Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-07-2009, 06:47 PM #22
JFroese
Killing with a smile.

I think it's a good idea, but it's going to be one rough transition.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM #23
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

lioutlaws316 donated to help Peyton Trent
lioutlaws316 plays in the APPA D4 division
lioutlaws316 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
lioutlaws316 is Legendary
lioutlaws316 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadfootPB View Post
not unless it costs me less than $0 to adapt and costs less to buy paint.
true i just spent 1600 on my luxe i realy dont need to do it agian
lioutlaws316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 PM #24
$ATM$
24 Hour Banking

If this 50 cal thing takes over, I'll quit and play airsoft.

Is there any petition to ban 50 cal paintball yet?

Pump players are just better shots.
$ATM$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 PM #25
shiftyrides

shiftyrides is playing at Living Legends III
shiftyrides is playing at Living Legends VII
Well it comes down to this, large paintball companies have discovered that when they come out with a new marker every year that is just a remilled version of the last years marker and toss a 1200.00 price tag on it the people will get wise to it and not find it nessecery to purchase one every year. Thus profits are down and what is the easiest way to get everyone to go out and pick up all new equipment? Change the paint size! Same markers, smaller bore and same big price tag. B.S.! So smartparts figured out that they cant keep up with the rest of the game so they try to change it. I have several markers and countless barrels all in .68, I will not give .50 a second thought. Dont fall for the hype and the "strange" new members popping up on different forums talking about how great the .50 is. They are industry employees already starting the smear campaign .68. Don't attempt to trick your customers for the sake of dollars, it will end badly.

Just my two cents.
shiftyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 PM #26
Lothlin

Having just upgraded to an electro setup from having an A5, the thought of having to switch over to a 50 cal gun in the near future doesn't make me happy. Honestly, I doubt I'd do it unless conditions really forced me too; I went out of my way to buy a decent barrel kit right off knowing that I'd be able to use it when I upgrade guns, but .50 means that doing so would be basically pointless.
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 PM #27
FatalKitty
I has the awesome

FatalKitty is a Paintball photographer
FatalKitty supports Cereal Killerz 2
FatalKitty donated to help Peyton Trent
FatalKitty helped look for balloons
I support it. I'm all for the claims... I'm all for change... I'm all for it.

people don't realize that .50 cal is not replacing .68 - it's simply going to be an option. I don't mind the ability to carry and shoot twice the paint on me in a game while the guys stuck with their .68 guns refuse to keep up. It's like blasting that guy in the face that's been bragging about how pump players are so much more accurate and snap better.. yet you just double tapped him in the goggles.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 AM #28
KoenBril
Dutch Dude

The beauty of this all is that the drop in kits (like the one from PE) can be seen as a "upgrade" that will make your gun twice as efficient, gives you more accuracy and miraculously makes your paint cheaper! That would be worth spending $100 on? For pete's sake, people buy new boards for their new prophecy's and dm's. Those guns and hoppers function fine and you probably wont even notice the difference. This new ball is everything people have screamed for the last few years...

Last edited by KoenBril : 10-08-2009 at 03:20 AM.
KoenBril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:04 PM #29
JSkew113

JSkew113 is BST Trusted
JSkew113 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JSkew113 supports Team VICIOUS
Personally I'm not making any decision until i have the markers and paint in my hands and see how they work in the field. Anything can be made to look like its working well on the internet, or is a complete failure.
JSkew113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:23 PM #30
Tiggr_909
Consilium Dei

At the moment definitly no... I´m not so into the world market of Paintball but here in germany I think we have other problems. We don´t need more problems (conversion Kits etc.).
And personally I think (without testing it myself) the only advantage of 0.50 might be the price but this is not really proven as well. Cause even if they say it will be cheaper, companies can only speak for them and not for the Stores and especially not for the fields... Here in germany are a lot FPO Fields and if those fields spent a lot for the conversion etc. who do you think will pay for their costs?

So I think keep it like it is.
Do something against the situation like it is now without focusing on markers and paint. There is a lot other things where we can start.

Oh and another point is: I´m not sure if the tournament games really benefit from less reloading and higher FPS...

Just my two cents...
Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 PM #31
DJGreiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftyrides View Post
Well it comes down to this, large paintball companies have discovered that when they come out with a new marker every year that is just a remilled version of the last years marker and toss a 1200.00 price tag on it the people will get wise to it and not find it nessecery to purchase one every year. Thus profits are down and what is the easiest way to get everyone to go out and pick up all new equipment? Change the paint size! Same markers, smaller bore and same big price tag. B.S.! So smartparts figured out that they cant keep up with the rest of the game so they try to change it. I have several markers and countless barrels all in .68, I will not give .50 a second thought. Dont fall for the hype and the "strange" new members popping up on different forums talking about how great the .50 is. They are industry employees already starting the smear campaign .68. Don't attempt to trick your customers for the sake of dollars, it will end badly.

Just my two cents.
This is how im viewing this switch, the companies have ran out of ways to get people to buy the new marker, this gives them a whole new market, and a whole new platform to mess with, once again allowing them to put out a new marker every year.

Last edited by DJGreiner : 10-11-2009 at 05:10 PM.
DJGreiner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:14 PM #32
INpaintballer

INpaintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I dont think it will be any cheaper in the long run. If we change something as drastically as changing the caliber to be cheaper the game will change around that and we will start shooting more paint.
INpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:35 PM #33
iTz Nicholas72

I'm all for it. I'm just getting into paintball with my brother's ION and I like how .50 sounds.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:35 PM #34
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
I think there's no need for another thread about this on top of the 45 thousand we already have.

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:27 PM #35
waterdude
Nate

I'm up for it. Don't see any downsides other than people have to push money into the industry finally. I think this could easily change paintball for the better but I see too many people fighting it for no reason. Small amounts to get this going is all thats needed.
Muchos estupendo gear! <---

waterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM #36
team-titanium
steved

team-titanium plays in the PSP
team-titanium plays in the APPA D3 division
I think its only good if two things happen. Case prices remain 30-55 bucks but theres 4500 balls in them at least. AND they up the BPS to 15 again. I think id have a hard time seeing .50 cal balls, at anything less than 15bps. And I think there should be more than 2000 balls because its supposed to be cheaper and lasoya said you can fit 400 balls in a pod, which means almost 500 in a loader?!...soo thats basically 4 pods a case which = retarded.

Last edited by team-titanium : 10-11-2009 at 08:15 PM.
team-titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 PM #37
yota_oddball

So at cup I went to the vendor and I had my doubts and so on. Later that evening after games were over we were walking the d1 field when Chris Lasoya and others came out to test it. They shot a guy at home to show its visibility and beakability. For one i was really suprised at how easy you could see the balls flying(not as good as .68cal but better than I thought). As for breaking well.... Just to say a few bounced more than .68. (And this was evil .50cal so if the paint would have been lower grade I doubt you will ever see paint breaking on anyone). On the other hand the fill was pretty visible, much more than I thought, but it still was a high grade paint. Also the guys getting shot said it hurt slighty less than the .68cal.

Just to say, I am not for it or against it; however it is being overly played out to be better than .68cal. Companies need to let players decide and not push this just for their good. Just thought I would post this up

Last edited by yota_oddball : 10-11-2009 at 08:35 PM.
yota_oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 PM #38
iboomalot

iboomalot is a founding member
you can't fit 400 rounds into a pod unless its a DYE 160 then 400 is possible.

Best case is 2.5 times as many .50cal as .68 cal

0.16464/0.06545 = 2.515 to be exact

VISIT www.expandinghealthcare.com for 30%-50% off dental costs with Aetna for $9.95/month which includes entire family
iboomalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM #39
maniacmechanic

what will this do to field owners with rentals ??
all I own are Mags & AKA's
maniacmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:55 PM #40
pntballa47
rIcE rOcKeTeeR!

pntballa47 is a Supporting Member
pntballa47 plays in the PSP
pntballa47 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I just don't see how the store's/fields are going to benefit from this when it is suppose to cost the same to a little more for the .50 cal but allows a greater quantity within the same size box. Kinda seems that players will get to shoot a lot more (great for the players) but store's/fields get the end of the stick it seems.

.68 cal 2,000 case - vs. - .50 cal 4,000 case (only an to be an example)

so now fields would sell only 1 case of .50 cal instead of having to buy 2 cases of the .68 cal. Sure it does save the player from having to purchase 2 cases of paint but the field's/store's lose out on that 2nd case profit when the paint is where they make their money.

On top of that as mentioned previously stocking 2 types of paint ends up being costly and have to do any type of upgrades. Cost on the field's/store's always gets passed onto the players.
Hinkle

feedback
pntballa47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 PM #41
grumpy.old.man

grumpy.old.man donated to help Peyton Trent
grumpy.old.man owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
grumpy.old.man supports Team VICIOUS
I will wait to pass judgment until prices are announced. I fear that the savings isn't going to be what the consumer thinks. Bear with me.

I am involved in paint purchasing for a field in the midwest. Current .68 wholesale prices vary from roughly $20 to $35, depending upon grade, supplier, quantity ordered, shipping, etc. I assume most other fields buy at or near these same prices. I also see field paint prices from $50 to $70 at our local fields.

I don't claim to be an economist, but feel safe to assume that translates to an approximate mark-up of $30/case. Notice I called this mark-up, not profit. I realize this money is used to operate the field.

That being said, I would like to hear from some paintball producers on projected costs. If the potential savings is even 50%, that would be on WHOLESALE prices. That would then have to be moved to new retail costs.

If we, for ease of calculation, take the $20 wholesale paint and assume the $30 mark-up, it equates a $50 case price. If the wholesale cost drops to $10, assuming the mark-up, the new cost is $40. That is only a 20% savings to the player.

I, personally, don't believe we will see a 50% cost reduction. I don't know the details, but feel safe to assume that the actual material used to build the shell and fill is one of the smaller costs involved in the production. I realize that packaging and shipping costs should also reduce, but not to the level of 50%. I also think field mark-up would rise, in general, due to the cost of re-outfitting their fields with .50 cal markers.

All that babbling for me to reach the conclusion.....I predict a less than 10% reduction in RETAIL cost. For $5 a case, I will keep my .68's and save the money of re-outfitting myself.

Long-winded, but hopefully, thought provoking. Just my $.02 (or maybe $2).
grumpy.old.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 PM #42
ihateionhaters
Stay Frosty

ihateionhaters is playing at Living Legends V
ihateionhaters owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ihateionhaters owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ihateionhaters supports Team VICIOUS
ihateionhaters supports Team VICIOUS
ihateionhaters is for the Gunfight
ihateionhaters is Legendary
If you weigh it out, it brings more negative then positive, also it wont bring enough positive to balance out for years to come. Why change the industry and risk it all? This will either be the long term up-rise of paintball, or the downfall. If you changed the size of airsoft BBS, (8mm) to say 16mm or 4mm wouldn't it impact the airsoft industry so hard that they would either go back to the old 8mm size, or completely destroy airsoft? My guess is that paintball will either die or go back to its old ways if .50cal becomes the "new" size in paintballs.

eBay Feedback +400
ihateionhaters is offline   Reply With Quote