Old 10-30-2009, 09:10 AM #85
Buck

Buck is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Buck is a Professional paintball player
Buck donated to help Peyton Trent
Sport

–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Coin collecting is a hobby, making model planes is a hobby. Paintball is most definitely a sport.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 AM #86
jjokeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Sport

–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Coin collecting is a hobby, making model planes is a hobby. Paintball is most definitely a sport.
That could define so many different things. Warhammer 40k could be a sport then, it takes lots of physical prowess to paint those models and lots of skill to win.

Sure, playing paintball is a sport, but most people who play paintball are not athletes and do so as a hobby.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 AM #87
jjokeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 KILLA View Post
Okay you're right. But if its making you so miserable why do it? It can't be that fun if you're so negative about the sport. Just seems like you've been down lately jon
It's the people involved in paintball that make me miserable, not the actual sport itself. Too many self-indulgent little agglets running around thinking they deserve something because they have managed to finagle their parents into buying them a DM8.

I like the actual game of paintball, it is quite fun.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 AM #88
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Jon went straight to where I was going (I was taking the scenic route).

Sport and Hobby are not opposites.

Paintball is a sport, but it is played as a hobby (by most).

Chess is a sport, but doesn't seem to be an athletic activity requiring physical prowess.

Just goes to show, Webster's half ***** ****. Damn them. I'll bet they don't even have "agglets" yet.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM #89
jjokeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
Jon went straight to where I was going (I was taking the scenic route).

Sport and Hobby are not opposites.

Paintball is a sport, but it is played as a hobby (by most).

Chess is a sport, but doesn't seem to be an athletic activity requiring physical prowess.

Just goes to show, Webster's half ***** ****. Damn them. I'll bet they don't even have "agglets" yet.
Agglet may be the best and only thing I contribute to paintball
Old 10-30-2009, 04:34 PM #90
jjokeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver1489 View Post
hahahahaha

paintball is a sport that is played as a hobby and can also count as a profession for very few, but warhammer is definitely not a sport, neither is magic the gathering or warcraft, hate to break it to you lol
Obviously, but you are missing the point. I am not on these forums arguing whether or not paintball IS or ISN'T a sport. I am also not suggesting it be lumped in with Warhammer 40k and Dungeons and Dragons and Chess and Bingo, etc.

I am merely pointing out that we talk about community and professionalism as though this were a major sport. It isn't. When you talk about the pathing of a baseball star, hockey star, football star, or basketball star, almost everyone has the same concept as how you go from "little guy" to "professional". In football, you start out playing pee wee Football, start playing in School, continue on to College, and from there either get drafted or don't. It is a very simple road that some will choose to travel down. Same thing with Basketball, except sometimes you don't have to go to College if you are that good.

There is a general age range, ability set, path in place, and other factors that are common to your "rise to the top". Less traditional sports don't have these things in place, and paintball sure as heck is really lacking any sort of "system". I am not suggesting it have a system, I think honestly paintball is played the way it is meant to be played for 99.9% of the people out there. Casually, for fun, either in the woods or on a speedball field, and tournaments should be designed with that in mind. I know folks like TBO admonish the captains of the NEPL for not allowing PROs in, and so do I IF there goal is to be a competitive road to PRO STATUS. However, if that is not most people's goal, then it makes sense for 99.9% of paintball to exclude that .1% who want to do it differently.

If I sign up for a tennis league at my local park, Roger Federer doesn't get to play just because he's bored and needs something to do. Abby Wambach (women's professional soccer and also a friend of my wife's) played High School Soccer but was so good she pretty much only focused on travelling teams. Did it suck she had to miss out on High School? Yes. But she was willing to do that to be the best.

Winner's self-select. Benny Carrol self-selected. Blake Rice self-selected. Matt Darula and Tom Buckley and Billy B. self-selected. I am positive not one of them would say "but I wish I could play NEPLs too!" with any real conviction. You have to sacrifice to get to the top.

I think that is honestly what held Roger back. He talks a big game here on the net, but when I was around him (you Roger, I won't talk like you aren't here) it always felt like he was looking for the next ship to jump on. Yeah, if you jump ship enough you'll eventually become a captain, but with what crew?

Paintball either needs a system in place or it doesn't. Frankly I don't care so long as people enjoy what they do and find the right place to do it in. Hold strong, the economy is getting better, this sport will work the kinks out, and soon we'll have a bevy of little AGGLETS running around biting at Nick DeFranzo's ankles. Then I'll quit.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:36 PM #91
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
NeCanes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NeCanes is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
A tournament is meant for people to compete. By putting restrictions on who can play isn't really competing now is it? I think they should go back to how it was in the old and have an open division. Anyone that wants to play in that can and there can be inter divisional games like there was before. This will get lower level teams a chance to play the better teams. They will get better faster. Personally do I want to play the nepls? The way they are now? No. I don't think it would be of any help to me at all. It would make me a sloppy player playing them. I would rather do what Im doing now and get better.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 AM #92
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Jeez.... I take one day off and look what happens.

Well, I'm closing this and sanitizing it. If I start another thread targeted at how new(er) players can improve, I'll police the crap out of it so it stays on point. I hate mixing business (like threads that are meant to be meaningful) and pleasure (just **** talking, fight threads).

Shame on you!

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie

Last edited by J. Stein : 10-31-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Closed Thread