That part confuses the **** out of me. Though, I guess technically they just died, possible from guilt or something. It doesn't actually say God killed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acts 5:1-11 ESV
But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, 2 and with his wife's knowledge he kept back for himself some of the proceeds and brought only a part of it and laid it at the apostles' feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? 4 While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.” 5 When Ananias heard these words, he fell down and breathed his last. And great fear came upon all who heard of it. 6 The young men rose and wrapped him up and carried him out and buried him.

7 After an interval of about three hours his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter said to her, “Tell me whether you [1] sold the land for so much.” And she said, “Yes, for so much.” 9 But Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. When the young men came in they found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 And great fear came upon the whole church and upon all who heard of these things.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:17 PM #3
Paintbllr2008
o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
only thing I can possibly think of is Acts 5. Everyone sold property and gave to the community but a husband and wife lied about what they gave when questioned and they were killed.

That part confuses the **** out of me. Though, I guess technically they just died, possible from guilt or something. It doesn't actually say God killed them.
That is exactly what I was thinking of, thanks for your help
Paintbllr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:50 PM #4
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post

Sounds to me, according to Peter's foreknowledge of what was about to take place, that he himself killed them.
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη is offline   Reply With Quote