Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM #43
indy007
ND Toy Company

I'm surprised and dismayed that none of you are using computerized fire control. Scenario has been around for 15 years. By now it should be 1 shot, 1 kill from 100 yards, on the move, at 60 nerfs per minute.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM #44
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Fix me up with one. Has to weigh 5 pounds or less for my walking tank. Give ya $100 for it. Until then...........

Working on my belt feed for the autoloader upgrade.

If I can get my STKT anti tank round to work at 100 yards, I could STOP and fire at my leisure...

Last edited by Boom Master : 11-10-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM #45
indy007
ND Toy Company

The weight limit is easy. Make that $100 about $300 and you're on the right track.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM #46
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Really? Weight under 5 pounds not an issue? For $300. Just the gyros, pneumatic rams, and air supply to run them would weigh over 5 pounds... Hydralics will triple that...

The suveryor laser rangefinders are 5 pounds counting the battery pack... Those home depot laser measuring sticks don't have the power for the 100 yard range and if they did, wouldn't let you use it on their field. Definately a eye hazard. How you going to do the rangefinding?

Yeah computers are light.... You seriously have a system working or on the boards? or are you just poking fun at our tank tinkering club...? We do get carried away.

It is OK either way. They can't ALWAYS tell when I'm trying to be funny or when I'm serious.....
Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 AM #47
indy007
ND Toy Company

Wow are completely and totally off the mark on the requirements to do it. You don't need hydraulic anything. You don't even need a gyro. You don't need a surveyors range finder, or a laser stick from home depot.

Your problem is that you think up a capability, then think up a tactic for it. That's totally backwards. You have to think of the tactic, then find what cheap, off the the shelf gear will do it with little to no modification.

A golf or cheap hunting range finder with a web cam stuck to the eyepiece reading the LCD coordinates off the screen with 2 lines of code will do it just fine. That's your range. A properly balanced gun assembly can be elevated with a relatively cheap servo. Frame angle, etc, can be accomplished with cheap accelerometers.

I'm not making fun of tank drivers by any means. Though I will make fun of walkers.. you're not a real tank, you're an ******* taking his bunker with him. I've been fiddling with design concepts and prototyping systems for a few years now, and have addressed almost every issue that's important, from shooting down incoming nerfs, to a hybrid powertrain that uses a gas generator to charge batteries and can cut it all off and run on silent electrics, to advanced sensor and electronic warfare suites.

All for less than people are already paying for their current tanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 PM #48
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
computerized fire control. It should be 1 shot, 1 kill from 100 yards, on the move,
No 'cheap servo' will hold a barrel on a target in a moving, bouncing tank.

Can't manually input range data from a rangefinder and hit anything on the move... From a fixed postion, maybe if it isn't too breezy....

100 yard with a Nerf is 20 feet to the right or left of you aiming point in a 5 mph breeze. A miss on a golf cart sized tank.

Hunting rangefinders use a fixed dimension of the game you are hunting. Like a golf stick rangefinder. Won't work on tanks which come in all shapes and sizes. I've built my own rangefinder based on that..

So I gather you are speaking theoretically. You haven't built one.

We are the guys actually building stuff and trying to get it to work on a limited budget. Pedaling as fast as we can...

Last edited by Boom Master : 11-11-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM #49
indy007
ND Toy Company

Nope, built prototypes and tested it already. It's just a component you stick on an existing tank, or new build. That's why you prototype all of your systems separately before creating an integrated vehicle. You can even make a range finder with nothing but a laser, webcam, and trigonometry if it came down to it (already did it). That same laser, webcam, and trig led a very smart engineer to develop the world's lowest cost LIDAR with millimeter resolution.

Range finders do not use a fixed dimensions. That's silly. You don't buy one for deer, one for elk, one for bear. At least Bushnell models don't. It's not even very logical considering it's just a laser dot being reflected, and good out to 1000 yards. You can get a deer easily at 200 yards, smaller than any tank. You can get an average tree out to 450 yards easily. Far more range is available than ever is needed for paintball.

Servos will keep it stable just fine, as long as you have sensors providing feedback on the motion. It can swing 100s of degrees per second, with many pounds of force. USB pc devices support all of it, off-the-shelf. You just need a very basic knowledge of any .NET language. Adjusting for windage and motion is a joke. Keep the camera aligned on the target, which should be totally hands free and slaved to off-the-shelf, very cheap, head tracking. A damn spinning propeller on a weather vane will give you wind speed and direction. Distance and recording the motion of your turret allows you to calculate lead requirements over the distance. Simple math later, rounds are on target.

It's no different than how a real tank fire control system operates, except far cheaper and shorter ranged.

At the end of the day, it's just math. All of the pieces are already there.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 PM #50
hotch
runner

personally, i think the only defense against anti-tank weapons is a good offense.

however, the net gun in the first page is a great idea. if the operator of the nat launcher was good enough, he may reduce the chance of the tank being hit.
MKX Alias rocket launcher
hotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:50 PM #51
custar

has been a member for 10 years
Have you thought about where you are taking your tank? Try OK D-Day and Panzer Attack where the AT is marker-based. The AT will have about the same range you do, and only hits on small target panels on each side of the tank result in eliminations.

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

Looking for Action Markers Diadem Tanks for sale

Old feedback thread
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 AM #52
jason_finnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
lmao thats actually pretty cool. but are you good enough to see the nerf coming and fire the net is the question
I can't imagine any field allowing this. Those black objects in the corners are weighted. No way to control velocity or direction when fired. I'd hate to be a foot grunt on the accidental recieving end of this.

Now, get someone to make one out of nerf balls on the corners...
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 PM #53
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_finnie View Post
I can't imagine any field allowing this. Those black objects in the corners are weighted. No way to control velocity or direction when fired. I'd hate to be a foot grunt on the accidental recieving end of this.

Now, get someone to make one out of nerf balls on the corners...
That's actually coke bottle which can be cover with foam or you can also use tennis balls.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 PM #54
Furb

Small bags of sand. light, cheap, couldnt possible hurt unless it hits you mask an sand just shrapnels your face it might feel it if it hit your mouth guard I guess.

Last edited by Furb : 12-30-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Furb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 PM #55
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Solution for so many LAWs for you gamers

Back in November I played at the Command Decision (ODX) Fulda Gap game in Taylorsville, NC. For the first time that I have been apart of a scenerio game. A field owner and staff had finally made a decision to limit anti tank launchers/RPG/LAWS or whatever you want to call them. It was such a great time for all that we had both anti tank on tank battles as well as tank on tank. Their rule was for every tank on the field there could be only two launchers. I believe there were approx 14 tanks there so you can guess the math that there was at least 28 plus/minus launchers on the field at any given time. I heard there was approx 1000 players there. Each anti tank person had to carry a card to claim his kill. I also think they could only have so many rockets on the field at one time. Plus all launchers had to be registered before they went on the field. This would stop any person taking a launcher on the field and not have a card. When a tank was hit the tank ref stopped the tank and the anti tank person had two minutes to come to the tank to get his card punched by the tank commander. They were the only ones with the punch tools. If they didnt come to the tank or tank ref after this two minutes the tank was alive again. When a tank was killed it had to leave the field to the designated tank area for at least 15 minutes before it could re-insert. As a incentive to the anti tankers the person whom had the most punched holes in his card at the end of the game won a prize. I felt as a tanker this limiting the launchers on the field gave us more a chance to play longer and to run over the field without getting taken out so much. Even with this limitation I was still taken out numerous times. But not to the point where I didnt get a chance to play and shoot and have my fun. I also had numerous encounters with enemy tanks and had several kills. So any frustration level that I could have recieved in other games for getting taken out so much because of the limitless launchers was not there for this game. I also got some payback on a few of the launcher guys shooting at me. Due to the fact there were a variety of tanks classed light/medium/heavy. The launchers had to hit specific spots on the heavy tanks for a kill. This same rule applied when light/medium tanks encountered heavies. On the light/medium tanks just about any place hit was a kill. So you see there can be a happy medium in a game as long as you limit the firepower. I applaud CD ODX Paintball for their gaming decisions and look forward to going back next Spring and Fall to play in their games.

I hope everyone is having a joyous holiday season and wish you all a happy new year!!

Treaddz
Team CroMagnum Scenerio Armor
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 PM #56
Gommmo45
A ripped man

Gommmo45 is playing at Living Legends III
Gommmo45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Gommmo45 supports Team VICIOUS
Gommmo45 is for the Gunfight
Have some infantry nearby and they can heroically jump in front of the tank, taking the nerf, and saving their armored brothers from an explosive end.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:46 PM #57
Furb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommmo45 View Post
Have some infantry nearby and they can heroically jump in front of the tank, taking the nerf, and saving their armored brothers from an explosive end.
I would not do that for any tank.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:45 AM #58
Gommmo45
A ripped man

Gommmo45 is playing at Living Legends III
Gommmo45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Gommmo45 supports Team VICIOUS
Gommmo45 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furb View Post
I would not do that for any tank.
im sure there are people who have been waiting all their pb careers to do that.