PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-13-2009, 09:58 PM #1
danielkong916

Small leak

Hello,
I am working on getting an fep quest running. It is an 06 model w/ a empire HPR and I had a few issues w/ it that ive dealt with. The last one seems to be a small leak into what appears to be the grip frame. Not really sure where this could be coming from unless the solenoid is busted. But when it is aired up it seems to cycle fine. When it isn't aired up the solenoid just clicks away like there is no problem. I have replaced all of the o-rings and everything should be well lubed. I use hater sauce and triflow. I thought it might be my ASA leaking but once i undid the grips and flapped it up and down w/ my ear next to the grip frame it became obvious that it was coming from inside the grip frame. Any ideas? Thanks for all your help!
-Dan

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...=danielkong916

danielkong916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2009, 10:31 PM #2
chnk
faps

unplug the boared wires/eyes, remove the grip frame and clean and lube the soleniod gasket with a slim layer of sleek/dow33. btw i dont think triflow is a good lube for spoolies
chnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 PM #3
bomb_xero
LIKE A BOSS

bomb_xero donated to help Peyton Trent
bomb_xero has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bomb_xero has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
bomb_xero has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
oil bad, hater good, mixing probably bad
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM #4
danielkong916

ok cool i mainly use triflow to make sure the bottle threads nicely but I will keep that in mind. So once ive cleaned the solenoid do you think this will stop the leak? Is there any other possibilities that may be leading to this that are perhaps O-Ring related? I got my O-rings from marker kits.com so I imagine the ones I used were fine. Thanks for the quick reply and ill let you guys know if that solves the issue tomorrow when I can get some more air Thanks again,
-Dan

Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 PM #5
I need a name

Is this the quest that you just purchased on MCB?

It's near impossible to blow the solenoid so that most likely isn't the problem. (Unless the person was a complete idiot that owned it before....) I haven't had to play with any of my orings for a while but if I remember correctly leaks that sound like they are coming from the solenoid are caused by one of the orings towards the back of the bolt pin.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 PM #6
danielkong916

ok ill try that too! BTW this may seem like a silly question but after i have removed the solenoid then what part is the "Gasket" I am assuming that is something internally. or maybe its just the plastic seal that needs to be wiped off. LMK. I am much more of a mechanical marker guy and this feels like open heart surgery to me and id prefer not to have to buy a new one! Thanks again guys!
-Dan

Old 08-13-2009, 11:32 PM #7
danielkong916

When referring to the gasket are you talking about removing the 2 little bolts that are on the opposite end of the place where the power comes into the solenoid? They look like they are holding a piece that covers the end of the block. LMK if this is what I have to remove to get at the "gasket" Ill post a pic real fast just to make sure. Thanks again,
-Dan

Last edited by danielkong916 : 08-13-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 PM #8
chnk
faps

the gasket is the rubber piece on top of all the air holes (the other side of where the screw holding the solenoid onto the quest body)

u shouldnt have to take apart the soleniod at all, just take it off the quest body and itll be the rubber peice

Last edited by chnk : 08-13-2009 at 11:38 PM.
chnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 AM #9
danielkong916

cool got it hopefully everything will run fine when i get some more air tomorrow thanks for the help guys it means alot to me! Take care,
-Dan

Old 08-14-2009, 08:29 AM #10
eatafetus
knows you love it.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
eatafetus is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
eatafetus supports Empire
those are some nice arrows on your picture there daniel...

Good luck and let us know if it works out
eatafetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 AM #11
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
Do you have the LPR pressure gauge installed on your Quest? If so, what pressure is it reading? Too high an LPR pressure can cause the solenoid to vent off excess pressure.

Here's a guide to the o-rings and what problems they can cause: -

O-Ring Functions and Common Problems:

Bolt pin

Back o-ring (1st, counting from the back) - this seals air in to the back of the marker. A leak around the back of the pin can be resolved by cleaning and greasing - or if necessary, replacing - this o-ring.

2nd o-ring - this o-ring separates low pressure air from the solenoid, from HP air entering the back of the bolt kit. If this o-ring leaks, you will see a pressure increase on the LP gauge, and your bolt will be pushed forwards.

This may lead to your marker firing when you gas it up.

Middle o-ring (3rd from the back) - this o-ring also separates LP and HP air, though this time, the HP air in question is stored in the dump chamber. Again, if this o-ring leaks, your bolt will be forced forwards, and the marker may fire when gassed up.

Hard to tell which of these two o-rings is at fault, as the symptoms are the same, so you can either switch each out in turn, and see which fixes the problem, or you may just prefer to switch them both out - after all, if they are both the same age, they probably have similar levels of wear.

4th o-ring - this o-ring stops more air entering the dump chamber when the bolt is forwards, ensuring that the marker shoots from a fixed volume of air. If you have lower than expected shot counts when running long dwell settings, this o-ring may need cleaning or replacing.

Front o-ring (5th from back) - this o-ring seals air in the dump chamber prior to the marker firing. A leak down the barrel could be down to this o-ring.

Bolt

Rear o-ring - this is the bolt sail o-ring - the o-ring on which the LP air acts to cycle the bolt back and forth. If this o-ring is dirty or damaged, the bolt may not cycle, or it may be pushed forwards. Again, this could lead to the marker firing when it is gassed up.

The difference between this and the pin o-rings, is that a pressure change will not register on the LP gauge.

Middle o-ring - this is another o-ring that separates HP and LP air. If this o-ring is dirty or needs replacing, you will see the LP gauge pressure rise, but in this instance, the bolt will stay in the rear position.

Front o-ring - if this o-ring is dirty or needs replacing, it will cause a leak down the barrel. Again, it is hard to know whether it is this o-ring or the front pin o-ring that is the cause of a leak down the barrel, so you will need to either try each o-ring in turn, or replace both.

Image courtesy of z4ck, words by some tiresome, nerdy Brit.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 PM #12
z4ck
I ****in, I ****in...

z4ck plays in the APPA beginner division
You're not nerdy Uzi...just dedicated.
z4ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:47 PM #13
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo