Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM #1
SG1

Health of the League

Okay so I have been out of paintball for 2 years now. I took a break to finish school and start my career and family. This last week I attended the USPL/NPPL in vegas and was so disapointed in the tournament. The play itself was excellent and enjoyed being a spectator for the first time as I use to be a NPPL ref and had never attended the NPPL as a spectator prior. Here are a few things that grabed my attention......

1. Where are the vendors? Where is the industry support?

2. The cleanliness of the field. As a ref the thing I respected most of the NPPL in the past is that they had the cleanest fields all the time. Having a cleaning crew that would blow the field off and wipe down the bunkers.

3. The people they had on the mic in between games. Now I understand that the league is ran by the players now but that dosn't mean you have to have idiots up there talking to people on the mis that no one cares about. As a spectator I wanted to know who is playing, who has won their games, and maybe when appropriate some nice anecdotes. Not what hot blode in the stands is dateing or married to what pro player.

4. Finally why the heck would you allow the RPL, a league in which is run by the very person that has put the NPPL in the situation that it is in now, to come and be a part of vendor row. Why????

Just my opinion you can comment how you felt if you attended.....
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM #2
scadreau

scadreau plays in the USPL
scadreau plays in the PSP
scadreau supports Cereal Killerz 2
scadreau plays in the APPA D4 division
1) That is a great question. I assume they had to pick their priorities due to money and they chose PSP for the most part. Hopefully next year will be better.

2) At least wipe the bunkers between games

3) I don't mind Todd and Troll up there, but more game information is definitely needed. Bring Matty in!

4) That was certainly interesting to see

I think the league did pretty good for their first year. I think most teams and vendors were skeptical and weren't ready to commit the time/resources to the league until they knew it would survive. Now that they have proven themselves, I think next year will get better. HB and Vegas events to bookend the year is about as good as it gets imo.
scadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 AM #3
SoTexBaller713 (Banned)
HATE

SoTexBaller713 plays in the USPL
SoTexBaller713 plays in the PSP
The bunkers were bad, the refs even said they didn't want to clean them.

I saw them wipe down bunkers ONCE, and that was like a quick over a few of them.

The venue was tiny.. 2 fields.. really?

The tournament wasn't too bad overall though.

the best part was probably seeing Camille because she is probably the prettiest female in the entire world.
SoTexBaller713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 PM #4
darkalliance1

has been a member for 10 years
the biggest problem i saw was having only 2 fields for 94 teams! Seriously NPPL? Or USPL who knows what it is. but anyways, starting games at 7 AM is completely ridiculous, especially when that is so early the sun has yet to come up all the way over the mountains. Set up one more field, and quit being tight wads. Shoot we pay you 2000+ for entry, the least you can do is set up a reasonable amount of fields.

Ebay: 24 positive -- 0 negative
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP... e=STRK:ME:UFS
darkalliance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 PM #5
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
Looks real good to those outside the industry as well...

OH WAIT
Buckfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 PM #6
mfrenia

mfrenia plays in the USPL
mfrenia plays in the APPA D4 division
i heard that a lot of the vendors were kinda pissed about the lack of business and thought traveling to the event was a waste of money.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:45 PM #7
kyle.muffty
P B C U L T U R E .TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrenia View Post
i heard that a lot of the vendors were kinda pissed about the lack of business and thought traveling to the event was a waste of money.
You heard right my friend.

I know times are tough and you guys are doing the best you can to keep the sport alive, but some of these people dropped thousands of dollars just making it out, let alone all the gear and other ****.

The league may be just slipping by after this event, but think about the vendors who went down beyond the negatives.

Overall, USPL did quite a good job this year, but clearly some changes need to be made for following seasons.
kyle.muffty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 AM #8
ThatGuy47
Matrix Man

ThatGuy47 plays in the USPL
ThatGuy47 plays in the PSP
ThatGuy47 plays in the APPA D2 division
How did they expect to get any business when you had to pay 10$ to park and 25$ to watch games with a retardedly annoying commentator?
ThatGuy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:32 AM #9
JJRoth

JJRoth is a Professional paintball player
JJRoth plays in the APPA Pro division
I thought it was a great event and a great year.
Honestly though if vendors are pissed about lack of business we only have ourselves as players to blame for that.. If we aren't buying stuff at the event, who else is going to?
Can't wait for 2010.
JJRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 AM #10
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
Vendors should have gone to world cup...

300+ teams registered vs. well not that many

If they chose to skip that, and go to this fiasco, then only they are to blame.
Buckfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 PM #11
mfrenia

mfrenia plays in the USPL
mfrenia plays in the APPA D4 division
i wasnt blaming anyone or pointing fingers about the vendors complaining, but i guess another big reason is the tourny being in vegas....its easy to spend money else wear in sin city.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:39 PM #12
NorCalMagic

NorCalMagic plays in the PSP
NorCalMagic supports Cereal Killerz 2
NorCalMagic plays in the APPA D3 division
most definitely.... i even heard people complaining and almost fighting the security over the $5 entry to the grandstands, then I see them dropping benji's on the craps table or bj... i had to lol.

I am a player and did not hesitate to pay the $5 to watch games all day sunday. I probably would not have paid if I didn't know the sport, I definitely know that my friends that don't know the sport would have laughed at that as well as the parking.

I almost thought about driving from the Riviera parking garage to the field in the 90 degree heat (there was thousands of parking spots but only maybe 100 cars, maybe... and $25 parking. lol). Or even transferrring to the Mariott or the Hilton which were actually closer which i didn't quite understand either, i guess they needed to hype the strip to get teams paid.

I seemed as though the mgt was trying to get the tourny over with asap imo. They were constantly in a rush and constantly rushing teams. But the pro's could take all day if they wanted.

This was my first national event, i wasn't too impressed and would rather have gone to WC but i don't play xball... yet.

I would safely say that less than 10% of the people there were actual spectators. Nobody on my team wanted to do any of the after party stuff or the gambling stuff because we had to wake up Fri and sat at like 5am cause our first games were right at 715am and we were done both days by 10am! lol. The pro's got to wake up at 10am and we saw them slowly walking to the fields both days after 10am! There was no way we could stay up late hanging out with anyone...

I had a good experience though but can easily think of changes that will make a huge difference. Also, our team literally stood (first) in line for almost an hour waiting for the registration to get their sh*t together, they started switching lines and didn't tell anyone. This punished teams that tried to get everything done early, like me. Couldn't they have prepared all the papers the night before? Not start 5 mins before opening?

just my .02 but i'm really not hating, i would enter vegas next year because i would assume major changes would occur.
NorCalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 AM #13
kyle.muffty
P B C U L T U R E .TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMagic View Post
just my .02 but i'm really not hating, i would enter vegas next year because i would assume major changes would occur.
I totally agree with you, I wouldn't hesitate one bit. The league doesn't have to jump on these issues this instant, thats no what im implying at all, rather that they just take not on some of the problems players and spectators came across. No league is perfect.
kyle.muffty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 AM #14
FatalKitty
I has the awesome

FatalKitty is a Paintball photographer
FatalKitty supports Cereal Killerz 2
FatalKitty donated to help Peyton Trent
FatalKitty helped look for balloons
Quote:
most definitely.... i even heard people complaining and almost fighting the security over the $5 entry to the grandstands, then I see them dropping benji's on the craps table or bj... i had to lol.

on Sunday I saw quite a few people trying to get in without wristbands, I also saw 10 or so people standing at the entrance to the grandstands with no wristbands watching from there (a ****ty vantage point but it was in the shade) spectators: it's only $10 a day, or $25 all weekend... they lowered it to $5 on Sunday to get people in, it worked. Get the hint? $5 grandstand tickets all day, no weekend pass, first come first served, if this is supposed to be a real sport... treat our spectators as such.
Honestly, I think a players pass should get you in the stands. I saw TONS of players that weren't even playing that day standing at the ends of the fields or sidelines in the players only area watching games from there. get more people in the stands, make the event look better... even the Beatles had to hire paparazzi

I am a player and did not hesitate to pay the $5 to watch games all day sunday. I probably would not have paid if I didn't know the sport, I definitely know that my friends that don't know the sport would have laughed at that as well as the parking.

I almost thought about driving from the Riviera parking garage to the field in the 90 degree heat (there was thousands of parking spots but only maybe 100 cars, maybe... and $25 parking. lol). Or even transferrring to the Mariott or the Hilton which were actually closer which i didn't quite understand either, i guess they needed to hype the strip to get teams paid.

the walk took 10 minutes, with my gear on my back and wearing sandals. What I thought was funny was why they felt the need to hold the event at the FAR end of the center rather than closer to the hotel... there was a TON of space between the venue and the hotel/hotels

I seemed as though the mgt was trying to get the tourny over with asap imo. They were constantly in a rush and constantly rushing teams. But the pro's could take all day if they wanted.

in the past events have gone too long and cause kids to miss their planes home or have to miss finals/awards. they tried to remedy that.

This was my first national event, i wasn't too impressed and would rather have gone to WC but i don't play xball... yet.

I would safely say that less than 10% of the people there were actual spectators. Nobody on my team wanted to do any of the after party stuff or the gambling stuff because we had to wake up Fri and sat at like 5am cause our first games were right at 715am and we were done both days by 10am! lol. The pro's got to wake up at 10am and we saw them slowly walking to the fields both days after 10am! There was no way we could stay up late hanging out with anyone...

really? I'm 28 - had no problem getting home at 4am and waking up at 6am to rush and get ready for the day. hell I've been doing it nearly every weekend for over 8 years as a DJ

I had a good experience though but can easily think of changes that will make a huge difference. Also, our team literally stood (first) in line for almost an hour waiting for the registration to get their sh*t together, they started switching lines and didn't tell anyone. This punished teams that tried to get everything done early, like me. Couldn't they have prepared all the papers the night before? Not start 5 mins before opening?

I'm sure changes will occur, the people in the league read these posts and they do the best they can, the life of the league depends on making the players happy
Old 10-23-2009, 04:43 PM #15
Ace of Spades

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
I'm sure changes will occur, the people in the league read these posts and they do the best they can, the life of the league depends on making the players happy
Actually the people of the USPL do read these post.
I happen to be one of them.

My name is Eryn Hardwick and I'm the new Referee manager of the USPL.

You might of saw me running around field 2 taking care of scheduling and referees on that field.

My main function is improving the referees performance. That goes from the calls on the field, positions and zoning the refs take, getting the teams on time to their games, cleaning and blowing up of the bunkers etc.

Though that weekend I was also printing players IDs, writing schedules, and even announced the 5man div's finals.

So yea I'm pretty much everywhere.

A bit of my background:

Captain of the now disbanded L.A. Wildcards. A divisional 7man team that entered the NPPL and XPSLís 7man tournaments since 2008-2003.

Currently the President of the Riot Tournament Series. A California 7man tournament Series www.riotseries.com.

I asked Chuck H. since no one seemed to be addressing the concerns on the board, if I could. He gave me his blessing so here I am.

Now to address some of the things that have already been written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
Okay so I have been out of paintball for 2 years now. I took a break to finish school and start my career and family. This last week I attended the USPL/NPPL in vegas and was so disapointed in the tournament. The play itself was excellent and enjoyed being a spectator for the first time as I use to be a NPPL ref and had never attended the NPPL as a spectator prior. Here are a few things that grabed my attention......

1. Where are the vendors? Where is the industry support?

2. The cleanliness of the field. As a ref the thing I respected most of the NPPL in the past is that they had the cleanest fields all the time. Having a cleaning crew that would blow the field off and wipe down the bunkers.

3. The people they had on the mic in between games. Now I understand that the league is ran by the players now but that dosn't mean you have to have idiots up there talking to people on the mis that no one cares about. As a spectator I wanted to know who is playing, who has won their games, and maybe when appropriate some nice anecdotes. Not what hot blode in the stands is dateing or married to what pro player.

4. Finally why the heck would you allow the RPL, a league in which is run by the very person that has put the NPPL in the situation that it is in now, to come and be a part of vendor row. Why????

Just my opinion you can comment how you felt if you attended.....
The beginning of the year for 7 man started pretty rocky as everyone knows. I think a lot of the industry/players wanted to see if the USPL would even be able to survive their first season. So I believe players and vendors a like where waiting for the dust to settle before throwing their support behind the new league.

I think you will see an increase in both participants in the following years with faith growing in the league and hopefully the economy improving.

The cleanliness of the field was an issue. I know for a fact every night the bunkers were washed off and the balls blown off the turf. In between game times I had the refs wipe down the bunkers and rake up the balls in critical spots. Can we do better? Yes and we will.

I think everyone can agree we would like a good announcer giving game analysis, history of players and teams. We will see what we can do here.

RPL issue.........I have mixed emotions like you do about this. We all know the history of Shawn Walker. But the USPL/NPPL believes in promoting paintball in general. We will not choose sides or black ball anyone unless they are grossly hurting the industry. We have already seen what industry wars have done to our sport. I am one for ending the wars for a slice of the pie and instead want to help increase the size of that pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalliance1 View Post
the biggest problem i saw was having only 2 fields for 94 teams! Seriously NPPL? Or USPL who knows what it is. but anyways, starting games at 7 AM is completely ridiculous, especially when that is so early the sun has yet to come up all the way over the mountains. Set up one more field, and quit being tight wads. Shoot we pay you 2000+ for entry, the least you can do is set up a reasonable amount of fields.
94 teams is close to the point where you have to have 3 fields. But it doesn't justify it. Games that start 7am sucks no doubt but it is only an hour earlier than normal. And we only went one hour into darkness. We could have gone with an 8am start time and then put games 2 hours in the dark. But playing in the dark with lights is way worse than playing early. Next year there is a good chance I will be in charge of schedule making. If not I am still going to ask that teams that had the morning schedule get the evening schedule the next day and visa versa.

Quote:
For the first time this year registration was kind of under new Management. Basically the RTS team came together with the USPL team. New hardware was brought in and there were some computer compatibility problems. Including getting all the computers on the internet which the APPA system needs.

It did take us a couple of hours to work out the bugs. But once that happened it was smooth for the rest of the event and we kept the lines down to a min. I do apologize for the inconvenience it caused anyone but now we have learned the lessons needed to be learned. Things at HB 10' should be very smooth when it comes to registration.

Wow this is long. Ok if I missed something or you want to add something else just post it.

Riot Tournament Series President

WWW.RIOTSERIES.COM

Last edited by Ace of Spades : 10-23-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Ace of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote