Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 04:31 PM #1
skatahazed
 
 
skatahazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 785
downgrading (sorta)

alright well right now i go to a small university, but its just not doing it for me. im a freshman going onto my second semester here soon and im not doing so well. would it be better to transfer to a larger community college which i have heard from alot of people is really easy and get my gen ed classes out of the way and possibly search for a new major in the time being?
__________________
Quiting sale!!!! bring me car audio, car electronics, or anything car related!!!!!!!
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
skatahazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2009, 04:38 PM #2
ringldr21
Sean
 
ringldr21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ill dekalb
Annual Supporting Member
ringldr21 donated to help Peyton Trent
not doing so well because of classes or do you feel like you're not fitting in?
ringldr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 PM #3
skatahazed
 
 
skatahazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringldr21 View Post
not doing so well because of classes or do you feel like you're not fitting in?
theres nothing ever going on and i have heard good things about that school cause i have a couple buddies who live in that area, but my classes arent going so well cause im not really motivated to do anything here because of the lack of things to do .
__________________
Quiting sale!!!! bring me car audio, car electronics, or anything car related!!!!!!!
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
skatahazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:56 PM #4
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights
 
Burninator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
that doesnt make sense to me.

Think about it like this. You can either tough it out and take the classes at the crappy college or you can just not be motivated to do anything and work as a manager at burger king for the rest of your life. lol

The college i go to sucks horribly. I just kinda tough it out because its just 2 semesters and then just 6 more until i graduate. Better than continuing to work crappy jobs.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:03 PM #5
skatahazed
 
 
skatahazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
that doesnt make sense to me.

Think about it like this. You can either tough it out and take the classes at the crappy college or you can just not be motivated to do anything and work as a manager at burger king for the rest of your life. lol

The college i go to sucks horribly. I just kinda tough it out because its just 2 semesters and then just 6 more until i graduate. Better than continuing to work crappy jobs.
im just thinking about switching schools. right now i go to a small boring one, but its boring so i dont get anything done. im thinking a bigger college with more to do would be better to get things accomplished.
__________________
Quiting sale!!!! bring me car audio, car electronics, or anything car related!!!!!!!
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
skatahazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 PM #6
bnctaj
 
 
bnctaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Also known as transferring to a college where there's more **** to do so you get nothing done because you spend time doing "extracurricular" activities.

Transfer if you want, but know that the number one issue with regards to your grades is going to be your own self motivation.
__________________
گرگ باش مثل من مثل ببر مثل جغد تو پرسه های شهر مثل سنگ تو لحظه ها سخت تو عرصه ها تنگ
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 PM #7
Umami
Mad as a hatter
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatahazed View Post
im just thinking about switching schools. right now i go to a small boring one, but its boring so i dont get anything done. im thinking a bigger college with more to do would be better to get things accomplished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
Also known as transferring to a college where there's more **** to do so you get nothing done because you spend time doing "extracurricular" activities.

Transfer if you want, but know that the number one issue with regards to your grades is going to be your own self motivation.
This man speaks truth. If you're bored where you are, you need to re-assess whether or not you want to be in school at all. Your grades will probably suffer even more if you transfer to a local community college where you can be distracted by your buddies.

On a side note, the first few semesters of Gen Ed classes suck for a lot of people. The key is taking a broad range of classes so you might strike gold in one of them and find something you might really be interested in. Then you can major in whatever that may be, and the rest of your time there could actually be exciting.

Maybe you just need to meet some new people at your new school to hang out with on weekends, and spend more time studying the rest of the week?
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 PM #8
pb1bg
Penn State Behrend
 
pb1bg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
here is my advice like everyone has said gen eds can suck *** that is why i went to college with my major declared and got my feet wet right away on what the rest of my life may be like. met with other students in my major and i can't ever see myself having a better time in my life but maybe. going to a community school may hurt you. acouple of reasons.
1. some community college credits won't transfer to other schools such as private schools so make sure your credits transfer to the school you want to go to next
2. there is a reason why community colleges are cheaper and its because the education you get there isn't as good as actual universities. it may hurt you when you take your major courses or even effect your pay when you get your job because you classes may not be as credible.
__________________
Gear Bag Sale

WTB ANYTHING
pb1bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 PM #9
PbGoods
Need to pay student loans
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
PbGoods is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Maybe college isn't for you, I would first ask yourself that before you decide to transfer or not. You need to evaluate your priorities too, is having fun more important than your education? Yes, there is a time to have fun and a time to study. It is up to you how you divide your time up between those activities.

Also, searching for the easy way out of things will not get you far in life. Sometimes you have to tough things out and the good times will come later.

I am absolutely miserable where I am now, does this affect my grades? Not at all because it actually motivates me to get good grades so I can transfer to a much better school.
PbGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:22 PM #10
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee
 
mike45thab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cincinnati
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatahazed View Post
alright well right now i go to a small university, but its just not doing it for me. im a freshman going onto my second semester here soon and im not doing so well. would it be better to transfer to a larger community college which i have heard from alot of people is really easy and get my gen ed classes out of the way and possibly search for a new major in the time being?
go greek
__________________
K Σ
Born and Hazed in Louisiana
"Whatever you do, do well"

My FeedBack
mike45thab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:23 PM #11
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee
 
mike45thab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cincinnati
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1bg View Post
2. there is a reason why community colleges are cheaper and its because the education you get there isn't as good as actual universities. it may hurt you when you take your major courses or even effect your pay when you get your job because you classes may not be as credible.
I went to a CC for my first 2 years, the teachers there were better then the ones here at my current uni. The professors here show up and read off a power point for 2 hours then leave. I had a questions in one of my stats class and the professor to get a tutor, didn't even attempt to explain it. Thankfully I had some of my fraternity brothers taking the same class^.
__________________
K Σ
Born and Hazed in Louisiana
"Whatever you do, do well"

My FeedBack
mike45thab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM #12
icdballer27
Nasir Jones
 
icdballer27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: College Park, MD
transfer to a bigger school you wont regret it and your grades will be fine
icdballer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:30 AM #13
pntbllrsprky
I R Baboon
 
pntbllrsprky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Minnesota
pntbllrsprky is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1bg View Post
1. some community college credits won't transfer to other schools such as private schools so make sure your credits transfer to the school you want to go to next
2. there is a reason why community colleges are cheaper and its because the education you get there isn't as good as actual universities. it may hurt you when you take your major courses or even effect your pay when you get your job because you classes may not be as credible.
1. Its called getting an AA/AS, those pretty much transfer no matter what. Also most community colleges also work with colleges in the area and actually have lists of what classes will transfer (most do).

2. First off, community colleges aren't cheaper. The university I am going to next year is the same price as it would if I stayed at the community college. And the big difference, the uni gives us all our books free.

Also, community colleges (at least around here) fill up quickly on math and science classes because they are limited to like 30 people in size, transfer to the U of Mn, are the same exact class, and the teacher can actually help you when you have a problem.

Also, I have some teachers that could easily teach at top schools in the nation, that simply don't want to. They like the community college feel.


Unrelated. Get involved with student activities.

I am secretary of the libertarian club on campus, we also have a book club, I am helping with the student republicans, member of the computer club, a round table discussion group (no idea why), outdoor club (hiking and camping and such), philosophy book club.

Even with all that, a full schedule of classes, and working 20 hours a week, I managed to get everything done and still have time to nerd out with friends.
pntbllrsprky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:27 PM #14
Boilermaker Special
 
 
Boilermaker Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45thab View Post
go greek
If you want to have no free time, going greek is for you!

I love it.
__________________
Just your typical Engineering Student Engineer!
ΛΧΑ
Boilermaker Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump