Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 AM #2059
<<safety!>>
Pick Six Ponder
 
<<safety!>>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallahassee
<<safety!>> owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
How many runs do you get at the combine?
__________________
And im sittin back
thinkin of a master plan
trap goin' crazy
we smokin **** from Amsterdam
<<safety!>> is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 AM #2060
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by <<safety!>> View Post
How many runs do you get at the combine?
Look it up. And why is that significant?
__________________
85%
Kellster is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:18 AM #2061
<<safety!>>
Pick Six Ponder
 
<<safety!>>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallahassee
<<safety!>> owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
You don't know the answer do you. It is significant because with an extremely small amount of trials, namely one, your performance could have just been off that day. It's questionable to believe that moye could have gotten faster going into college but totally believable that Williams would slow down by .3 due to an increase in muscle? Show me what trainer would train williams to decrease his speed by that much just so he might be able to break an extra tackle every 100 plays.
__________________
And im sittin back
thinkin of a master plan
trap goin' crazy
we smokin **** from Amsterdam

Last edited by <<safety!>> : 11-01-2009 at 01:23 AM.
<<safety!>> is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:24 AM #2062
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by <<safety!>> View Post
You don't know the answer do you.
Lulz. Is this part of your argument? To answer your question: no. One: I don't want to look it up for you and two: why is that significant? All you have done in this "argument" is backtrack. How old are you? When you get to college, take some sort of writing class and learn how to formulate and execute an argument.
__________________
85%
Kellster is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:26 AM #2063
<<safety!>>
Pick Six Ponder
 
<<safety!>>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallahassee
<<safety!>> owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I'm pretty sure I explained in the above post. It is very significant. Maybe when I get into college I will learn to post pictures with skewed perspectives to point out how long someones arm is. I bet if you take a picture of me 2 miles in front of a redwood I'll be taller than it!

edit: I must have forgotten what TCHS said about you. When you actually have no knowledge of something, you resort to personal attacks to win an argument.

Or do you actually believe that the vast majority of college players going into the NFL are slower than at their Nike camp trials?
__________________
And im sittin back
thinkin of a master plan
trap goin' crazy
we smokin **** from Amsterdam

Last edited by <<safety!>> : 11-01-2009 at 01:31 AM.
<<safety!>> is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:33 AM #2064
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by <<safety!>> View Post
t's questionable to believe that moye could have gotten faster going into college but totally believable that Williams would slow down by .3 due to an increase in muscle? Show me what trainer would train williams to decrease his speed by that much just so he might be able to break an extra tackle every 100 plays.
Ok.

First of all: How do you know that David Moye has gotten faster in college? The only official forty time we have on this guy is the 4.65 he ran in high school and you've already said that you don't think he ran a 4.38. So, how do you know he has gotten faster without referencing Brad's "official" forty time, which you don't apparently believe?

And the burden of proof isn't on me. If you look at that list of wide receivers in my link, you'll notice plenty of players ran a slower time at the NFL Combine than they did at an official camp while they were high school prospects. And they all gained weight in college. Generally speaking, when you put on weight you will often lose speed. But you have to gain weight to sustain the physical toll of college football, which is much, much more physically demanding than high school ball.
__________________
85%
Kellster is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 AM #2065
<<safety!>>
Pick Six Ponder
 
<<safety!>>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallahassee
<<safety!>> owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
That's because you only get one trial in the combine 40 I believe. I just think it's funny that you can tell me I should go to college to learn to "formulate and execute" an argument when you post pictures like that as evidence. Is that what they teach you in bama?
__________________
And im sittin back
thinkin of a master plan
trap goin' crazy
we smokin **** from Amsterdam

Last edited by <<safety!>> : 11-01-2009 at 01:37 AM.
<<safety!>> is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:40 AM #2066
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
I'm not saying that most players get slower in college, just that its not uncommon for that to happen. Especially if they put on a lot of weight. Moye has gained roughly twenty pounds since HS, so for a kid - twenty pounds lighter in HS - to go from a 4.65 to a 4.38, despite gaining a substantial amount of weight, is an unusual case.
__________________
85%
Kellster is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 AM #2067
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by <<safety!>> View Post
Is that what they teach you in bama?
Interesting that you complain of "personal attacks" then resort to one in your ensuing post...
__________________
85%
Kellster is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:43 AM #2068
<<safety!>>
Pick Six Ponder
 
<<safety!>>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallahassee
<<safety!>> owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Nice ninja edit. You reap what you sow. Maybe if you knew how many trials you have at the combine you would know why it's significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
I'm not saying that most players get slower in college.
Your source begs to differ.
__________________
And im sittin back
thinkin of a master plan
trap goin' crazy
we smokin **** from Amsterdam
<<safety!>> is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:51 AM #2069
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by <<safety!>> View Post
Nice ninja edit. You reap what you sow. Maybe if you knew how many trials you have at the combine you would know why it's significant.
You have no argument at this point.

And you mentioned earlier that height results in longer arms, right? You realize that's a very broad statement? Why do you think that NBA scouts harp so much on wingspan? Height doesn't necessarily correlate to wingspan. You can be short and have long arms or you can be tall and have short arms, wingspan isn't determined by height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety
Your source begs to differ.
Generally, the guys that gained a lot of weight got slower and the guys that didn't got faster. Typically, that's the case with these things. When you put on thirty pounds of muscle, you're not going to run as fast as you once did.
__________________
85%
Kellster is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 AM #2070
<<safety!>>
Pick Six Ponder
 
<<safety!>>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallahassee
<<safety!>> owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
See post 2052.

edit: On your list, the biggest improvement in 40 times gained 25 pounds. As a matter of fact, scroll down to the WR category and see how many WR's gained 20+ pounds and increased their 40 speeds. Seems like a good deal did. Doesn't look like you nailed this so called "typical" trend on the head.
__________________
And im sittin back
thinkin of a master plan
trap goin' crazy
we smokin **** from Amsterdam

Last edited by <<safety!>> : 11-01-2009 at 02:04 AM.
<<safety!>> is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 02:09 AM #2071
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by <<safety!>> View Post
See post 2052.

edit: On your list, the biggest improvement in 40 times gained 25 pounds. As a matter of fact, scroll down to the WR category and see how many WR's gained 20+ pounds and increased their 40 speeds.
That's a good point and some guys get faster. But look at Derrick Williams - a Penn State guy, like Derek Moye - and look at his progress. Remember, he's getting the same training as Moye. Bearing that in mind, why would one assume he's gotten faster since high school? 2/3 Penn State players on that list posted slower times.
__________________
85%
Kellster is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 AM #2072
SYSTEM
Notomated
 
SYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
SYSTEM is a Mega Moderator
SYSTEM is a Supporting Member
SYSTEM donated to help Peyton Trent
SYSTEM supports Bob Gurnsey
Thread has over 2000 posts. Continue here: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3245982
__________________
This SYSTEM user account is not controlled by a person. It's primary function is to automatically split large threads. System also masks the identity of staff members who give infractions. If you have a question, or if SYSTEM becomes self-aware, please post it in the Talk to Mods/Admins section.
SYSTEM is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump