Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-27-2009, 03:37 PM #1
karnagepaintball404

What should we do?

ive been playing paintball for about 3 years now i am 14 goin on 15..and i finally decided to move up put together a team and play in a 4 man tournament...me and a couple buddies decided to go to this tournament in springfield mo. it was division 3 and under.the problem was we were just rookie players that had no expirence in tournaments...we had no sponsers and finally scraped up enough money to enter the tournament...all i had is an ion with a bolt detents laser eyes all american barrel dynasty body kit trigger and feedneck...and on our team i had 3 other players..2 used a spyder pilot and my other friend levi had a stock g3..we looked like newbs coming out there in our cammo pants and homeade jerseys...and we had no practice...we got to the tourny and there was 5 teams there...these players had egos dyes angels timmys and the top markers and gear...we just had our cheap guns and we were nervous...we played eight rounds that day and lost all but 2 and 1 we tied and another we had ran out of time...we got 4th out of fifth place bcuz i think the other team let us win...but where we live the only field is woodsball but we want to play in tournaments..we are willing to do our best and practice and try to get noticed...we try to play as much as we can and we have upgraded our guns and gear quite a bit...the next tournament is the missouri state championships and we definitl are not ready for that and the tournaments are 2 hours away from my home...and my parents dont like me spending my money on all this paintball gear...so there not muc help...but please reply to this and tell me your thoughts...and we need sponsers if u guys can help we ae willing to ractice and do watever it takes to get noticed and hopfully someday be able to play woth the pros... i love the sport and my team just needs a chance and some coaching and i know we have the physical abilty and toughness...we just need a chance to show wat we can do...please someone help us.talk to me at kmiller404@hotmail.com

Last edited by karnagepaintball404 : 07-27-2009 at 05:23 PM.
karnagepaintball404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 PM #2
LockDown Zach
naughtydawgsfan11.

LockDown Zach plays in the PSP
LockDown Zach is an NCPA player
LockDown Zach plays in the APPA D4 division
1. Learn to organize your thoughts.
2. No one starts with sponsors, you have to work hard to get them.
Xcape paintball.
LockDown Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM #3
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnagepaintball404 View Post
we just need a chance to show wat we can do...please someone help us.
The tournament was your chance to show what you can do. It's an athletic competition.

If you don't have money, you don't practice, and you don't do well in tournaments, sponsorships are not going to happen. You'll need at least 2 of the 3 (money, practice, consistent tournament performance) if you want to get anything. My advice to you is to show up to team practice so you can play against those teams that beat you. They're going to mow you down at practice over and over, but you're going to have to deal with it and learn from your mistakes, as well as listen to what more experienced players tell you. Sooner or later you'll start playing better and begin to win games against these teams. Until then, you're just going to have to work for it. If your team cannot practice, find a new one. They won't get you anywhere.

In the mean time, read through this guide. It will help you understand how sponsorship works.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2667692

Please take the extra few seconds to use a reasonable level of proper grammar in each sentence. It makes it a lot easier on us.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:47 PM #4
karnagepaintball32
dude, that was awesome

karnagepaintball32 supports Team VICIOUS
karnagepaintball32 is for the Gunfight
hey the bushmaster messed up thats why i used a pilot. I am trying to build a speedball field at my house so that we can practice more. Thanks guys for the advice.
karnagepaintball32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:51 PM #5
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnagepaintball32 View Post
hey the bushmaster messed up thats why i used a pilot. I am trying to build a speedball field at my house so that we can practice more. Thanks guys for the advice.
No, this is exactly what you don't want to do. Do not isolate yourselves and play against yourselves or other inexperienced players. This will not make you better. If you want to go anywhere in paintball, you need to play against teams that are better than you. Save up your money and play at your local tournament field's team practice.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM #6
andyschein
OcD

andyschein plays in the PSP
andyschein owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
andyschein plays in the APPA D4 division
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
No, this is exactly what you don't want to do. Do not isolate yourselves and play against yourselves or other inexperienced players. This will not make you better. If you want to go anywhere in paintball, you need to play against teams that are better than you. Save up your money and play at your local tournament field's team practice.
exactly what he said practice with people better than you so you can learn from your mistakes and gain info from playing and talking to expericenced players
Best Field/Grass in the NorthEast
andyschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:40 PM #7
briguy4lyfe
i steal pods.

my first time playing speed ball i was using a stock spyder tlr with co2 dude and half the other team was on DC arsenal. dude i was scared as @#$# but thats how you get better at the game playing people that are better than you but dont use that mentality if you go into the game saying "these guys are gonna destroy me" to yourself cause they will its mental just play the game and have fun your day will come young skywalker.

dye i3s events
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post62930136

i gotta nice canon powershot camera for your airsoft m4
briguy4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 PM #8
Draxxus5577
MillerJ

Draxxus5577 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Draxxus5577 supports Team VICIOUS
Draxxus5577 is for the Gunfight
Draxxus5577 supports DLX Technology
Stop going to tourneys, your wasting money, save that money and practice at your local field. Dont worry to much about upgrading your gear, Your gear is fine for the level that your at.
If you do have any decent players at your local field please talk to them, watch them (in a non stalker way ) and learn from everything they do. Other than that play games with each other and get comfy with one another. Work on snap shooting, running and gunning and communication (the basics)
I hope i helped
Old 07-27-2009, 08:32 PM #9
brianwhite
louie ferrigno <3

1. dont worry about ur gear YET
2. practice against other teams AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
3. sponsorships will come eventually
4. stay on the nation and go to ur regional forums and find out where and when big practices are happening in ur area and ask if u can participate
5. keep practicing hard and dont give up
brianwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 PM #10
OGballer22

when i first joined my team, it was a struggle because i had to get better to keep up with the talent of my teamates. But within the first month i had improved ALOT. But the main thing that helped was i practiced against alot of d3 and d2 teams and even bushwackers, practice makes perfect.
the grimace
OGballer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 AM #11
OSinsOgre
It is O-Sins-Ogre

here are my thoughts that started similar in another thread.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3166486

Plus consider this, you are still a minor. Use this time to work on getting skill. By the time you get to being out of high school maybe just maybe you will have what it takes to be a serious contender on the pro level. Also hold your faith into doing good in school. many colages have paintball teams. Work that skill and leadership to beable to join them and then you will certainly have the start of your sponsorship there.

P.S. spyder does sponsor teams on the prolevel. So having a spyder pilot is not so bad.

Sponsors . . . ha ha. The team I was on once had several sponsors. Some we dumped do to not being realy worth having or conductive to our team.

Be carefull with the companies you do take as sponsors. Here are some good and bad.

We were a scenario team and we wrangled a group of guys who had their own paintgrenads. Really good grenades, great spread, consistant burst. That worked for the first 250 grenades we got. Then "issues" came up. They had a broken machine and only had one to make them. They were backlogged. We were sponsored by them and we could not get grenades? After 4 months of "backlog" we had to dump them.

Carbboom! energy/sports drink. Great product. Had them 2+ years.

Save Phace, great masks, realy enjoy them.

TnA paintball, never really had an official sponsorship from them but man do we get great deals from them. This is where doing good to them, bringing people to them, working with them, treating them with respect and being upfront with them makes a differance. I see people get rude with them and they wonder why it cost so much.

One we got through National/Kee, the product line PCS was bought out by BT and they (BT) only sponsor one team. So within 6 months we had a sponsor and then knew we were not going to get the new company to sponsor us and had to hold the product line till the end of the sponsor year. We were offered another prodcut to use for sponsorship but felt it did not offer us as a scenario base team what we wanted.

The field we did have (which is a good field) but because of an issue with the team captain and the owner of the field, the rest of the team had to share the black list and gossip talk by the regulars there. I never wanted a field sponsor which is my own thing, and many here may disagree with me. But usually only people in a certain area go to one maybe two fields. I have always enjoyed traveling hours to get to another field and meet people out of my area. Plus not all fields offer the wide varriety of play. You tend to know the one field the most and get into a pattern of consistant play. Plus if you are on good terms with the refs they may let things you do wrong slide. Also applys when the ref does not like the team or people you are playing against or they may not like you! Therefore, disapearing for a few more weeks while going to another field they may forget about you and be normal the next time you play.

Last edited by OSinsOgre : 07-28-2009 at 12:29 PM.
OSinsOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:07 PM #12
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player

Annual Supporting Member
Darthdoug plays in the PSP
Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
Yep, like others have said... STOP wasting money on gear, you don't need it yet at your level. STOP entering tournaments to be destroyed unless you have all the money you can possibly every use.

Take all that cash you save and go and play at the nearest fields that have speedball. Ask the owners if there are teams that practice there and ask to contact them about showing up, helping out, and getting some coaching or just joining in their drills. Be up front 'we're n00bs but we want to learn', and people will be willing to help.

Do this for a minimum of 10 practices (however long this takes, 10 weeks or 10 months... depending on free time/money)... then ask your coach and team you're working with if they think you're ready for another tournament. If not, practice more... get ready!
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM #13
karnagepaintball404

woodsball

i would love to be able to go to the paintball field in springfield alot more but i live like 3 hours away and my parents say im wasting money on this paintball crapand dont support me...but its a sport i love to do and my team "texas county terror"some of the players really cant afford to go with me to a tournament if i do get to go. but the good thing is one of the back players on my team is the son of the owner of our local woodsball field...so we get to go there alot..but the problem is in my area there is like no teams just players that play for fun...and im trying to get my local field to have a tourny but i know our team would win and it would be no challenge to the newb teams that use rental tippmans...i need some tips on what to do to get better bcuz really i dont have many chances to go to those open practices in springfield...maby i could if i could get my parents to support me...but nw i have all the gear i need to do good but i just need to work on getting better and practicing...mabye leave me some drills me nd my team could do when were together or when were at oou local woodsball field...
Old 07-28-2009, 03:31 PM #14
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player

Annual Supporting Member
Darthdoug plays in the PSP
Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
At the worst you can go yourself when you have a job and a license in a year or so... not much else you can do.
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:18 PM #15
karnagepaintball404

ya
Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM #16
karnagepaintball32
dude, that was awesome

karnagepaintball32 supports Team VICIOUS
karnagepaintball32 is for the Gunfight
well thanks guys
karnagepaintball32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:02 AM #17
fbowrestler

fbowrestler owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fbowrestler supports Team VICIOUS
stop worrying about getting sponsors and keep practicing sponsors will come eventually it just takes time just don't give up man
fbowrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 AM #18
mmieky
1-800-agg

mmieky helped look for balloons
mmieky is playing at Living Legends V
mmieky owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
mmieky supports Team VICIOUS
i thank gear has somewhat to do with how you play evreybody says that it doent matter wat you have its how you play and i agree to a certain extent. i thank you need a good marker and setup not only for playing purposes but if you have a good setup then that gives you more confidents in your self knowing that you can play to your full expection i would say to do what the others say and play with expereced players and invest in practices and gear that you fell comfurtable playing in

Snake Player Gang...
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...528421&page=23
mmieky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 AM #19
Vertigo_07
Vert

having good gear helps to an extent- having a decent gun will make it easier to put your skills to use, and having good pads will help prevent knee/elbow injuries.

However, nothing can replace confidence in your skills. If you know that you're good enough, that you've practiced, hell even that you've prepared all you possibly can, than as long as you have a gun you know will fire when you pull the trigger and put paint in a straight line, it doesn't matter what kind of gun your shooting. If you have a spyder or a tippmann 98 that can do that, then you don't need to worry. A spyder can make a paintball burst on target just as much as an Ego can.

Everyone else here has given some excellent advice. I'll do my best to offer up my own.

First up- you've been playing since you were 11. You've got a pretty good head start, and you've got quite a while to hone your skills. Don't give up. If your parents won't help offset the cost, then you'll need to wait it out and see if you can get a job somewheres. At your age, you won't be able to do anything on the books. Check around for odd jobs you can do for cash. Lawn mowing, snow shovelling, etc.

Second- you've already got tournament experience, so you know what you're aiming for. that said, as everyone else has stated, don't bother with entering until you've got more experience. With paintball, the best way to learn is to get your *** kicked. Play against people who will tear your team to shreds; examine how you lose. Practice, drill, and play until you correct those weaknesses, and eventually you'll be going toe to toe without a problem.

third- and this is most important- have fun, and never give up. Remember it's a game, and you don't have to conquer the world by age 16. good luck!

SL OG
Vertigo_07 is offline   Reply With Quote