Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 AM #1
wavesport001

Question Question about "kinds"

If god created many "kinds" of organisms, and those "kinds" are incapable of changing into other "kinds", then what "kind" is Archaeopteryx?

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2009, 09:42 AM #2
OA paintball
Matt Ragsdale

has been a member for 10 years
OA paintball plays in the APPA beginner division
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Aves
Order: Archaeopterygiformes
Family: Archaeopterygidae
Genus: Archaeopteryx

or... im sort of lost on your question lol but i hope that helps
PJ's and no shirt; smoke weed eat yogurt.
OA paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:42 PM #3
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

care to elaborate?

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 PM #4
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
If god created many "kinds" of organisms, and those "kinds" are incapable of changing into other "kinds", then what "kind" is Archaeopteryx?
a reptibirdicon of course.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:08 AM #5
wavesport001

Is it bird "kind" or reptile "kind"?

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
Old 12-19-2009, 06:53 AM #6
OA paintball
Matt Ragsdale

OA paintball plays in the APPA beginner division
Class: Aves

'tis a bird my friend.
PJ's and no shirt; smoke weed eat yogurt.
OA paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 AM #7
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Technically birds (aves) are considered part of Reptilia now.

Aves is a sub-clade of Coelurosauria which is a sub-clade of Dinosauria which is a sub-clade of Reptilia.
http://tolweb.org/Coelurosauria/15769
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos

Last edited by Crede777 : 12-19-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:07 AM #8
wavesport001

Right but my question is really aimed at creationists who claim that god created different kinds of organisms and that one kind can't become another kind. Archaeopteryx has as many avian features as reptilian features, so which kind is it?

Old 12-19-2009, 11:52 AM #9
vanquish_v12

Quote:
Right but my question is really aimed at creationists who claim that god created different kinds of organisms and that one kind can't become another kind. Archaeopteryx has as many avian features as reptilian features, so which kind is it?
Neither. Archaeopteryx is obviously just a fossil put in the ground by satan to try to test our faith and make us stray from the path of god.

BTW, there are people out there who actually believe this. srsly.
"Originally posted by Darryl Hadfield: Don't be silly. God doesn't make crap."
vanquish_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 PM #10
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Quote:
You're assuming that God created just a reptile "kind" and just a bird "kind." I don't see why the kinds have to consist of such large groups. Couldn't "kinds" be very, very specific and there just be a ton of them?
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Old 12-19-2009, 07:34 PM #11
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Kinds = a term used by apologists to keep their faith in check.
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:14 AM #12
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
Kinds = a term used by apologists to keep their faith in check, as understood by non-believers.
fixed.
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 AM #13
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
fixed.
by non-literal creationists you mean. I have no problem with gap theory, personally.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:10 PM #14
Flying_Dutchman

I'm gonna be a nominalist on this one (or at the very least a conceptualist), Hsilman. Don't you think that's the way to go when referring to large classes?

I mean whether we call this that has reptilian and avian properties a reptile or a bird is pretty ambigious.
Flying_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:08 PM #15
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
by non-literal creationists you mean. I have no problem with gap theory, personally.
I am a "literalist", but depending on definition, I suppose. I also lean to a gap-type theory. kinds are esentially a broader definition than the modern "species". it is what it is. it isn't a theological-conspiracy.

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:10 AM #16
wavesport001

Quote:
kinds are esentially a broader definition than the modern "species"
How much broader? Where do you draw the line? Has anyone actually specified what separates one kind from another or do you just leave it at a general definition?

Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 AM #17
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

The Bible doesn't specify. it isn't a science-book, never was. it is a theological book. a kind is a kind. it is not and never was supposed to equate with species. it's just not that important.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 PM #18
akatch79
Queen of the Norse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish_v12 View Post
Neither. Archaeopteryx is obviously just a fossil put in the ground by satan to try to test our faith and make us stray from the path of god.

BTW, there are people out there who actually believe this. srsly.
This is a truthy answer.
akatch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:39 PM #19
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Not even science books define what separates one kind from another. There are numerous different species definitions and none has proven to be without its problems.

There's the biological definition (if two organisms can mate and produce viable offspring, they are of the same species), but that has a problem with ring species. Ring species are species which live in a ring around a large geographic barrier such as a lake or a mountain. It sometimes happens that one population of organisms can mate with the populations directly to its left and right, but cannot mate with organisms on the opposite side of the mountain or lake. So does that mean they are the same species as they can mate with the group to their right, which can mate to the group on its right, etc. Or are they different species because the group cannot mate with populations on the other side?

There's the phylogenetic definition (species are defined by their genetic make up and are arbitrarily grouped based upon genetic relationships). This is currently the most empirical method, but it is extremely time consuming, relies on arbitrary boundaries that set how different something can be genetically before it's a new species, and goes against commonly held beliefs (e.g. Chimps and Bonobos are far closer to humans genetically than they are to gorillas. Hence, it is highly likely that they are a sub-species of Homosapien but are not considered so because they have not traditionally been viewed as such).

Then there's the phenotypic definition (based upon looks and observable traits). This is the most archaic method of taxonomy but is prone to many errors (e.g. Whales are not fish but they have flippers and live in water).
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos

Last edited by Crede777 : 01-08-2010 at 02:47 PM.