Originally Posted by KiLLA TrixTa
I mean going to events and playing paintball with your freinds is cool and all. but when you get to a certain point of your paintball carrer it feels like a job.. and you actually need to know people to make it into paintball as a national player. my team used to play with greg hasting all the time. the dude on the video game cover. 3-4 guys on my D2 team where better then this guy including my self. and he was playing for XSV.
point im trying to make is. it comes down to money, and who u know. heads up to all the young guys who wana be AGG like the dudes from cerial killers
A few things here: Paintball is not a “Career” unless you are getting paid for it. If you are getting paid, it is a Job.
Next, most people playing paintball do it for fun and not because they want to be “Tony Hawk Pro Paintball Player”.
Third, Tournaments at local level and open play are for fun and for some they are stepping stones to the pros, but not for too many.
The ones that make it have the heart, drive, tenacity, conviction and the will to make it. Along the way they get recognized, but just like everything else there are only so many slots on a team. You either make the cut or you don’t. Most teams are looking for personality as well as talent. If you don’t have the personality to fit on a team that is already established it really doesn’t matter how talented you are. You can teach skills you cannot teach personality.
Sounds like you were not true to yourself when you started playing tournament ball. Commenting on being better than another player makes you sound like you are whining, and it is bad form. I get you are trying to warn the young ones that not everyone makes it to the pros, but you could have done it with more class.
Paintball is an expensive sport no doubt about that. However, paintball is no more of a waste of money than, Dating, Cars, Football, Lacrosse, Baseball, Hockey, IPSC Shooting, Video Games, Stereos, Big Screen TVs and the list goes on. One has to be realistic about one’s own future in whatever they do.
The trick to lasting in the sport is to figure out why you are playing it and what your goals are early on. You don’t need the latest gear to be competitive on any level. If you are constantly buying the latest equipment because you have to improve your game, paintball is going to be an endless hole that you throw your money into.
Bottom line, paintball is a hobby for 99.5% of the people that play it for the other 0.5% that play it is their job. Much like every other sport out there your Career in the sport will most likely be a few years and won’t span decades unless you are That Damned Good.