Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-16-2009, 11:17 PM #1
Invalid

Scopes.

Does anyone know if scopes or red dot sites are worth using in scenario games? Like are they worth the money or just a decoration to the gun.
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 AM #2
Hitman52

I'd say decoration. Unless you have a pump or have to make quick reaction shots, I don't see the necessity.

I find them more of a way to put a quick bead on target rather than take aim, that is what the side of your gun is used for.
Hitman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 AM #3
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Nope. Been there, Done that.

Paintballs drop like Rocks. Line of sight aiming devices are good ONLY for the distance they are zeroed in at. Say 25 yards is the zero.

You will be 6 Inches high at 20 yards and 8 inches low at 30 yards. Mostly a MISS for a head shot.

Otherwise, they Guy you are shooting at NEVER seems to be at the distance you are zeroed in at.

The possible exception is to use a line of sight aiming device Like a Red Dot or scope with a Flatline or Apex, etc. barrel that puts backspin on a paintball so it flies more or less in a straight line for about 30 yards.

I'm assuming you have a sight rail with an angled fed hopper like a Tippman.

What you want is to build yourself an Auto Rangefinder sighting system that gets the elevation right for any distance 20-50 yards for a head shot. How I got named Head Hunter. It worked....

TWO limitations you will have to live with. The sighting system is MORE accurate than your marker or paint.

Paintballs are NOT that round NOR accurate for a 50 yard shot. Might have a 24 inch ball pattern at 50 yards making the ODDS of a head shot maybe 1 in 4 rounds fired. But with a Burst Mode or Full Auto those odds are about 1 to 1 you will get a break before he can duck...

The rangefinder is muzzle velocity critical. 10 fps variance from one shot to the next is acceptable. 5 fps is great for field paint. More than that will be limiting.

A Faster ball shoots higher than the slower ball. At 50 yards 10 fps is a FOOT difference - a miss

So to maximize its potential, you will have to clean and maintain your marker in pristine condition for every game. If allowed, you want to use tournament level Premium Paint that is round and accurate.

Be warned, there are a lot of boxes label 'Premium' and 'Tournament Grade' that ISN'T. So ask around about paint quality. Most scenario games make you use their field paint anyway.

Anybody can build an autorangefinder with simple shop tools. Anybody Interested?

Send me a private E mail so I can reply with the attached pictures and How To files. ddupont@charter.net
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 AM #4
blackmagic71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invalid View Post
Does anyone know if scopes or red dot sites are worth using in scenario games? Like are they worth the money or just a decoration to the gun.
Paintballs don't shoot far enough or accurate enough to warrant a scope. However a scope will do all sorts of useful stuff like making your setup heavier than it needs to be and generally getting in the way of your line of sight.

AKA dont do it unless you're SUPER SUPER SUPER cool
blackmagic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:07 PM #5
JESTERTLS

Scopes are not the best option for paintball in my opinion but Red Dot sites work great for paintball. You can bring your marker up and be on target very fast. They make it so easy to train in on your target. It works just like aiming down the side of the marker but you have a red dot to match up with the target. Makes snap shooting nearly fool proof.

I recomend going with an off set rail. That way your site wont interfer with your hopper and vice versa. And its easier to site that way if you run a stock, unless you get a dog leg stock.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:16 PM #6
Pyrate Jim

Scopes = No
Sights = Yes
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:31 PM #7
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
There's a few circumstances where a magnified scope actually can be handy. Aiming a normal paintball unfortunately is not one of them.

The times I find a magnified scope useful are as use as a spotting scope (checking arm bands, seeing if that shadow is just a shadow or not, etc), and for guns shooting First Strike rounds. The FS rounds have a lot less drop compared to a normal round, so a scope is more useful over a greater range.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 AM #8
Boom Master
Scenario Player

If you want to learn to snap shoot, bring your marker up into firing position, aim and fire quickly, I have two suggestions.

Just mount a 3/4" PVC tube about 5 inches long. A LOT cheaper than a Red Dot. It becomes a 1 x Scope that can't get messed up with paint spray since it has NO optics.

Paint the inside a flat black, Paint the 'eye' side of the tube end Red.

Use wood shims and hose clamps around the forestock or barrel to 'zero it' in.

I put that on the boys markers and they became much better shots fairly quickly. Then they took them off when they didn't need them any more.

Instead of blasting a tree with their left over paint, they would play Quick Draw. 20 paces just like on Gun Smoke. No hopper, One ball only. Marker pointed at the ground. A third person would say "go" They would point and shoot. Go too fast and you miss, your brudder aims carefully for your jewel box. Go too slow, you die. You LEARN your rhythm real quick...

They got Good at snap shooting. Went to 30 yards, then back to 20 with head shots only, then 30 yards with head shots only.

Then they would go down in the woods with a trash bag full of 1 gallon milk jugs with happy faces painted on them with Magic Marker. On the trail, they would take turns HIDING those milk jugs where they could be seen from the path. Then they JOG down the path and would have to shoot those jugs on the RUN. Had to get from one end to the other in so many seconds or their score wouldn't count. It was a LOT of Fun for them and they got really good with PRACTICE... Learn to snap shoot in a variety of directions and while moving.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM #9
Furb

Quote:
unless your like right on top of a guy (20 ft away) i wouldn't advise a scope but if your in camo in the bushes then i might use one.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 AM #10
Justin BossPB
Boss Company

Justin BossPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I would have to say no to both the red dot and the scope. As stated above unless you are within the zeroed range of the the red dot it isnt going to be that helpful and when you are in the zero range you will be just as accurate to just pull up your gun, aim, and shoot. Save the money, take some time to practice your aim, and you will get the same results. Remember paintball is so inaccurate to start with. So many factors play a hand in the accuracy and one of the best things you will ever learn how to do on the field is snap shooting.
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Justin BossPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:42 PM #11
Dutchcamo
Scenario Player

has been a member for 10 years
Learn the limitations and range of your marker and practice snap shooting in your back yard and you will quickly remove any optics you may have spent money on.
Own your gear! And I don't mean by buying it.
Practice, practice, practice. You will feel the difference on the field if you do.

"The one thing God forgot to issue to humans was common sense!"
Dutchcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:59 PM #12
Mephysteaux
Pronounced Meh-Fist-Oh

Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I wound up getting a red dot for cheap and putting it on my marker. I have to say, it's pretty much useless, considering how inaccurate the paint is, and how counterintuitive it is to actually use the site.

Hellkatz present: Blues Brothers - May 11, 2013 - LVP South, Hatfield PA

Join Fitocracy, the free online social fitness game.
Mephysteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:35 AM #13
Furb

Quote:
I tried a red dot sight an all I can is yes and no an heres why.

Yes: All you need to do is point the laser down an an aim the laser at the head an you will get a good chest shot at say 30 yards give or take 5 yards. but this is only good if you can have a drop on the players your against like your off near a trail an you spot them thats when it can be helpful.
No: because a paintball will drop differently from the last as all paintballs are different from another by .0001 or .001 an so on meaning you cant shoot in the same place twice at the same perfect area twice perfectly as its nearly impossible unless you mount it still an both the paintballs are alike.

All in all its just matter of opinion for me I like to use it every so often just as noobs are amazed by it.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 PM #14
iacono112

iacono112 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
iacono112 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
No Scopes Only Red Dots
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 AM #15
RogueShooter

Red dots can be of some usefulness providing they're set up and dialed correctly. But if its not installed on your gun in a way that it naturally lines up in your field of vision without having to force your head into a particularly awkward position to use it, you're going to find you never use it. Then you have to take the time in the backyard with some paint, a chrono, and preferably a bench rest to dial it in. I like to dial mine in as close to perfect at 75 feet as I can get it, that way I can aim lower if the target is closer or higher if they're farther. Don't expect miracles, it won't be giving you perfectly precise one-shot kills, but it can help with faster target acquisition.

For instance- on my milsim Tippmann A5/Ak47- Red dot never got used because I couldn't easily get my head behind it with the stock, but I use an NCStar reflex sight on my Warp-fed Tac One with an air-through T-stock all the time and I do feel its made a big difference.
GOG/DLX - Valken - QuickShot Paintball - FogDoc.com - TechT - Deadlywind
RogueShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:07 PM #16
dabeast108

If you do get one, you have to remember that you'll be wearing a mask so you might not be able to see through the sight.
dabeast108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 PM #17
CaNoLi
UMBRELLAS

like jay said if there dialed correctly(red dot) then yes but not to far of a distance......scopes there good to see long distances .....thats it they dont work.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:19 AM #18
indy007
ND Toy Company

Contrary to what people say, there actually is a use for a scope in scenario play. It's for "Recon and Report" missions, and being able to do them from a distance.

That's about the only time you'll ever find a scope useful.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 PM #19
CaNoLi
UMBRELLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy007 View Post
Contrary to what people say, there actually is a use for a scope in scenario play. It's for "Recon and Report" missions, and being able to do them from a distance.

That's about the only time you'll ever find a scope useful.

thats what i said right above you
Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 AM #20
johneagle05

I have never seen a scope as useful in any game. Best to not spend money on something that could break or you would have to clean a bunch.
johneagle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 AM #21
Gommmo45
A ripped man

Gommmo45 is playing at Living Legends III
Gommmo45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Gommmo45 supports Team VICIOUS
Gommmo45 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
I think you should go with the thermal scope and silencer if you have bling.