Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-27-2009, 09:11 AM #1
Abnmp78

Rifle grenades

I made some nerf arrows that I can fire from the barrel of my marker. They go 20-30 feet accurately. Has anyone used these as anti- tank/ bunker rounds?I think it's an easy short range round. Opinions please.
Abnmp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2009, 08:08 PM #2
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
I've used this before...

On a pump gun with an unported barrel I get the same range as you, 30 feet or so.

Remember, always check with the field owner/operator BEFORE bringing something like this on the field. Every field and scenario game is different. Two of my local fields though it was a great idea. Though I suspect one thought I'd never be able to pull off an elimination with it due to the extremely short range. Managed to pull it off once so far. First time I tried it I did manage to shoot clear over the top of the tank. I was afraid I would fall short, and over compensated.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 AM #3
jrock0910
Old School Twists

jrock0910 is a Supporting Member
jrock0910 supports Bob Gurnsey
jrock0910 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
interesting

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members

:To Quote Former President Thomas Jefferson: "If any state in the Union will declare that it prefers separation...to a continuance in union... I have no hesitation in saying, 'let us separate
jrock0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:15 PM #4
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

This type of rocket!

This is the first time I have seen a rocket modified in this nature. As a tanker or fighting vehicle operator I see no reason why if couldnt be used on fields. On many fields the launcher to tank ratio is normally high so anti tank guys normally have a field day with us. I think with some limitation of this rocket or with other launchers to give us tankers more of a chance would prove out to be very interesting. I think it would also be good for players to have a rocket of this type to use when they are attacking bunkers or building fighting. With this close range of around 30 yards the person shooting this rocket with their marker better be agile and like to take on things at close range. Or they will become quick cannon fodder to some other player or tank. I think in the early spring I'll test some old rockets like this with my fighting vehicle to see if they can be an option with close range with another tank or bunker. Loading one of these rockets on a marker and then shooting would be somewhat faster then loading a launcher. To get better range a marker could be used only as a granade launcher perhaps the marker could be cronied much high around 300 or so. An interesting idea so lets see how others think about it!

Treaddz
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM #5
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

I dont think those should take out a tank. there is no way in real a rifle grenade will destroy a tank unless you fire it inside the open hatch and it blows the tanks ammo. Tankers have a raw deal with rules that dont allow us to shoot bunkers. Im not a big fan of the grenade kill rule either.

http://1sspanzerkorps.com/
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM #6
Furb

See those what looks like barrels? Those are filled with gasoline or other flammable fuel if a rifle grenade hit that guess what the crew is engulfed in flame an will be cooked inside the tank. Sorry to kill you there BlackAngel I just had to say something about it.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:24 AM #7
Abnmp78

Actually the AT rifle grenade was developed during WW II. And used upto Vietnam, when it was replaced by tv M72 LAW. The range of under 30 FEET is well within MG range so you will have to be very good to hit a tank. If you crank up the velocity it blows up the darts. Yes I tried so keep it at normal velocity. And if you hit someone it won't hurt. I'm all in favor of tanks vs AT ratios but this gives players a last ditch defence.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 AM #8
Furb

I think the AT to tank ratio should 2:1 2 AT players for 1 Tank, or a 3:1, 4:1 at tops.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM #9
octane2079
Drunken Badger

octane2079 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furb View Post

See those what looks like barrels? Those are filled with gasoline or other flammable fuel if a rifle grenade hit that guess what the crew is engulfed in flame an will be cooked inside the tank. Sorry to kill you there BlackAngel I just had to say something about it.

So we should just assume every tank is a t72 with a crew who wouldn't just jettison the external tanks? Also diesel is very hard to ignite from its vapors unlike gasoline, there have been cases in checnya where the external tanks get shot up, but nothing happens as it's not a very explosive fuel.
Xbox Live/Origin Name Edgyxsf
octane2079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:04 AM #10
brandondeckerpb

I think the Rifle Grenade is a very interesting deal and should not be forgotten. Like say if you are to use RG to take out a tank, make it be like 3 or 4 hits from them before the tank can be in affect killed or have it be like if they are hit by a RG, they have to be disabled for 5 mins.
-Decker
Founder, writer and producer for : Smokey Scenario Productions
https://www.facebook.com/SmokeyScenarioProductions
brandondeckerpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:46 PM #11
Furb

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane2079 View Post
So we should just assume every tank is a t72 with a crew who wouldn't just jettison the external tanks? Also diesel is very hard to ignite from its vapors unlike gasoline, there have been cases in checnya where the external tanks get shot up, but nothing happens as it's not a very explosive fuel.
It was a joke for blackangel.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:33 PM #12
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
I don't know about these taking out a tank, but the fields I play all state that a hand thrown grenade will knock out the tank's mobility for 5 minutes, but it is still a live tank that can shoot. What's to say this is any different than a hand thrown grenade?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 PM #13
Furb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebski View Post
I don't know about these taking out a tank, but the fields I play all state that a hand thrown grenade will knock out the tank's mobility for 5 minutes, but it is still a live tank that can shoot. What's to say this is any different than a hand thrown grenade?
Really? that's cool. How about 5 rifle grenades in about 1:30-2:00 mins an the tank is destroyed. That way players get to shoot tanks while the tanks have a chance its a win win.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 PM #14
Abnmp78

The were two types of RG. One was HE like a regular grenade and one was HEAT like a bazooka's. The American HEAT RG could penetrate as much armor as the bazooka. Just had a much shorter range.
I favor limiting the number of AT rounds available
not the number of launchers. I would rather see ten guys with two rounds each than two guys with ten rounds each. When you only have two rounds you will be more picky of your shots. Since the RG has a much shorter range two RG would equal one AT round.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:37 PM #15
Furb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmp78 View Post
The were two types of RG. One was HE like a regular grenade and one was HEAT like a bazooka's. The American HEAT RG could penetrate as much armor as the bazooka. Just had a much shorter range.
I favor limiting the number of AT rounds available
not the number of launchers. I would rather see ten guys with two rounds each than two guys with ten rounds each. When you only have two rounds you will be more picky of your shots. Since the RG has a much shorter range two RG would equal one AT round.
The American bazooka sucked against the German tiger tanks it was like shooting it with a tennis ball it would bounce off or not even scratch it.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:42 PM #16
Abnmp78

Correct, the RPG-7 is basically the RG attached to a rocket and with modern explosives a great killer. But most LAWs won't penetrate the front of a tank so the 0-2-1 method to get a kill is used.(front/ side/rear)
Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM #17
Furb

Quote:
Correct, the RPG-7 is basically the RG attached to a rocket and with modern explosives a great killer. But most LAWs won't penetrate the front of a tank so the 0-2-1 method to get a kill is used.(front/ side/rear)
You know the RPG-7 uses molten copper to penetrate the armor and splash hot molten metal all over the inside right? So unless a tank has cage armor or C4 explosive packs with steel on it the tank wont be damaged. I like the limit on the AT unit ammo 2 per player or maybe 5 at the most.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 PM #18
Abnmp78

Actually all HEAT rounds use that principle. The rule of thumb is a AT will penetrate 2-4 times its diameter. I.e. 4" warhead will penetrate 8-16" of armor, depending on quality. So my point is it doesn't matter how it's launched but the size. Yes size does matter
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 PM #19
Furb

Quote:
Actually all HEAT rounds use that principle. The rule of thumb is a AT will penetrate 2-4 times its diameter. I.e. 4" warhead will penetrate 8-16" of armor, depending on quality. So my point is it doesn't matter how it's launched but the size. Yes size does matter
I wasn't arguing against your point of bigger is better but I did say was I like the limit but they wont be effective against cage armor or C4 explosive packs.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 PM #20
rdkcby

rdkcby donated to help Peyton Trent
rdkcby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Hence the size of the shaped charge on the panzerfaust.
rdkcby is offline   Reply With Quote