Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-01-2008, 07:57 PM #22
Cesar(TM)
Evil has met its match

well i think the cost of all new equipment could very well cause most of the paint manufactures to go out of business...
Old 04-01-2008, 08:05 PM #23
EasyEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar(TM) View Post
well i think the cost of all new equipment could very well cause most of the paint manufactures to go out of business...
you wouldn't need all new equipment, you just need new shell molds. Also i misread your earlier comment, currently there are no paintballs that are made without petrol products. There are very little things on this planet that are manufactured without petrol chemicals.

check this video out, all you would need is to change the mold on the machine, and the quality control holes where paintballs drop
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...54640369281174
EasyEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 PM #24
Cesar(TM)
Evil has met its match

true, but then you also have all the other "hidden" prices like designing and printing new boxes, printing new adds, ect. then you are going to have those companies that will continue to make .68 paint and .68 guns/barrels...and would need to find a new market for the new paint...last time i checked fields will only allow one size paint so you would have .50(as an example) fields and .68 fields...pretty much switching paint sizes now would be near impossible.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:20 PM #25
bustizle_a_capizle
The Dogs

well instead of switching paint why not make a standard size like .687 not .679-.693 so that way you dont have to buy a barrel kit.

(\__/) World Domination
(='.'=)
(")_(").

"You judged the length of another man cock, that was on your sisters computer. While downloading Twilight
Do you want us to call you a ******, or is that implied?"-igotaevo
bustizle_a_capizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:33 PM #26
EasyEK

making paint smaller by such nominal dimensions, may not lower costs or increase efficiency
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM #27
Cesar(TM)
Evil has met its match

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustizle_a_capizle View Post
well instead of switching paint why not make a standard size like .687 not .679-.693 so that way you dont have to buy a barrel kit.
the molds for paintballs are .68, you get the differences because paintballs are not solid, they expand and contrast...thus the need for inserts....
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM #28
EasyEK

hate to be a necro, but to all you guys who nay-sayed my idea 1.5 years ago...in your face...
Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 AM #29
wowzerz
Pump Karni King

wowzerz is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEK View Post
hate to be a necro, but to all you guys who nay-sayed my idea 1.5 years ago...in your face...
.50cal was out years before you even made this thread.
wowzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM #30
Texasballa24 (Banned)
TXGraphixPB.Com Owner

Texasballa24 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
.68 cal. has been used since paintball first origniated.
It will probably never change within tournament rules.
Even though .50 cal is becoming more and more popular.
I dont think it would be that much cheaper too. Knowing paint companies they will just knock 5 bucks off the price.
Texasballa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:24 PM #31
NadeMagnet

Wow the ignorance in this thread is astounding. Do you guys just think of something that sounds logical and that's enough to make it a fact for you?

Quote:
Is the .68 caliber bore just an industry standard, why don't we use really tiny paint like size .35 bore. Wouldn't it be cheaper to manufacture? Couldn't we hold more paint per square inch. Wouldn't Paint be cheaper?

then again we would have to make paintball chambers and barrels smaller
Yes
Because you can't see the hit. Been there done that as an industry
Yes
Yes
Yes
Before you think your off to a great start let me fix your other quote
Quote:
one point of yours makes sense, which is the marking ability, a smaller paintball would mark less effectively. In regards to physics if it is lighter, wind would not affect as long as the surface of the area of the paintball is reduced proportionaly. Lower surface area=less total force on the ball from wind.

The benefits of shooting small bore paint includes

1) Higher efficiency, less mass to move=less air needed to be released by the gun but you can't see the hit
2) cheaper paint per shot, less variable cost for paint since it is less materials per ball, btw paintballs are petrol based, which means as crude oil prices go up, so does the cost of making paintballs but you cant see the hit
3) Higher capacity for hoppers (granted the feedneck and drive cone are redesigned.but you can't see the hit
4) Smaller bore= smaller gun= lighter setup but you can't see the hit
There now it's fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar(TM) View Post
you can make paint w/out using petroleum...
Quote:
you are 100% correct, however i never said we can avoid all petroleum costs. What I am saying is:

1) Paintballs are affected by petrol prices much more than other paintball products, such as paintball guns
2) Since paintball prices are so heavily reliant on variable petroleum costs, we can reduce the size of paintballs to reduce costs. Small paintball=less petrol needed=less cost. On top of that. Smaller paintballs will have a higher transport density, which means that you can transport more paintballs for at lower cost of transportation per case.
You guys are missing the boat here. It doesn't matter how much petroleum based chemicals are actually in pbs cause (though if there even are any they're trace amounts cause we are talking about a biodegradable non-toxic substance) there is no shortage of said products. Gasoline prices have skyrocketed not oil prices though yes the cost of a barrel of crude is at all time highs the point is there is still more then plenty to go around. American reserves are almost full. There is no shortage of oil yet and anyone who says so is talking out there ***. There is shortage of gasoline because supply is outstripping demand and that drives the price up and why is that? Because the real reason gas is so expensive right now is because of dumb**** democrats and liberals buying into the ******* environmental lobbyist bull**** agendas. Don't think so? Think I'm just some dumb conservative talking out my *** even though it's a matter of public record and is clear to any willing to get off their *** and look it up? Then answer this. Why hasn't there been 1 single gasoline refinery built in this entire country in the entire 33 years I've been living? That's right. The last one was built in the early 70s. Every single one proposed since then was blocked by the dems. That may of been able to fly back then but there is how many more cars in the world now? Now we get to reap the benefits of not thinking things through and going with feelings about things like typical hippies. Here's a very interesting speech with a point of view that no one ever gets thanks to our oh so trust worthy media. Told to the san jose chamber of commerce by the founder of the weather channel as to why gasoline is so expensive and just how important a topic this is considering the shear amount of misinformation that is going around thanks to our media. It's a long read but worth it.http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=529_1213373975 Your not going to see that on the news are you?
Don't believe me. Don't believe that link. Don't believe anyone. Look it up the facts for yourself and form a consensus. Look up who funded the studies your looking at. Are they trust worthy? Have an agenda? Don't be sheeple! (Yes I'm aware of the price fixing issue but this is already off topic enough and will take too much to explain) The shortage of gas is the main reason it costs so much more then it did
The fact of the matter is things cost more cause things have to be shipped. It's the price of gas that is ****ing us and driving up the costs of everything not because things are made from petroleum based products.

Quote:
Lol in your face..... really? You might want to make sure it's a good idea before you hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. And necro? Is that some sort of new slang like agg? Last time time I checked necro was only short for necromancer or necrophilia. I hope your not saying you like having sex with dead people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzerz View Post
.50cal was out years before you even made this thread.
Correct as well as several other bore sizes not remotely close to 68

Here is the facts about the 50 since I seem to one of the few to actually see and check them out in person instead of pointlessly speculating online with a bunch of other people who have never seen one.

First lets address the video and pics going around showing the 50 hit is almost as large as the 68.
That's all fine and dandy if humans came in flat hard surfaces like fence boards. Unfortunately we are rather soft and like to wear cloths. The hit from a 50 in reality looks like spray and a small amount of spray at that.

Secondly is the breaking issue.
It breaks just like 68 do. I don't quite understand why anyone whould think the shell thickness would have be different with a different diamiter ball.
However the shell does not fracture into pieces like 68 the majority stays intact making it even harder to see a hit. Shell in a hit is one of the first things I look for in a hit to see if it's hit or spray when I reff.

Lastly and most importantly. This entire 50 caliber issue is a complete and total NON-ISSUE.
1. 50 is never going to catch on. You might as well play airsoft when it comes to seeing a hit
2. 68 isn't going anywhere. There has been other bore sizes since before many to most pbnation members were ever even born yet 68 stayed the standard. Don't beleive me? Look up how long nelson alone has made other bore sizes and how many different sizes they've made.
3. Field owners aren't going to so much as shell the money out for the inserts much less replace their 68s with 50s

Oh and too whoever that was that said fields are only going to allow 1 kind of paint please elaborate why that would be. At the least other peoples speculations kind of made sense but seriously, that's just plain stupid.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 PM #32
EasyEK

wowzerz, I know multi-bored paint was out prior to me writing this thread, but I wanted to explore adopting a size smaller than .68 as an industry standard. granted .50 isn't the standard now, but it has the potential to be.

also, im not saying it is the best thing since sliced bread; but nonetheless it has several benefits. If it didn't then paint manufacturers wouldn't be making and selling them, and marker manufacturers wouldn't be catering to this change.

the point of this thread was to discuss the possible benefits of smaller paintballs, and to discuss whether or not it is feasible to use smaller-bore paintballs.

prior to the entrance of .50 cal paint, many individuals here pretty much said this was a completely stupid idea that isn't feasible.

therefore, the fact that .50 cal is now regularly being used constitutes the "in your face"

moral of the story, smaller bore paint may not be super-duper amazing, but clearly the entrance of .50 paint establishes the idea as feasible, and arguably a good one.

necro=necromancer= in this context it means bringing back a dead thread, which is frowned upon, and is the reason why i apologized for doing so.

Last edited by EasyEK : 11-12-2009 at 04:25 PM.