Community Focus

Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 PM #22
24/7

why the dodgy?
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 PM #23
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
I see some of the shots some people in this thread post in the rate the photo above you thread and I wonder how you can say anything when 90% of your shots are throwaways. It would seem your IQ levels reflect your photographic skill and respect for the art.

Some of the best photographers in the world use lomography to make amazing shots. Check out some of the live concert photos by Peter Ellenby for example. Isn't art about exploring new things and bending or even breaking the rules? Don't be a bunch of pretentious little girls about it.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 PM #24
Whatiship
G-Town Heroes!

personally, i'm not complaining about the style. However, I am complaining about the pictures.

The Duct Tape pod belt

Canon 50D. 35L
EFS 55-250 IS
Whatiship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 PM #25
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

rdm3000 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyroolz101 View Post
IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2715/4302744730_9496d21278.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2698/4302744154_61610a8bef.jpg[/IMG]

Post up!
Both of those look pretty cool.

edit: come on guys if you're going to hate at least give some CC

follow me on instagram @mrryanmckee
rdm3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM #26
maddermaxx
Das ist nicht Hitler.

Where the hell are half of these people coming from? It's like they were sitting in the bushes and sprang out..

They use lomo's at my school. Simple because they don't expect every student to cough up the money for a real MF camera.

"Originally posted by infinital: nah dude as long as im not too ****ed i can type. just usually when i post here i am at that too ****ed point"
maddermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 PM #27
Cash_
Uhhh....Whats up?

Nothing wrong with using some lo-fi stuff. Jose Villa uses a holga, sx-70, instax, and some other misc holga stuff at most his weddings and his images are great. there are a ton of Holga only photographers out there who fetch a fortune for their prints yet they spend 30 bucks whenever they drop their camera. Its just part of photography being able to control the uncontrollable is a pretty big feat to me, I have respect for those who drop everything to create totally imperfect images out of choice and enjoy doing it.

I dont think you guys are being *** hole but what your saying it like being an oil painter and calling everyone who uses water color a fraud. its just two separate mediums and some of my favorite images of all time are either shot on "Lo-Fi" cameras or have MAJOR flaws according to the "rules" of photography. lighten up, appreciate it for what it is.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM #28
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~

Potz4Prez is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
But water colors are fraudulent.

<3 oils

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:22 PM #29
24/7

nobody here is hating on people who use lo-fi cameras. hell, my camera was a low tech model when it came out in the 50s. im saying i think the ideal that giving ****ty photos a branded style and citing some weak philosophy that flaws are more important than content is whack.

a turd is a turd no matter what philosophy you have about it, and getting more people to step in it doesnt make your shoes smell any better.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 PM #30
ego09boi
I make pictars

no one is bagging on the style we are simply exclaiming that his pictures suck
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 PM #31
Cash_
Uhhh....Whats up?

I wasn't saying that in the least, i totally agree. I was saying that more towards viper and junkie who blatantly just piss on it because its "hip" or just dont understand the appeal. Im just saying that everything has its place, so when you view stuff even if it sucks completely someone else wont think so.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:29 PM #32
Whatiship
G-Town Heroes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207 View Post
nobody here is hating on people who use lo-fi cameras. hell, my camera was a low tech model when it came out in the 50s. im saying i think the ideal that giving ****ty photos a branded style and citing some weak philosophy that flaws are more important than content is whack.

a turd is a turd no matter what philosophy you have about it, and getting more people to step in it doesnt make your shoes smell any better.

The Duct Tape pod belt

Canon 50D. 35L
EFS 55-250 IS
Whatiship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM #33
infinital

i have never seen half of the people in this thread.

i simply made the remark i don't get it
Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM #34
mdyroolz101
Glocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego09boi View Post
god not this guy with the pictures sorry snapshots of his car
I'd love to see what you've done with photography pal.

To the negative people:
Yes I hate the hipster kids too. However its another aspect of photography is it not? You can't do things like this with a DSLR. Granted most of my shots with my Lomo camera are indeed rather ****ty. But I like exploring and experimenting with things. Rules are meant to be broken. I'm still trying to figure out some beginner stuff with this thing.

To those that have never shot one:
Its not near as easy as you think and its a ton of fun once you get into it.
mdyroolz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM #35
Slugfest
Got Dad Strength?

Slugfest plays in the PSP
Slugfest helped look for balloons
Slugfest supports Bob Gurnsey
Slugfest plays in the APPA D4 division
so much hate ITT

I love st:photo for being truthful as opposed to potn. But, just because people choose very carefully who they nutswing from here doesn't mean that everybody has to be so ****ty. The man opened the thread and is obviously having fun learning a new style. He didn't by any means say that he had created a Picasso. Yes, there is alot of **** floating around in st:photo. But because of this thread, I know more about Lomo than I did 10 min. ago.

CHphoto
●◦●◦●◦Perryman flies BMWs like kites◦●◦●◦●
Satisfaction ends progress.
New BST +5 / 0
Slugfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 PM #36
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm3000 View Post
edit: come on guys if you're going to hate at least give some CC
C&C is impossible with lomo. Any C&C would be about processes such as thinking that would undermine the idea of it.

207 and I actually had a good mini-discussion about LOMO awhile back, I wish I could remember where it was... [trying to find]

I think it's a good read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil inferno V1.0 View Post
lomography. point and shoot cameras that distort saturation and whatnot.
AKA. trendy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmr View Post
Wrong on two points.

Lomo is the name of a camera (Lomographische), as well as short for the 'idea': Lomography, coined off of this camera, is used to represent a shooting style. It is supposed to be a relaxed, 'shoot-from-the-hip' type. The idea is kindof about breaking all the photographic rules. They stress not thinking, not worrying about focusing, etc. etc. A lot of the time people will cross-process their film as well, to add to the uncertainty.

It's sort of a semi-guided neo-dada thing (don't think about that too hard even if you know what I'm saying).

(rauschenberg) (johns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Disc View Post
I shoot this camera for the sole purpose of entertainment. I do not tout the artistic capabilities of the LOMO, this is because I appreciated its aesthetic value and not just its artistic value. I am by no means an artist. I am very well aquainted with artists and attend a college with one of the best photo programs in the nation. I know many, many photo majors there, they all dispute the artistic value of the LOMO as well. I am here to see who else shoots a LOMO and to converse about interactions with the device and its end product, I am not here to dispute the artistic value of this form of media.

thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmr View Post
While I don't partake in this 'fad', I CAN see the appeal in it... but like with most fads, the majority of those who partake in it are not those that the real participants wanting to represent them (and is unfortunatley often the case)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 207 View Post
i can dig the casual, snapshot aesthetic, and use it a lot in my own photography, as well as the "forget the technicals, just get the shot" directives, but i dont think the whole blindfire accident thing adds anything to lomo photos.

there are a lot of people who use some of the guiding principles very successfully, but many, many more who jump atop the bandwagon and produce utter garbage.

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.

Last edited by therealmr : 01-25-2010 at 10:28 PM.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 AM #37
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~

Potz4Prez is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
This thread needs MOAR penguin!

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 AM #38
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

rdm3000 is a Supporting Member

follow me on instagram @mrryanmckee
rdm3000 is offline   Reply With Quote